Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coach Carlesimo says . . .

Default Coach Carlesimo says . . .

I had occasion to meet Coach Carlesimo today. Here’s how the convo went.
    Me: What kind of a team do you think Gonzaga will have this year?
    PJ: They’re going to be great. Fewie’s great. He’s a close friend.
    Me: I think if we get Jalen Suggs next year, we will go the FF!
    PJ: If not before!

Only way I see that happening is if Gilder is the second coming of NWG and even then, we’re too young to be experienced on the defensive end which is imo what a final four takes.

PJ is clearly a good friend. Not Katzian, but good; for a Fordham grad.

Is there a coach out there that isn't a "good friend" of Few?

He's impossible not to like.

I suspect everyone believes he's a great friend, prolly 'cause he is.

We could go to the FF this year, probably not, but all it takes is some hot shooting and the right bracket. Weirder things have happened.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I’m not so sure. It’s seems other teams are young as well. With the talent we have, it’s hard to count them out. Not likely to go FF but we’ll have to see our team first.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post

Romar?

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    Romar?
    THIS..... Good Call....

We could go to the FF this year, probably not, but all it takes is some hot shooting and the right bracket. Weirder things have happened.
    Randy "Blow By" Bennett
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Quote Originally Posted by 77Zag View Post
    Randy "Blow By" Bennett
    You'd be surprised how much respect Bennett has for Few. Not saying they are drinking buddies, but each time the subject of Gonzaga comes up while Randy is being interviewed, he has nothing but good to say about Few and the Gonzaga program.

Talking

Had a conversation with a guy who attended a GU Basketball camp about 10 years ago and said Few was really screaming at the high school age kids. "My first impression of him was that he's a real dick."

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    You'd be surprised how much respect Bennett has for Few. Not saying they are drinking buddies, but each time the subject of Gonzaga comes up while Randy is being interviewed, he has nothing but good to say about Few and the Gonzaga program.
    I love that RB hates losing to us. Stoke that rivalry, give us something to gripe about. In the end it’s a game and entertainment. If he was chumming it up with few and had lost 28 of the last 34 games or whatever it is, I don’t think he’d be able to maintain the respect of his players.

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Had a conversation with a guy who attended a GU Basketball camp about 10 years ago and said Few was really screaming at the high school age kids. "My first impression of him was that he's a real dick."
    I wonder how different that would be from their own HS coaches?? I'm guessing not much.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I wonder how different that would be from their own HS coaches?? I'm guessing not much.

Few’s not arrogant.
    Parlez-vous français?

Did this conversation happen recently or are we talking back to the future type shi?

the previous coach of SF Dons (Keating, Keening ??) did not seem to like Few.
    sometimes he would just say that guy up there, instead of naming Mark Few
    In my admittedly dimming memory ...

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Agree, ENOUGH of this "blow by" stuff. There's too much respect and commonality to acknowledge and appreciate. I think this years rivalry "may" be a little different than "normal."

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    the previous coach of SF Dons (Keating, Keening ??) did not seem to like Few.
    sometimes he would just say that guy up there, instead of naming Mark Few
    In my admittedly dimming memory ...
    Keating was Santa Clara. Rex Walters maybe? He seemed to give off an aura of not being classy.

I’ve seen the “blow by” when up against other coaches. I think it’s just sort his thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I’ve seen the “blow by” when up against other coaches. I think it’s just sort his thing.
    It is.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Keating was Santa Clara. Rex Walters maybe? He seemed to give off an aura of not being classy.
    thanks SeaCat
    Rex Walters was no fan of Few ...

I don't think Romar considers Few a good friend.

I have never liked the handshake line, and the sooner it gets abolished, I am all for it. We don't see it in baseball, the NBA, football and other sports. There is no rule that it must take place. It is FAKE sportsmanship to the highest degree, and I hate things that are FAKE but must take place because if they don't, a select few people will throw a hissy fit. I would be willing to bet that if they could, 80%+ of all D-1 head coaches would do away with the handshake line, but they know they can't do it with their team because the whole purpose of the handshake line isn't sportsmanship.....it is to give something for fans and media to critique on twitter the next day when they have more important things to discuss regarding the game. It keeps players dangerously on the floor when a court storm is about to take place, and we have seen one too many incidents of violence take place in these handshake lines (especially in high school) when the hostility between the 2 teams is at such a level that they just need to get to their locker room. I wish it would just be abolished. It's fake sportsmanship to the highest level. If other sports did it universally, I might be okay with it.

If you ever listen to Randy Bennett's biweekly appearances on KNBR in the Bay Area, he has plenty of respect for Gonzaga. You can listen to the podcasts on KNBR's website. I view Randy as an honest coach. There isn't much fake about him. What you see is what you get. And based on how he handles the handshake line against all opponents, including teams he beats handily, it's obvious he feels it's phony.

I seem to recall Coach K "coaching" another team's player in the handshake line; I think he was unhappy with something the player did and let him know about.

I seem to recall Coach K "coaching" another team's player in the handshake line; I think he was unhappy with something the player did and let him know about.
    I had a business owner, of another store, call up to yell at me. I told him that he had had a chance to hire me but didn't, so I don't work for you, and I hung up. He called back to talk to the boss and the boss told him the same thing.

Coach K has NO business doing anything like that. If he isn't on his team, just shake hands and walk on by.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I have never liked the handshake line, and the sooner it gets abolished, I am all for it. We don't see it in baseball, the NBA, football and other sports. There is no rule that it must take place. It is FAKE sportsmanship to the highest degree, and I hate things that are FAKE but must take place because if they don't, a select few people will throw a hissy fit. I would be willing to bet that if they could, 80%+ of all D-1 head coaches would do away with the handshake line, but they know they can't do it with their team because the whole purpose of the handshake line isn't sportsmanship.....it is to give something for fans and media to critique on twitter the next day when they have more important things to discuss regarding the game. It keeps players dangerously on the floor when a court storm is about to take place, and we have seen one too many incidents of violence take place in these handshake lines (especially in high school) when the hostility between the 2 teams is at such a level that they just need to get to their locker room. I wish it would just be abolished. It's fake sportsmanship to the highest level. If other sports did it universally, I might be okay with it.

If you ever listen to Randy Bennett's biweekly appearances on KNBR in the Bay Area, he has plenty of respect for Gonzaga. You can listen to the podcasts on KNBR's website. I view Randy as an honest coach. There isn't much fake about him. What you see is what you get. And based on how he handles the handshake line against all opponents, including teams he beats handily, it's obvious he feels it's phony.
    You're on to something here, though I've seen him stop and be gracious in a win or two, but I accept what you're saying.

Be that as it may, we all know Randy really well at this point, and we ought to be far more thankful for him than we often display.

Without anywhere near the institutional/alumni support that Few gots/gets, Randy took a dumpster and made it a vineyard. He's not doing it by paying players or recruiting jackasses. He's recruiting a ton of kids WE would call Zags in another era.

It's inelegant to have beaten the guy on the court year in and year out, over and over, and yet not just setting aside our non-basketball criticism and just appreciate what he's done, how he did it, and that he's still doing it and didn't run. Imagine our complaints about the conference without SMC being SMC, what if SMC just mirrored LMU's trajectory?

I think we're secure enough in who we are that we ought to just be supportive of "Randy being Randy" bc he's never going to do anything bad in a meaningful way, far more likely to do a lot of good.

We are really lucky to have Bennett loyal to the WCC and SMC. He has benefitted GU tremendously, and vice versa. I think they all know that.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.