Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CA becomes first state to let college athletes make money, defying NCAA

Default CA becomes first state to let college athletes make money, defying NCAA

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/09/...-defying-ncaa/

Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a bill Monday allowing California’s college athletes to be paid

Defying the NCAA, California’s governor signed a first-in-the-nation law Monday that will let college athletes hire agents and make money from endorsements — a move that could upend amateur sports in the U.S. and trigger a legal challenge. Under the law, which takes effect in 2023, students at public and private universities in the state will be allowed to sign deals with sneaker manufacturers, soft drink makers or other businesses and profit from their images, names or likenesses, just like the pros. “It’s going to change college sports for the better by having now the interest, finally, of the athletes on par with the interests of the institutions,” Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a tweeted video. “Now we’re rebalancing that power arrangement.” He predicted other states will introduce similar legislation.

I luv it... times of great disturbance are times of great opportunity...….or not....

This one's gonna' be in the court's for awhile.

Seems to me this will be to the detriment of the Zags in the recruiting process.

?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

All kinds of entertaining legal action this year....it will be interesting to see how the California Teams in the WCC react ….

Default California pay for play

How might the new California pay for play affect the WCC with most members being in California, and some not( Zags)???

Managing this site must be something like herding cats.....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Managing this site must be something like herding cats.....
    LOL I think people just mainly use the first thread folder because they don't want to read through the others and decide where to put it. It is getting pretty hilarious that this is the 3rd or 4th thread that has been started then moved.

Quote Originally Posted by 1973Zag View Post
    How might the new California pay for play affect the WCC with most members being in California, and some not( Zags)???
    It won't effect it all because the law doesn't go into effect until 2023. Also unless lots of states sign a similar law, the NCAA will strong arm California colleges by not letting them into the NCAA tournament or bowl games in the case of football. Your answer is in the question itself. Allowing students to profit off their name in the NCAA allows a clear advantage in recruiting to large population/large market teams. It might seem unbalanced to allow schools to profit from student athletes but I assure you that you don't want to see the day when a program like Duke and UNC can start getting recruits based on there money markets.

Posted this in a separate thread, but it applies here too. It won't effect it all because the law doesn't go into effect until 2023. Also unless lots of states sign a similar law, the NCAA will strong arm California colleges by not letting them into the NCAA tournament or bowl games in the case of football unless they abide by league rules. Allowing students to profit off their name in the NCAA allows a clear advantage in recruiting to large population/large market teams. It might seem unbalanced to allow schools to profit from student athletes but I assure you that you don't want to see the day when a program like Duke and UNC can start getting recruits based on there money markets.

Other states are already exploring the option. I realize it’s 3 years away, but if California holds firm, it’s chaos for the WCC amongst others

Finally players will get paid for their likeness. Scholarships should be left alone and boosters and companies should be able to pay players. It will not change the current hierarchy of college basketball at all. Duke will still be Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by 1973Zag View Post
    Other states are already exploring the option. I realize it’s 3 years away, but if California holds firm, it’s chaos for the WCC amongst others
    If the NCAA holds firm, it might benefit the WCC. Most players would rather play in the NCAA than get paid money and not get to play. It WOULD mean a reorganization for the PAC 12, with the California schools not being eligible. Even more so if Arizona is hit for sanctions.

Just how would THAT work? Kansas, and others, getting punished for having players get paid, and now it becomes OK?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    Finally players will get paid for their likeness. Scholarships should be left alone and boosters and companies should be able to pay players. It will not change the current hierarchy of college basketball at all. Duke will still be Duke.
    It won't work that way. It will go back to where it used to be when a rich (insert the whatever business you want) pays a star athlete thousands of dollars for a job that he doesn't have to do anything at, if he even shows up.

They already tried this and it didn't work.

I tend to agree with Stewart Mandel in his take in The Athletic:

The main argument I hear against this in football is that the schools with the most rabid boosters — especially those who own businesses — will turn recruiting into a bidding war. First of all, you’re being naïve if you don’t think this is already taking place under the table. Now there would just be paperwork and W-9s. Also, it’s being overdramatic to think businesses will start recklessly handing out thousands of dollars to anyone who dons the school colors. Like in the real world, the market will dictate which athletes command a new car (think Tua, Trevor and Jalen) and which ones get a few dollars to take their significant other on a date (think the all-conference pitcher).
    https://theathletic.com/1255043/2019...ege-athletics/

What I do like about it is that it lets athletes like Jeremy Bloom or Katie Ledecky be able to pursue Olympic athletic pursuits that the NCAA won't enable under current structures.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Much easier to cancel California schools.

So JUST when they are starting to get a handle on cheating, they're going to make it OK.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I tend to agree with Stewart Mandel in his take in The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/1255043/2019...ege-athletics/

What I do like about it is that it lets athletes like Jeremy Bloom or Katie Ledecky be able to pursue Olympic athletic pursuits that the NCAA won't enable under current structures.
    Katie's Uncle is a Gonzaga Graduate.....friend of Jack and I.....she is making millions....amazing athlete....

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    No problem...form a Northwest Conference with Whitman and PLU and Whitworth and St Martens and Portland and Portland State....or join the Big East...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    No problem...form a Northwest Conference with Whitman and PLU and Whitworth and St Martens and Portland and Portland State....or join the Big East...
    Or just exclude the Pac schools from the NCAA. I can't imagine that there are that many WCC athletes that would make any money while they are playing in conference.

Exactly. No problem. State schools would have to comply but not the privates. Sounds like freedom to me without government control.

Or GU can let their athletes market themselves in CA.

There is no way the NCAA can cut off almost their entire West Coast presence. There will be change that comes of this. Amateurism is an archaic artifact of British Aristocracy. It was doomed by American transcendence after WWI.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Minnesota legislator plans to sponsor bill allowing athletes to seek endorsement deals

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota...als/561868571/

Florida Rep Proposes Bill Compensating College Athletes for Names, Likeness

https://amp.si.com/college-football/...mpression=true

Ohio State AD said he is against the Fair Pay to Play Act.

"My concern with the California bill -- which is all the way wide open with monetizing your name and your likeness -- is it moves slightly towards pay-for-play," Smith said, "and it's very difficult for us -- the practitioners in this space -- to figure out how do you regulate it. How do you ensure that the unscrupulous bad actors do not enter that space and ultimately create an unlevel playing field? "One of our principles is try to create rules and regulations to try and achieve fair play."
    Link: https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...r-pay-play-act

ZagDad