Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cord Cutters....

Default Cord Cutters....

.... I joined you this past spring. I'm not going back, so I need advice on how to stream games.

Perhaps just tell me what you do? Up to and including, "well, I just don't get to watch that game."

Thanks!!

I've been able to watch almost every Zag game over the past few years between the WCC website, ESPN streaming through either a family member's cable subscription and then ponying up for a few months of SlingTV, and other occasionally less reputable streaming sites. You are occasionally going to sacrifice quality/reliability, and may need to turn your phone off to avoid spoilers as streams sometimes run a minute or two behind, but it's certainly doable to watch almost everything you want to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    I've been able to watch almost every Zag game over the past few years between the WCC website, ESPN streaming through either a family member's cable subscription and then ponying up for a few months of SlingTV, and other occasionally less reputable streaming sites. You are occasionally going to sacrifice quality/reliability, and may need to turn your phone off to avoid spoilers as streams sometimes run a minute or two behind, but it's certainly doable to watch almost everything you want to watch.
    Have you found you can watch all the Root Sports game via SlingTV (or maybe the WCC broadcast)?

Do you need someone's ESPN cable subscription to watch on Sling?

Thanks so much for your reply!

East-coaster here - this is the exact same setup that I follow

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Have you found you can watch all the Root Sports game via SlingTV (or maybe the WCC broadcast)?

I was able to get almost all, if not all, of the Root Sports games via TheW. Because I prefer watching on my big screen, I use the "Stadium" app on my Roku stick to stream TheW content. It works pretty well, though one game last year ended up cutting out which was unfortunate.

For Zags games on ESPN, you can either use the ESPN app on a streaming media device, phone, or tablet with a family/friend subscription login OR pay $15/month for Sling Orange:
    https://www.sling.com/#dyn-grid-plan-tab-1-m-1

I heard that people who are in market (on the west coast basically) have used VPN scramblers to get all the WCC games. The only ESPN games that I've ever had any problem streaming have been those on ESPNU.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post

A looked into Sling recently but it did not appear that I could get out of market Root Sports (I’m in the Southwest). I assume that Sling has ESPN in either their Orange or Blue package but am not sure (as an aside, a friend says that he can switch between Orange and Blue plans on the fly without extra service charges or ever being charged for both.)

I really like Hulu since I was able to save quite a few games for a while before they’d get bumped for space by other games. I’m pretty sure the only game that wasn’t available was a game against a non D1 opponent at the start of the yearz

I was able to get almost all, if not all, of the Root Sports games via TheW. Because I prefer watching on my big screen, I use the "Stadium" app on my Roku stick to stream TheW content. It works pretty well, though one game last year ended up cutting out which was unfortunate.

For Zags games on ESPN, you can either use the ESPN app on a streaming media device, phone, or tablet with a family/friend subscription login OR pay $15/month for Sling Orange:
    https://www.sling.com/#dyn-grid-plan-tab-1-m-1
    Looks like $15 is the first month at 40% off; after first month it's $25 a month (plus an extra 5 for hd and another 5 for recording). I had sling orange for a couple of months last yr and paid $35 for it. ALso, I don't think sling offers Root, even in the northwest.

i have had issues with the Stadium app on my Samsung TV... I might need to look into it on either Amazon or get an Apple TV connection. I watched a large chunk on TheW last year as well... just stunk to watch it on my laptop or phone instead of the monster-sized TV I have. Flipside was I muted either my phone or laptop so as not to bother others... meaning less Heister-banter.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    i have had issues with the Stadium app on my Samsung TV... I might need to look into it on either Amazon or get an Apple TV connection. I watched a large chunk on TheW last year as well... just stunk to watch it on my laptop or phone instead of the monster-sized TV I have. Flipside was I muted either my phone or laptop so as not to bother others... meaning less Heister-banter.
    If you are in market, The W.TV will be blacked out for your region. I believe the in market states are Oregon, California, Washington, Idaho, Utah. Living in Denver its not blacked out in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    If you are in market, The W.TV will be blacked out for your region. I believe the in market states are Oregon, California, Washington, Idaho, Utah. Living in Denver its not blacked out in my area.
    Yeah... being in NY pretty much means I won't ever be blacked out :-)
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I've had Sling for the last year here in Spokane. No Root Sports and no recording of ESPN, no CBS Sports, and in Spokane no NBC. So not great for the Zags, especially if you record games to watch later like me. The interface is really great though.

Last season I also had DirectTV Now (which has been renamed to AT&T TV or something). I was comparing the two and my wife liked Sling way better so we kept that long term. Once the Zags season was over I cancelled DirectTV, but during the season it was the best for me (could record both NBC and ESPN and skip commercials). Kind of sounds like AT&T TV is going down though, so might need to look elsewhere.

YoutubeTV seems like it might be the best since it has ESPN, CBS Sports, local NBC and DVR for everything. (My issue with it is that it does not have all three Hallmark channels that my wife swears by...grrrr.) So maybe if you are outside of Spokane you can combine YouTubeTV and theW and make it work. Hulu+LiveTV seems like YouTubeTV, just more expensive.

Not sure what I'm going to do just yet for this season. I record local NBC off my antenna to my NAS harddrive and can watch directly from there whenever I want and skip commercials. So I just need a way to record ESPN and CBS Sports. Will have to wait and see I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ZonaZag View Post
    I've had Sling for the last year here in Spokane. No Root Sports and no recording of ESPN, no CBS Sports, and in Spokane no NBC. So not great for the Zags, especially if you record games to watch later like me. The interface is really great though.

Last season I also had DirectTV Now (which has been renamed to AT&T TV or something). I was comparing the two and my wife liked Sling way better so we kept that long term. Once the Zags season was over I cancelled DirectTV, but during the season it was the best for me (could record both NBC and ESPN and skip commercials). Kind of sounds like AT&T TV is going down though, so might need to look elsewhere.

YoutubeTV seems like it might be the best since it has ESPN, CBS Sports, local NBC and DVR for everything. (My issue with it is that it does not have all three Hallmark channels that my wife swears by...grrrr.) So maybe if you are outside of Spokane you can combine YouTubeTV and theW and make it work. Hulu+LiveTV seems like YouTubeTV, just more expensive.

Not sure what I'm going to do just yet for this season. I record local NBC off my antenna to my NAS harddrive and can watch directly from there whenever I want and skip commercials. So I just need a way to record ESPN and CBS Sports. Will have to wait and see I guess.
    Don't you get local KWX channel in Spokane?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    Don't you get local KWX channel in Spokane?
    Yes, that is the local NBC. But I still want to record it and some of the streaming options don't have it. That is why I can use my antenna and NAS for those games. Just easier if everything is integrated.

One other option I forgot about is PlaystationVue. It is strangely named and not the greatest interface, but the channel lineup is pretty good. I tried it out for a week last year, but might have to look at it again once the season starts. They have local Spokane NBC, ESPN, CBS Sports, a DVR, and if you go up a package the Stadium channel which might work for WCC sports for out of towners, not sure.

Bad time to cut the cord, check this out:

https://wccsports.com/news/2019/9/19...greements.aspx

I have had DirecTV for about 18 years. I would like to finally quit for several reasons.
    I am fed up with their refusal to work out a deal for PAC 12 Network. They just keep getting more and more expensive. Etc and so forth.

But I can't yet find a way for me to stream Root NW. It's the only reason I have not cut the cord with DirecTV.

Had anyone figured out how to stream Root games in the Seattle area? Apparently theW.tv will be blacked out. And as far as I can tel there is literally NO streaming platform that carries Root NW.

Am I wrong? If not then Gonzaga athletics needs to apply some heat to Root before the next round of broadcast negotiations. Times have changed and nobody should have to sign up for antiquated cable or satellite boxes and all the extra fluff channels just to get zags games.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Bad time to cut the cord, check this out:

https://wccsports.com/news/2019/9/19...greements.aspx
    As I read the link ESPN and CBS Sports will cherry pick the best WCC games for the season. In doing so, I am assuming there will be many/numerous (?) Zags game not appearing on either network. Can it be assumed those games will still be covered by Root? Is Root still even a player on Zags game broadcasts not covered by ESPN/CBS? If not, then those of us out of the local Spokane market will miss a lot of games if not streamed by the WCC. Being on the East Coast the thing I hate about ESPN covered games is the usual late starting times, 10:30 ET. Betting the same late East Coast start times will apply to CBS.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    I have had DirecTV for about 18 years. I would like to finally quit for several reasons.
    I am fed up with their refusal to work out a deal for PAC 12 Network. They just keep getting more and more expensive. Etc and so forth.

But I can't yet find a way for me to stream Root NW. It's the only reason I have not cut the cord with DirecTV.

Had anyone figured out how to stream Root games in the Seattle area? Apparently theW.tv will be blacked out. And as far as I can tel there is literally NO streaming platform that carries Root NW.

Am I wrong? If not then Gonzaga athletics needs to apply some heat to Root before the next round of broadcast negotiations. Times have changed and nobody should have to sign up for antiquated cable or satellite boxes and all the extra fluff channels just to get zags games.
    I recently researched the heck out of this and ROOT is apparently not available on any streaming service. I've seen chatter about possibly expanding ROOT to one or more streaming services ut I am not aware of it happing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    As I read the link ESPN and CBS Sports will cherry pick the best WCC games for the season. In doing so, I am assuming there will be many/numerous (?) Zags game not appearing on either network. Can it be assumed those games will still be covered by Root? Is Root still even a player on Zags game broadcasts not covered by ESPN/CBS? If not, then those of us out of the local Spokane market will miss a lot of games if not streamed by the WCC. Being on the East Coast the thing I hate about ESPN covered games is the usual late starting times, 10:30 ET. Betting the same late East Coast start times will apply to CBS.
    I am going to assume that most (if not almost all) of the Zag games that were on ROOT (or the W.tv for out of market viewers) last season, will now be on CBSSN. Since ROOT is a local sports channel and CBSSN is national, CBS is going to want teams that move the ratings needle, and that means the Zags and maybe St. Marys. No TV has been announced yet (other than the Bahamas tourney on ESPN), but other than the Lewis & Clark game, I don't think the W.tv is going to have much of a presence. I wonder what this means for Heister and Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    I recently researched the heck out of this and ROOT is apparently not available on any streaming service. I've seen chatter about possibly expanding ROOT to one or more streaming services ut I am not aware of it happing yet.
    Does FSN streaming in the NW pick up regional games from Root? They have a regional network everywhere it seems but the NW. Root is part of the FSN family.

I knew it wouldn’t work for me in the SW but thought “FSN” on SlingTV and the like might actually be Root for northwesterners...

YouTube tv.!!!!!! I've been on it for two years. All local games and espn games and CBS games and all of March madness and u can record all of it. And u can share youtube tv with family. I split the cost with my brother. I love it

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk