Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Zags - Michigan State scrimmage 10/19

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    If he isn't cleared until next year, he is a redshirt by default.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    This!

Didn’t realize that Michigan State’s star guard, Langford, was out during the scrimmage. He’ll be out until January according to reports.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Didn’t realize that Michigan State’s star guard, Langford, was out during the scrimmage. He’ll be out until January according to reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    MSU's Josh Langford was out vs Zags.

He averaged 15 ppg, 4 rpg, 2.5 apg last season.

A 5 star, Top 15 guard.

We were missing Tillie, yet their most dynamic playmaker was out as well.
    Mentioned in the scrimmage updates.

Big loss for them. NBA shooting guard.

Cassius Winston was on the floor. He is their most dynamic playmaker. Langford is really good. Winston makes more of an impact at the college level. That might be reversed at the NBA level.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Arlauskas and Ballo will most likely be redshirting as of now. Ballo may not be cleared until next year and that was the staffs biggest concern making him a part of 2019 instead of the 2020 class.
    Not that I'm doubting your info, but just a point of clarification. ....is "next year" meaning next season or after Christmas break?

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    Not that I'm doubting your info, but just a point of clarification. ....is "next year" meaning next season or after Christmas break?
    2020-2021
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    2020-2021
    BZ, your presence is genuinely missed here... I hope life is treating you well...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    2020-2021 as BZ stated. Please also understand I said MAY NOT, that also means he MAY be cleared, just looking more like Baby Shaq will start playing with Suggs and Co. than this years team.

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    BZ, your presence is genuinely missed here... I hope life is treating you well...

Go!! Zags!!!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    2020-2021 as BZ stated. Please also understand I said MAY NOT, that also means he MAY be cleared, just looking more like Baby Shaq will start playing with Suggs and Co. than this years team.
    Given his age and the depth, I really dont think thats the worst thing that could happen for his development and long term career outlook

Smile More, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Spike#1 View Post
    +1
    +2

BZ used to be GUBoard's Numero Uno b-ball recruiting source. BZ knew stuff, betcha still does.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

More from the MSU end.

https://247sports.com/college/michig...age-137411945/

I like this from Xavier Tillman: “Their bigs are really good at sealing and ducking in and getting easy baskets and our bigs were just working too hard for ours.”

Quote Originally Posted by hushpuppy View Post
    More from the MSU end.

I like this from Xavier Tillman: “Their bigs are really good at sealing and ducking in and getting easy baskets and our bigs were just working too hard for ours.”
    Plenty of other good stuff in there as well. Thanks for posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    +2

BZ used to be GUBoard's Numero Uno b-ball recruiting source. BZ knew stuff, betcha still does.

:]
    100% agree BZ is the man!!!

As long as BZ puts down the beer and backs slowly away from the computer, he is a joy. Actually he is one of my favorite posters. I miss his -things to come statements.
    Last edited by zag buddy; 10-24-2019 at 10:19 AM.
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

Kinda alibi-ish all round. Izzo’s better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by hushpuppy View Post
    More from the MSU end.

I wonder how much of that is due to playing international ball for several years instead of just HS ball?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Anyone know why Coach Few, the coaching staff, and the players don't seem to comment on the yearly Zag scrimmage. NCCA rules? Team policy? Lack of Spokane journalistic resources? Other?

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Anyone know why Coach Few, the coaching staff, and the players don't seem to comment on the yearly Zag scrimmage. NCCA rules? Team policy? Lack of Spokane journalistic resources? Other?
    Modesty? Don’t they almost always “win?”

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Modesty? Don’t they almost always “win?”
    The program is pretty tight lipped about everything. And being the only show in town, the program exerts extra leverage on local journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    The program is pretty tight lipped about everything. And being the only show in town, the program exerts extra leverage on local journalism.
    This is the big thing. Also, it's just Coach Few's personality.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

until a couple years ago, NCAA rules were pretty strict (tho rarely enforced) about what information could be released regarding these scrimmages-- basically only acknowledgment that they took place. thus the label "secret scrimmage."

we all know how careful few is about following the rules; for several years our best hope at getting *any* reports were "leaks" from the other side. from the outside looking in, it appears there's both momentum and some amount of program culture behind the way few and the zags handle these scrimmages, and i would guess few doesn't see a compelling reason to change that, despite NCAA rules loosening and our desperation for information.

at this point it's probably just the way few does (and will continue to do) things.

Yet another reason to appreciate Few, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    until a couple years ago, NCAA rules were pretty strict (tho rarely enforced) about what information could be released regarding these scrimmages-- basically only acknowledgment that they took place. thus the label "secret scrimmage."

we all know how careful few is about following the rules; for several years our best hope at getting *any* reports were "leaks" from the other side. from the outside looking in, it appears there's both momentum and some amount of program culture behind the way few and the zags handle these scrimmages, and i would guess few doesn't see a compelling reason to change that, despite NCAA rules loosening and our desperation for information.

at this point it's probably just the way few does (and will continue to do) things.
    Here's another article that addresses this issue of scrimmage secrecy:
    https://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...2f9c7ee33.html

Apparently, the author views our scrimmage as being not-very-secret.

And off this topic a bit, the article I've referenced also contains a great quote from Illinois' coach Underwood that points out a benefit to teams that scrimmage that I never knew about:

"“I think one of the great things about these [scrimmages] — and I’ve done this with everybody — is we try to let opposing coaches come talk to our team and I go talk to theirs,” Underwood said. “It just gives you a little bit of an insight, a different voice, to hear what they think. Positive. Negative. Things to work on. That’s why these things are so wonderful. You can utilize that time in so many ways to help make your team better. That’s why they’re invaluable.”"

I hope our staff has been availing itself of this practice -- seems really cool to me.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    Here's another article that addresses this issue of scrimmage secrecy:
    https://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...2f9c7ee33.html

Apparently, the author views our scrimmage as being not-very-secret.

And off this topic a bit, the article I've referenced also contains a great quote from Illinois' coach Underwood that points out a benefit to teams that scrimmage that I never knew about:

"“I think one of the great things about these [scrimmages] — and I’ve done this with everybody — is we try to let opposing coaches come talk to our team and I go talk to theirs,” Underwood said. “It just gives you a little bit of an insight, a different voice, to hear what they think. Positive. Negative. Things to work on. That’s why these things are so wonderful. You can utilize that time in so many ways to help make your team better. That’s why they’re invaluable.”"

I hope our staff has been availing itself of this practice -- seems really cool to me.
    Great find SLO!

Very cool idea, and we can only hope Coach Izzo offered his wisdom/insight to our young guns.

Speaking of Illinois, they are going to be under the radar good this year. He has their program on the rise.