Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Zags - Michigan State scrimmage 10/19

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    So Woolridge, Gilder and Ayayi at the guards.

Kispert, Petrusev, Watson, Timme and Zacharov as the wings and bigs.

I hope we're allowed to use that 7 man rotation all season long.
    I'm hoping we add Tillie to the mix too!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    I'm hoping we add Tillie to the mix too!
    So we will have 9 in the 8 man rotation then.

Love it!
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Red face Fun Stuff

This fan perked up at the Timme reference as a 5-Star high schooler whom Izzo "heavily recruited." One, two, three, four, five stars.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    So we will have 9 in the 8 man rotation then.

Love it!
    Square the circle... I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Square the circle... I like it.
    Circle gets the square.

—Hollywood Squares
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Circle in the Square, NYC.

It's hip to be square

--Hewie Lewis and the News

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    Thanks guys. Oh my, how good can they get??? And how many off the bench will be drafted next year.
    MSU's Josh Langford was out vs Zags.

He averaged 15 ppg, 4 rpg, 2.5 apg last season.

A 5 star, Top 15 guard.

We were missing Tillie, yet their most dynamic playmaker was out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    If Gilder is within spitting distance of NWG, the Zags have pulled off a coup. NWG is a special young man. Looking forward to Gilder performing
    By all accounts, Gilder was considered NBA talent BEFORE his blood clot scare. He nearly lost the use of his arm. Very serious issue at the time.

Not a coincidence he declared for the NBA nearly 2 yrs ago.

An all around talent.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I am so sorry my direct, verbatim quote fell short of your “context” standards.

I actually felt that by not immediately posting the “Anton was probably the least effective of the starters” “tidbit” (again ... a direct quote)until the next day ... and AFTER the stats and more scrimmage info was out .... and also referencing the 15 rebounds as part of my post WAS giving it context. And at the same time providing the heretofore not public info that Watson DID start.

Again, sorry you’ve found this information “comical “.

As far as accuracy .... I’ll go with guy who was there
    Not trying to get in a pissing contest GZ. Somebody made a statement about the two freshmen contributing early and you seemed to come in over the top with negativity. 15 rebounds doesn’t seem ineffective. Coaching staff must find him effective considering he’s clearly in the starting lineup with Tillie out. I simply want more context. I don’t think that’s unfair to ask.

To coin a phrase, I’m guessing BZ was praising with faint criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    This was my impression. Basically, our "worst" starter had 15 rebounds. Nice problem to have.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Fair enough. Was simply curious as to what exactly made him our least effective starter.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Fair enough. Was simply curious as to what exactly made him our least effective starter.
    Sounds to me it's just that he wasn't as awesome as the other 4.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

To coin another phrase, we’re “Crying with two loaves of bread under our arms.”

To coin another phrase, we’re “Crying with two loaves of bread under our arms.”
    Fantastic, both.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    Fantastic, both.
    Thanks. Writerly. ✌️

In this earliest of this upcoming season, I'm felling pretty gratified that we have the goods to mechanically do very well. This implies we have size, talent and the other ingredients to all games. . What's been doubtful to some now becomes obvious to many. I've had some doubts about guard play. Now less so...…..I'd say with all the personnel losses, Tommy and Few have found a way to keep this a top 10 team. New faces we can grow with. 3 weeks till the tips count. Teams gel the last month of the season ie get hot at the right time. Some teams don't have personnel to even get hot. It seems we do. I'm hoping this is what this team does. Enough for a No 1 ranking come Jan or Feb? I hope so. We'll see. 15 rebounds?? Don't question the kid's skill when it comes to finding the ball.

I'd imagine part of Watson starting over Timme is based on pure athleticism. With Kispert and Petrusev the other frontcourt starters, adding Timme would give you 3 less then quick defenders. Michigan State is a very quick and athletic team. Watson, I'd imagine, is a quicker defender and more diverse than Timme. I do think that Kispert is an underrated defender and Petrusev's length will be an issue for teams. But as we saw last year, Petrusev was often late in team defensive rotations. Hopefully, with experience he has become a better team defender. My 2 cents.
    2Zags4Pups

My popcorn and beer tastes pretty good over here while I watch this thread. A closed scrimmage without the two best players on the floor and no defense to speak of, now we’re a top ten team with nba guards. Popcorn and beer.

Watson is a true three vs Timme is more of a ground bound 5. I personally don't think we can count on Tillie much this year given his injury history. I am excited about news from the scrimmage, but I still have concerns about our guard play, guard depth, and our shooting. I am thinking we are more of a top 15 team now vs a back end top 25 before the scrimmage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    Watson is a true three vs Timme is more of a ground bound 5. I personally don't think we can count on Tillie much this year given his injury history. I am excited about news from the scrimmage, but I still have concerns about our guard play, guard depth, and our shooting. I am thinking we are more of a top 15 team now vs a back end top 25 before the scrimmage.
    I only saw Timme play at Kraziness. I did not get the sense that he is a “ground bound” 5. That would be more Karnowski. Timme strikes me as one who can take someone off the dribble and bully around with out of area rebounding.

Timme is a good lateral mover, but does not have much bounce or lift.

Come March this will be a team that many wont want to face. We will have our ups and downs but I see this team playing with an edge and underdog mentality. Joel Ayayi needs to give us 12 to 15 solid minutes week in week out. Ravet hopefully will suprise me but I feel it will take him a bit to find his pace.
    America's Team!

I believe our bigs will be very competitive against any team with Tillie’s return, and the 3 spot will be covered nicely as well.

I also believe Gilder is a fantastic addition, but I’m still concerned about depth at guard. I think we are a skilled guard short (maybe a starter even). We’ll see, of course, and I hope my concern is unwarranted.