Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Zags - Michigan State scrimmage 10/19

Quote Originally Posted by kdaleb View Post
    Fantastic, both.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Last thing : Like Arlauskas and Ballo (didn't make the trip), Zakharov didn't play a single minute in that scrimmage. Not sure where the Athletic heard that. Gilder-Wooldridge-Kispert-Petrusev-Watson + Timme and Ayayi for about 20 minutes each off the bench. Those were the 7. Ravet played quit a bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilGolfZag View Post
    I only saw Timme play at Kraziness. I did not get the sense that he is a “ground bound” 5. That would be more Karnowski. Timme strikes me as one who can take someone off the dribble and bully around with out of area rebounding.
    IMO... Timme is more skilled than Cory Violette coming in as freshmen. I would be uber happy if Timme gets even close to Cory's stats as a sophmore.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    I believe our bigs will be very competitive against any team with Tillie’s return, and the 3 spot will be covered nicely as well.

I also believe Gilder is a fantastic addition, but I’m still concerned about depth at guard. I think we are a skilled guard short (maybe a starter even). We’ll see, of course, and I hope my concern is unwarranted.
    Must find a way to remain 100% healthy at the guard spots.

Honestly, our season rests on the shoulders of Admon Gilder.

Not saying he will be our #1 scorer or even best player, yet his presence, experience, defense, shooting, & scoring are incredibly important.

The backups may be talented yet have proven little and have an uphill climb.

Woolridge is a ball handler and in many ways, equally important.

If we want to remain Top 15 team, we must keep these guys healthy and on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags1993 View Post
    Last thing : Like Arlauskas and Ballo (didn't make the trip), Zakharov didn't play a single minute in that scrimmage. Not sure where the Athletic heard that. Gilder-Wooldridge-Kispert-Petrusev-Watson + Timme and Ayayi for about 20 minutes each off the bench. Those were the 7. Ravet played quit a bit too.
    "while 6-foot-11, 235-pound freshman Pavel Zakharov was a physical load the Spartans couldn’t quite handle."

This was in a quote from the Athletic. It would make sense that Sparty couldn't handle him if he didn't play. (tongue in cheek).

What is your source for saying he didn't play?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Must find a way to remain 100% healthy at the guard spots.

Honestly, our season rests on the shoulders of Admon Gilder.

Not saying he will be our #1 scorer or even best player, yet his presence, experience, defense, shooting, & scoring are incredibly important.

The backups may be talented yet have proven little and have an uphill climb.

Woolridge is a ball handler and in many ways, equally important.

If we want to remain Top 15 team, we must keep these guys healthy and on the court.
    Yeah, great post.

Same can almost be said of Tillie. True, we have far more depth up front, but if the goal is "remaining in the top 10" or so, we need Tillie, at least early in the year.

A lot of pressure on the seniors. Fortunately, so long as they remain healthy, these seem like the type of seniors that can handle it. Gilder came here precisely bc he wants to handle it. Tillie stayed here to handle it.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I can’t imagine Kispert chasing a SG around screens all game. If there is an injury, Arlauskas will probably need to step up and TCOB. It seems reasonable for him to be a “3 and D” guy if thrust into the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I can’t imagine Kispert chasing a SG around screens all game. If there is an injury, Arlauskas will probably need to step up and TCOB. It seems reasonable for him to be a “3 and D” guy if thrust into the rotation.
    Wouldn't Kispert be on the '3', a small forward and not a shooting guard?

I thought that Gilder and Woolridge would defend the guard spots, with Ayayi and Ravet as back ups.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Wouldn't Kispert be on the '3', a small forward and not a shooting guard?

I thought that Gilder and Woolridge would defend the guard spots, with Ayayi and Ravet as back ups.
    I’m thinking of a hypothetical situation where one of the 4 guards you mention can’t go for whatever reason. The next two guys up would be Kispert or Arlauskas, it seems— but only if the roster needs shuffling.

I have been told that while Gilder may not be the second coming of Nigel as a point guard, he is more than capable of running an offense for extended periods. He can play point guard. The source is a diehard A&M fan who has seen him play more than anyone here.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I’m thinking of a hypothetical situation where one of the 4 guards you mention can’t go for whatever reason. The next two guys up would be Kispert or Arlauskas, it seems— but only if the roster needs shuffling.
    I know that Arlauskas has a lot of skill but I also think he really could benefit from a redshirt year with all the time he missed in the last year. I think Zhakarov and Ballo are kind of tied to each other, there won't be time for both most likely. It wouldn't shock me to see Pavel redshirt but it also wouldn't shock me if he didn't as an international kid. Ballo will be all about getting his eligibility cleared.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    I know that Arlauskas has a lot of skill but I also think he really could benefit from a redshirt year with all the time he missed in the last year. I think Zhakarov and Ballo are kind of tied to each other, there won't be time for both most likely. It wouldn't shock me to see Pavel redshirt but it also wouldn't shock me if he didn't as an international kid. Ballo will be all about getting his eligibility cleared.
    Knowing how Few traditionally keeps a rotation of 7 or 8 guys... An argument can be made for Arlauskas, Ballo and Pavel all redshirting. HOWEVER, I don't think Ballo has ANY intention of staying at Gonzaga for 4 years (like Rui) so I don't believe he will redshirt regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Arlauskas and Ballo will most likely be redshirting as of now. Ballo may not be cleared until next year and that was the staffs biggest concern making him a part of 2019 instead of the 2020 class.

It's easy to forget how young Oumar Ballo is. He's 2 years younger than Brock Ravet, and younger than most of the potential freshman arriving a year from now.

I could see him being mad/sad/upset if he redshirts, but it's not as if he'll be chronologically "behind" if he waits a year.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    It's easy to forget how young Oumar Ballo is. He's 2 years younger than Brock Ravet, and younger than most of the potential freshman arriving a year from now.

I could see him being mad/sad/upset if he redshirts, but it's not as if he'll be chronologically "behind" if he waits a year.
    What a monster he will be in a year!
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post

Yep, hes actually 13 months younger than Suggs. If he has to redshirt he'll still be farther ahead with a year at GU practicing than if he stayed in the 2020 class and it doesn't really affect his NBA timeline as he won't be draft eligible for 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyZag View Post
    Knowing how Few traditionally keeps a rotation of 7 or 8 guys... An argument can be made for Arlauskas, Ballo and Pavel all redshirting. HOWEVER, I don't think Ballo has ANY intention of staying at Gonzaga for 4 years (like Rui) so I don't believe he will redshirt regardless.
    That was my thinking as well, meaning I don't think Ballo will RS unless he doesn't get cleared. As for Pavel, I don't think he would RS either as he is unlikely to stay five years at Gonzaga being an international kid although Ayayi did RS but was very young for his class. It will all work out, I'm actually less concerned about redshirts these days than I was in the past, just because of the talent we are getting.

I didnt think Ballo would RS regardless of the tiny amount of playing time he'd be projected to get with our current bigs but when Caldwell speaks, I listen. Now I think, after a year in the program learning, refining, building... he will be a MOSTER of a player for one year for us.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Arlauskas and Ballo will most likely be redshirting as of now. Ballo may not be cleared until next year and that was the staffs biggest concern making him a part of 2019 instead of the 2020 class.
    That’s a big development.

If Ballo has to RS then I hope Arlauskas does too cause having two or more players RS the same year gives them much needed camaraderie and support...especially when talking about 1st year players. Pretty tough psychologically to be the only RS on a team I would think.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    That’s a big development.

If Ballo has to RS then I hope Arlauskas does too cause having two or more players RS the same year gives them much needed camaraderie and support...especially when talking about 1st year players. Pretty tough psychologically to be the only RS on a team I would think.
    Excellent point

I thought Ballo would be the one big stud GU needed THIS year. . .my expectations for March have sustained a gut punch.

So it goes.

But if Ballo isn't expected to stay for four years, what's the point of redshirting?

Quote Originally Posted by GU69 View Post
    But if Ballo isn't expected to stay for four years, what's the point of redshirting?
    If he isn't cleared until next year, he is a redshirt by default.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    I thought Ballo would be the one big stud GU needed THIS year. . .my expectations for March have sustained a gut punch.

So it goes.
    At least it’s not one our guards. I was hoping to see Ballo this year also (and maybe we still will ) but at least we have a ton of quality bigs to look forward to. And let’s hope Tillie is 100% from here on out!
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by GU69 View Post
    Tillie was not expecting to stay for 4 years either, yet here he is.

Nobody can see the future. You play the cards you are dealt.

Keep all of your options open.

ZagDad