Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Zags - Michigan State scrimmage 10/19

Thanks guys. Oh my, how good can they get??? And how many off the bench will be drafted next year.
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

Does anyone know if Ballo played?

Until proven otherwise, backcourt depth seems the be a big issue which could affect a lot of games. Maybe Ravet or Ayayi prove capable down the road...

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Good question. I'd like to know as well. I'm pumped about him.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    He did not make the trip.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Smile Well, it's only a picture of Sparty, but...

...here 'tis. (You have to scroll down a bit.)

https://spartanswire.usatoday.com/20...onzaga-103-87/

The Athletic, though, seems to have an article. Unfortunately, Kiddwell hasn't a subscription.

https://theathletic.com/1307134/2019...ss-to-gonzaga/

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Well, I won't post the whole Athletic article because it's a pay site, but I feel like it's okay to do a couple of paragraphs. It was very MSU focused anyway!
    Gonzaga mostly played a tight seven-man rotation, while Michigan State played various combinations of its available 12-man unit. Per a witness, the Zags’ young frontcourt vastly outplayed Michigan State’s bigs to the tune of 62 points in the paint. The group was impressive. Filip Petrusev, a 6-foot-11, 235-pound Serbian, finished with 19 points. Drew Timme, a 6-foot-10, five-star freshman whom Michigan State heavily recruited, finished with 13. Anton Watson, a 6-foot-8 homegrown talent from Spokane, Wash., was a force on the boards, while 6-foot-11, 235-pound freshman Pavel Zakharov was a physical load the Spartans couldn’t quite handle.
    A Michigan State staffer said: “Honestly, (Gonzaga) is good. They’re tough. Honestly, the frustrating part, it felt like we got out-toughed, and it felt like we got out-competed. That’s the problem.”
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Smile

Terrific tidbits, Radbooks. Thanks for sharing. All three of our new Bigs (Ballo wasn't there) impressed the opposition. Outstanding, considering how impressive the opposition was.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

It seems like Anton must have been playing at the "4" if he got 15 boards in a game where Kispert was the leading scorer. Not much chance the 3 was shared given those stat totals.

I do hope Anton can play some 3 as well.

Also from the Athletic:

"Per a witness, the Zags’ young frontcourt vastly outplayed Michigan State’s bigs to the tune of 62 points in the paint. The group was impressive. Filip Petrusev, a 6-foot-11, 235-pound Serbian, finished with 19 points. Drew Timme, a 6-foot-10, five-star freshman whom Michigan State heavily recruited, finished with 13. Anton Watson, a 6-foot-8 homegrown talent from Spokane, Wash., was a force on the boards, while 6-foot-11, 235-pound freshman Pavel Zakharov was a physical load the Spartans couldn’t quite handle."

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

With all that size and strength, Gonzaga doubled the post, and Michigan State, despite having capable post passers, never did a good enough job of exposing it. Offensively, the Zags picked Michigan State apart on high-low actions and seals. The 103-point outing didn’t come on a barrage of 3-point shots.

Per Jeff Goodman, Ryan Woolridge served as the Zags’ primary point guard and finished with nine points and seven assists. Woolridge is a bit of a mystery for Gonzaga, as much of the season seems to hinge on his potential. The 6-foot-3 guard is a graduate transfer from North Texas with more than 1,000 career points already in his pocket. He averaged 11.7 points, 5.9 rebounds and 4.8 assists a year ago.

A Michigan State staffer said: “Honestly, (Gonzaga) is good. They’re tough. Honestly, the frustrating part, it felt like we got out-toughed, and it felt like we got out-competed. That’s the problem.”

Not bad for a Gonzaga team looking to replace Rui Hachimura, Brandon Clarke, Zach Norvell and Josh Perkins from a 33-win team that reached its third Elite Eight in five years. Like Michigan State, the only thing that could stop last year’s Zags was Texas Tech’s strangling defense in the NCAA Tournament.

always nice to hear about a good showing, but i wouldn't read too much into this...i swear izzo tries to lose these things as it then gives him the chance to bark at his guys and find ways to motivate...just how he works. few trends in the opposite direction and with this roster building some confidence is probably a good thing.

“(Gonzaga) has got tough guards up front, and honestly, they ran harder and were in better shape,” an MSU staffer said. “The truth is, this is exactly what we need.”

How can the Athletic offer so much detail and Meehan is muted? A bit hypocritical and silly, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    How can the Athletic offer so much detail and Meehan is muted? A bit hypocritical and silly, yes?
    the athletic doesn't have to answer to gonzaga...meehan, as the local guy, kinda does...

besides, most of the info leaking out is coming from the msu side, so makes sense...few has always been tight-lipped...don't expect him to change. pretty sure everyone on the zag side including meehan is muzzled.

I'd surmise that Brendan Quinn (aka 'The Athletic') has different sources? I'll guess that Jim Meehan would burn his sources quickly if he were to write the same article.

Quote Originally Posted by KStyles View Post
    I'd surmise that Brendan Quinn has better sources?
    Assume Meehan was actually there. No knock on him. Why all the faux intrigue is my point by all parties ?

So to analogize, the Athletic accurately reported a blizzard in Spokane yesterday but the local paper reported it may have flurried. . End of the day everyone including mark few had to shovel as the snow was real. Silly stuff.

So to analogize, the Athletic accurately reported a blizzard in Spokane yesterday but the local paper reported it may have flurried. . End of the day everyone including mark few had to shovel as the snow was real. Silly stuff.
    to few, the need to inform fans regarding the results of a scrimmage is silly...

part of the reason few has stayed is precisely because he doesn't need to bow down to boosters (aka fans - rich ones).

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    to few, the need to inform fans regarding the results of a scrimmage is silly...

part of the reason few has stayed is precisely because he doesn't need to bow down to boosters (aka fans - rich ones).
    But the results are out there anyway.

FWIW I heard Ayayi scored a dozen points and played about half the game. Not sure where these talks of him not seeing the floor came from.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post

Wouldn’t the more practical approach be a Meehan story from the GU point of view? Acting like it didn’t happen doesn’t befit Few’s well earned reputation as a no nonsense yet successful coach.

Good 2 hear.
    Love the zags for life

Really good to hear that the team did well in Denver !!!
    Corey could have his best year yet. Petrusev too. Watson doing well is pretty cool. It'll be an interesting November - especially if both Tillie and Ballo get to play. Anyone know if Ballo was ill or is it still GU registration issues?
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by billyberu View Post
    Also from the Athletic:

"Per a witness, the Zags’ young frontcourt vastly outplayed Michigan State’s bigs to the tune of 62 points in the paint. The group was impressive. Filip Petrusev, a 6-foot-11, 235-pound Serbian, finished with 19 points. Drew Timme, a 6-foot-10, five-star freshman whom Michigan State heavily recruited, finished with 13. Anton Watson, a 6-foot-8 homegrown talent from Spokane, Wash., was a force on the boards, while 6-foot-11, 235-pound freshman Pavel Zakharov was a physical load the Spartans couldn’t quite handle."

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Just obsessing over these few chunks of meat we’ve had around here re: details about this team and players; I understand it’s just a scrimmage and not wise to draw big picture conclusions...nonetheless, cause it’s fun to ponder :

If accurate, the earlier Athletic tidbit about Zags going w tight 7 man rotation + above details means Woolridge, Gilder and Kispert gobbled up all the perimeter player minutes....virtually all of them it seems anyway. This means the 12 points Ayayi reportedly scored must have come w very limited minutes, which means his points per minute #’s were off the charts, which means we can think of him as a Vinny the Microwave Johnson kind of scoring spark off the bench this season for our Zags.... or am I getting carried away here

Seriously though, thrilled to read Zakharov’s play was strong enough to get mentioned and Anton Watson w 15 rebounds vs notoriously tough Spartans bigs is ridiculous.

I agree w earlier posts that Few’s tight rotation is all about needing to get key new players to gel asap in prep for Zags front loaded schedule. Guys who maybe didn’t get much run in this scrimmage will have plenty of opportunities to prove themselves in real games after December 18th and throughout the WCC schedule. Priority #1 is maximizing the early season resume building opportunities Zags have to earn a top tourney seed.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1