Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zags - Michigan State scrimmage 10/19

Default Zags - Michigan State scrimmage 10/19

According to the Twitter machine, Zags will play Michigan State again this year in a scrimmage, in Denver.

October 19th.

All other details to be classified.

https://twitter.com/UnitedWeZag/stat...00144991854599
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

If it's on the W.tv, I'll be watching.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    It most certainly will not be on TV or online. In person will be the only way to see it if you can find where it is.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    It won't be - the scrimmages ALWAYS kept extremely bottled up. Why don't they just schedule a home & home instead?

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    It won't be - the scrimmages ALWAYS kept extremely bottled up. Why don't they just schedule a home & home instead?
    Because it's not a real game, doesn't count as a game on their schedule, I'm sure it's vastly easier to set up, the teams/coaches can stop play for whatever reason including teaching, and both squads get to work out to preseason issues in a low stress environment.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Because it's not a real game, doesn't count as a game on their schedule, I'm sure it's vastly easier to set up, the teams/coaches can stop play for whatever reason including teaching, and both squads get to work out to preseason issues in a low stress environment.
    It was more of a rhetorical question but yeah I understand why they do it...just wish a game against a marquee name actually counted for something aside player development

October 19th seems awfully early.

They'd only have what? 10 days of practice at that point, at the most?

Well, they'll be going against the best. If they can hang with MSU, it tells us a lot about our young team.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Dixie maybe I'm wrong but I thought NCAA allowed practice beginning in Sept. I thought the NCAA did that a few years ago... Anyone know for sure???

Smile ...wowzers...

Methinks ESPN has Sparty as the preseason No. 1 Team. Exactly who we should be scrimmaging with.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Dixie maybe I'm wrong but I thought NCAA allowed practice beginning in Sept. I thought the NCAA did that a few years ago... Anyone know for sure???
    According to Google:

With the new opening date, practice could officially start the last week of September — the NCAA allowed women's teams to begin 42 days before their first game.

So, figure 6 weeks before beginning of Nov, and yeah, end of September, perhaps this week.

Figure that October 19th is perfect, just at that point when they're sick of playing each other, yet need to learn whether they're any good.

We'll hate it, but if reports come out that we got beat by 25, it might actually do the team some good.

Practices would sure intensify.
    Mark Twain.

Full practice (where EVERYONE can be on the court at the same time) starts next Tuesday the 24th, IIRC.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Full practice (where EVERYONE can be on the court at the same time) starts next Tuesday the 24th, IIRC.
    I’m praying for practice rumors more than ever before!
    Parlez-vous franÁais?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Methinks ESPN has Sparty as the preseason No. 1 Team. Exactly who we should be scrimmaging with.

I think just about everyone has them as #1.

Here is a very well-written and informative article by the tweet's author posted after last year's scrimmage: https://theathletic.com/617357/2018/...ss-to-gonzaga/

Place your bets!

Outcome :::::::::::::::::::::: Odds

Zags win big ------------------- 7-1
    Zags barely win ---------------- 4-1
    Decent reports this year ------- 15-1
    Total media blackout again ---- 6-7
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Crickets. Maybe didn’t go to well?
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Crickets. Maybe didnít go to well?
    Oct 19th

First practice this coming Tuesday.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I just know that I'm looking forward to seeing the guys 2 weeks from yesterday for Kraziness in the Kennel!

Oops, silly me, I thought it was Sept 19th. Thanks Will. It could be interesting.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Yeah, Michigan State is preseason #1 in most rankings I’ve seen w their PG Cassius Winston a Wooden Award favorite. Zags should have plenty of motivation to work their a**** off in preparation for this scrimmage and beyond. Few will get a real good sense of who this team can lean on as PG, biggest question mark this season imo, early...which is great.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

So does coaching staff treat these secret scrimmages as a dress rehearsal for game prep week...scouting report and film on upcoming opponent, practice w bench players running Michigan State’s basic sets so starters can prep for it, defensive game plan to take away their best player (or at least make things difficult for him) etc etc?

Scrimmage is Saturday. I imagine it’s a real nice change up this week from offseason workouts and early season practices to prepping for a specific opponent, traveling out of town etc etc.

I am torn between wanting some inside info on how Zags do vs Spartans and wanting this new team to have this experience without their performance being dissected by outsiders.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    So does coaching staff treat these secret scrimmages as a dress rehearsal for game prep week...scouting report and film on upcoming opponent, practice w bench players running Michigan Stateís basic sets so starters can prep for it, defensive game plan to take away their best player (or at least make things difficult for him) etc etc?

Scrimmage is Saturday. I imagine itís a real nice change up this week from offseason workouts and early season practices to prepping for a specific opponent, traveling out of town etc etc.

I am torn between wanting some inside info on how Zags do vs Spartans and wanting this new team to have this experience without their performance being dissected by outsiders.
    Iím hoping they do well and are humbled at the same time. Worst thing would be to get destroyed. Second worst thing would be to over perform. They need to understand they have a long way to go to get to MSUís level. And they also need to know they can compete if they keep their heads on straight.

It would be nice to hear about how Ravet does against their guards. I’m not really concerned, otherwise.

No matter what happens in these scrimmage/practices, it should do nothing but help the new guys in their development.

Changed thread title in hopes of getting snippets of info posted here.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ