View Poll Results: Which player will be the biggest surprise?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arlauskas

8 7.34%
  • Ballo

23 21.10%
  • Zakharov

7 6.42%
  • Ravet

28 25.69%
  • Other

6 5.50%
  • Ayayi

37 33.94%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which of these will be the biggest surprise?

Default Which of these will be the biggest surprise?

Taking Reno's advice I am making this it's own thread. Have fun taking your best shot!

Of the "unkowns", which is going to take us by surprise and be amazing? Arauskas, Ballo, Zakharov, Ravet? I'm leaving Timme and Watson off this short list because for me at least, they are almost a given. So who's going to shine from the new Fantastic Four unknowns THis Year? (Reborn will pick Ravet..LOL)
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Ballo!

Since Timme! is not an option.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

- great question, agree, drop timmie and Watson, they should contribute right away.

- I'm going with ravet. my reasoning is I think we are a bit thinner at the guard position, and playing time might be available.
    - if ravet is not a liability on defense, I'm excited about his passing, sure he can shoot, but the few times I've seen him in the state tourney, I was blown away at how well he sees the floor and gets the ball to his teammate at the right spot.

Ayayi?

I am really curious about Ravet. I could see him washing out without getting much PT and transfering, and I could see him averaging double digits this year. Definitely hoping its the latter.

Ballo

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Ayayi?
    That would be a surprise.....a pleasant surprise....I am hoping....

I will also go with Ayayi. I think that a year of experience will help him excell. I also believe the others will contribute but it will take part of the season to show us their best. But I also think the same will be true with Watson and Timmie. Yes they will have super games and then ...... I am REALLY looking forward to this year, but am not expecting miracles early

Added a poll in there for Griz
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    I will also go with Ayayi. I think that a year of experience will help him excell. I also believe the others will contribute but it will take part of the season to show us their best. But I also think the same will be true with Watson and Timmie. Yes they will have super games and then ...... I am REALLY looking forward to this year, but am not expecting miracles early
    I agree Ayayi should be added to the poll.

If any of those four average double digit playing time I will be very surprised.

Thanks for adding the poll, LIZF. I voted "other" for I truly believe that Admon Gilder will be the straw that stirs the '19/'20 drink. He's a defensive stud and I'm thinking on this team there's a good chance his offense can be NWG-esque.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Martynas A-R-L-A-U-S-K-A-S or Arauskas. "220 - 221 Whatever it Takes." (Mr. Mom Quote) (Should have taken a screen-shot)
    Last edited by zagnut2012; 09-17-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Thank you LIZF, appreciate that. I have no idea how to set that up. I'm thinking Arlauskas will surprise the most based on clips of him. Gilder and Woolridge weren't part of this. They should be turn key ready and we kind of know what to expect assuming they are healthy now. These four unknowns are so darn intriguing. There's got to be a star in there or two.

the question is how will 'surprise' be evaluated. We should come up with some standard so we can anwwer the question more objectively at the end of the season. Hooter mentions 'double digit' playing time. I say we go with whoever has the highest minutes (maybe adjusted for games missed with injury) .... this will ultimately let Few tell us who is the greatest surprise with overall value to the team ont he court...versuses any other standard (e.g. Pts, Rebounds) etc that would have a more limited scope of evaluation. What say you?

I voted for Ravet as the biggest surprise, almost on a technicality because Ayayi and Ballo have less questions about their tools and are more likely to succeed. I suspect Ayayi will make the biggest impact due to his seniority, development at GU, and clear path to playing time.

I say a surprise is something that is unexpected.....I voted for Ayayi because he might surprise....but if Ravet has a impact on the season I will be more surprised... my logic being that Ayayi has a shot...

Quote Originally Posted by zagnut2012 View Post
    Martynas A-R-L-A-U-S-K-A-S or Arauskas. "220 - 221 Whatever it Takes." (Mr. Mom Quote) (Should have taken a screen-shot)
    - fyi to fans, Gonzaga's web site gives the pronunciation as, mar-teen-us ar-lau-skiss.

I voted for Ayayi. Huge surprise, but I think he's ready to surprise many. Ravet would not be a surprise for me because I've believed all along that he will have an impact on this team that's very positive. I've believed this from the very first time I saw him play.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I voted for Ayayi. Huge surprise, but I think he's ready to surprise many. Ravet would not be a surprise for me because I've believed all along that he will have an impact on this team that's very positive. I've believed this from the very first time I saw him play.

Go Zags!!!
    He did have big time summer for sure. I'm going to believe Ravet is going to be really amazing as I take a former Zag player's overview pretty seriously Borny.

Quote Originally Posted by 3XaZag View Post
    the question is how will 'surprise' be evaluated. We should come up with some standard so we can anwwer the question more objectively at the end of the season. Hooter mentions 'double digit' playing time. I say we go with whoever has the highest minutes (maybe adjusted for games missed with injury) .... this will ultimately let Few tell us who is the greatest surprise with overall value to the team ont he court...versuses any other standard (e.g. Pts, Rebounds) etc that would have a more limited scope of evaluation. What say you?
    Well, knowing this crowd there will be an evaluation after every game for sure We can do the numbers maybe mid-season like you suggest. I was talking about the proverbial "eye test" which is pretty subjective of course.

Out of curiosity, what makes Ravet better than Jesse Wade? Is he game ready now or does he need a redshirt year? Also considering the 2020 class, where would he stand on the depth chart? Im just concerned he could end up transferring out. Hope im wrong

I voted for Ravet because I've seen him play, and I think Reborn is absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagZombie View Post
    Out of curiosity, what makes Ravet better than Jesse Wade?
    Offensive creativity that can't be taught, imo.

ETA, one could ask what made Dickau/Pangos/Raivio better than Jesse Wade? All short white guys as well, right? And why would Ravet has more in common with the latter than the former?
    Last edited by maynard g krebs; 09-17-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Jesse Wade went on a mission too.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!