View Poll Results: Which player will be the biggest surprise?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arlauskas

8 7.34%
  • Ballo

23 21.10%
  • Zakharov

7 6.42%
  • Ravet

28 25.69%
  • Other

6 5.50%
  • Ayayi

37 33.94%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which of these will be the biggest surprise?

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    My guess for the Game 1 starting lineup is Woolridge, Gilder, Kispert, Tillie, Petrusev.
    The bench is so cool though!
    Parlez-vous français?

I voted for Ravet over Ballo or Ayayi because I just don't see either Oumar or Joel as being "surprises." We've seen enough of what Oumar can do to expect him to be an impact player. We've also watched Joel grow and mature so that him coming of age this year shouldn't be a surprise. Ravet, although well known to many in Washington, will be a surprise to most fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    The bench is so cool though!
    The bench is cool. I am very uncertain of what minutes off the bench will look like. I kinda suspect a deeper bench though like in 2012-13.
    Last edited by Grand Valley Zag; 09-21-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaglaw View Post
    I voted for Ravet over Ballo or Ayayi because I just don't see either Oumar or Joel as being "surprises." We've seen enough of what Oumar can do to expect him to be an impact player. We've also watched Joel grow and mature so that him coming of age this year shouldn't be a surprise. Ravet, although well known to many in Washington, will be a surprise to most fans.
    Not sure I follow this...

You could have this expectation about any of our incoming recruits and/or returning players.

If either Ballo or Ayayi impact players this coming year, it's a pleasant surprise.

I agree, we are hopeful for both to have an impact, yet nothing can be assumed with any of the new guys or returning players who've barely played.

Remember, Ayayi has barely had any meaningful playing time, and Ballo just turned 17 & wont be 18 til next July, and is acclimating to college, new country, american bball, & being a student athlete at the highest level.

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Not sure I follow this...

You could have this expectation about any of our incoming recruits and/or returning players.

If either Ballo or Ayayi impact players this coming year, it's a pleasant surprise.

I agree, we are hopeful for both to have an impact, yet nothing can be assumed with any of the new guys or returning players who've barely played.

Remember, Ayayi has barely had any meaningful playing time, and Ballo just turned 17 & wont be 18 til next July, and is acclimating to college, new country, american bball, & being a student athlete at the highest level.
    The OP question is which player will be the BIGGEST surprise. I agree that it would be a pleasant surprise if Ballo and Ayayi are impact players, but IMHO, neither would be the biggest surprise. They both have experience playing against international competition, so I think their learning curve is not as steep as Ravet's coming out of Washington B level. But I think a lot of fans will be surprised at what he can do.

The OP question is which player will be the BIGGEST surprise. I agree that it would be a pleasant surprise if Ballo and Ayayi are impact players, but IMHO, neither would be the biggest surprise. They both have experience playing against international competition, so I think their learning curve is not as steep as Ravet's coming out of Washington B level. But I think a lot of fans will be surprised at what he can do.
    This is what I think as well.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I, too think Petrusev starts (alongside Tillie, Kispert, Gilder and Woolridge).

I’m hoping and dreaming a second unit of: Ravet, Ayayi, Watson, Timme, Ballo (or Zakharov) subs in en masses from day 1. Let these youngsters get counted on early so they can be seasoned by tourney time.

What / How many D1 teams have substituted an entire 2nd lineup in on a regular basis?
    Dang Flex, that second unit has some talent on it. By the time we get to conference play, I think we can expect the yearly speculation of whether or not our bench would win the WCC.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    Dang Flex, that second unit has some talent on it. By the time we get to conference play, I think we can expect the yearly speculation of whether or not our bench would win the WCC.
    That is a nice second unit (plus one).

I bet we'll have nine guys average ten minutes a game this year. I wouldn't be shocked if ten guys did.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    That is a nice second unit (plus one).

I bet we'll have nine guys average ten minutes a game this year. I wouldn't be shocked if ten guys did.
    I'm putting Mark few as my biggest surprise, because he will use more of the bench this year. I mean, it would surprise me if he did, but I'd like to see it.

Remember that freshman center for Michigan State that went toe to toe with Casey Calvary in the 2001 Sweet Sixteen? That freakishly strong for his age, athletic bruising rebounder?

Zach Randolph?

Yeah, that guy.

I think Ballo might be that good by March.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?

I think their learning curve is not as steep as Ravet's coming out of Washington B level.
    One thing that impressed me when I saw Ravet at the MLK event in Kent: In the 1st quarter he threw a couple of length of court passes in transition that were picked off by Kentlake's really athletic 6'4 forwards, leaping high. I had the sense that he was accustomed to throwing those passes over B players with ease. After the first quarter I think he threw 3 more of those passes, all clearing defenders safely as Kittitas went from a close game to doubling up the 4A team. Another thing I thought was significant is that he pulled down 13 rebounds and defended those guys down low. Not that they're anything close to what he'll see in D1, but imo it shows his competitiveness and willingness to do what's necessary (Kittitas had no one else over 6'1, though they're all capable of playing with most of the 3a/4a teams in the state).

Went with Zakharov. The front court is very crowded, but I think he might be the most disciplined defender of the bunch and earn his playing time that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Worthington View Post
    Went with Zakharov. The front court is very crowded, but I think he might be the most disciplined defender of the bunch and earn his playing time that way.
    He's the biggest enigma to me. Playing on that Montverde 'B' team shielded him from a lot the major national spotlight. Everything I've seen in limited video (& a couple FIBA games) tells me he is the type of prospect that normally joins a GU rotation right away. He looks strong & polished on both ends. I have a hard time seeing him as a 5 year player so I suspect we'll get glimpses at the very least, even if it's just garbage time. That said competition for real minutes is going to be stiff so I'm not sure he'll be a true rotational guy.

I wish we could have seen him at the U-19 to better measure him up with the other guys. I can't imagine he wasn't talented enough to make Russia so I wonder if it was perhaps political? I know in the past Russia at times hasn't brought kids who should make their team to play in the WJC of hockey if they play overseas in the CHL. I don't know, wholly speculation on my part but I feel like we'd have a better idea of where he's at if he had played.

Very excited to see where's at though.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Ballo.

He reminds me of Shawn Kemp. Man child.
    Everyone calls him baby Shaq. But I keep saying he looks like Kemp too. I think we will see big big things from Ballo this year.

I voted "other." Paul Pennington will be so unstoppable in practice scrimmages that Few will have to give him minutes and he'll become a spark plug off the bench to ignite the offense. I admit, it's pretty improbable, but that's what would make it such a huge surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    I voted "other." Paul Pennington will be so unstoppable in practice scrimmages that Few will have to give him minutes and he'll become a spark plug off the bench to ignite the offense. I admit, it's pretty improbable, but that's what would make it such a huge surprise!
    More like impossible since Paul is no longer on the roster. The only walk-on from last year is Matthew Lang.
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

If both Ravet and Ayayi blow up, ohh man. Three deep at every position with starting talent.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Default Do Over

Mr. Ballo was my nominee for "biggest surprise" when this thread hit the board last month. My hunch was he was going to be better than the hype. Oh well.

My new nominee is Petrusev. I think his freshman - to - sophomore leap will be the talk of the board by the end of December.

#gozags !