View Poll Results: Which player will be the biggest surprise?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arlauskas

8 7.34%
  • Ballo

23 21.10%
  • Zakharov

7 6.42%
  • Ravet

28 25.69%
  • Other

6 5.50%
  • Ayayi

37 33.94%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which of these will be the biggest surprise?

For me, Ayayi not breaking through this year would be a surprise. And I'm really hoping that he does break through. So I'm going to go with Arlauskas. He seems to have the best frame to sub in at the 3 (assuming that Watson doesn't eat up those minutes) and possibly the 2 if he proves to have the skill set. I haven't really seen any of his highlights, but I just have a hunch that he's going to understand that he can earn minutes on the defensive end and really focus on that. Then again, I thought I had the winning ticket for the $billion lottery.

I think Ballo is going to be shockingly good.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I voted for Ayayi. Huge surprise, but I think he's ready to surprise many. Ravet would not be a surprise for me because I've believed all along that he will have an impact on this team that's very positive. I've believed this from the very first time I saw him play.

Go Zags!!!
    I voted Ravet ..... maybe not a surprise for me either but I think he'll surprise most Zag fans (at least I hope that's the case). I like the poll's question when it asks "biggest surprise". I think a few Zags will be surprising - good kind too. I feel this will not only be a very surprising season but also quite exciting. Go Zags!
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

I voted for Brock; he seemed very focused as a HS senior and can only get better.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I voted for Brock; he seemed very focused as a HS senior and can only get better.
    Brock Ravet has a pretty spectacular small kid from small town w big hoop dreams story. What if Zags win their first championship w a PG from Kittitas, WA? Now that would be a hell of an exclamation point end to Zags’ Cinderella program story.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Ballo said early on that he has no intention of spending a lot of time on the bench and I believe him

I am going with Joel. I am hoping and expecting to see an enormous leap in his court vision, aggression and performance.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

SSF has begun its annual pre-season "Player Preview" look at the Zags roster. Today, it's Ryan Woolridge:

https://www.slipperstillfits.com/201...afjHYmKk321448

In his three seasons at North Texas, Woolridge played in 89 games, starting 76 while averaging 33.4 minutes per contest. He’s averaged 9.3 shot attempts per game, 1.6 of those being 3s with 11.6 points per game. His shooting percentages have been 49% overall and 33% from deep. Last season he shot a career best .581 from the free throw line.

No surprises for Zags fans from Mr. Woolridge ?

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    SSF has begun its annual pre-season "Player Preview" look at the Zags roster. Today, it's Ryan Woolridge:

Senior transfers are expected to come in and play right away. It would only be a surprise if Mr. Woolridge rides the bench. I don't think that's the kind of surprise this thread is about.

That free throw percentage is a reason to go "Yikes"!!!

Roger Powell Jr., while not a player, may be the biggest surprise in terms of upgrading/improving our domestic recruiting. Time will tell, but on the Whelping Box I know he is credited with getting us involved on a Top 10 recruit already!

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post

I think we are used to high expectations from transfer seniors, so it would be a surprise if he didn't shine.

Same reason that I didn't vote for Ballo, he just comes in with so much physical strength and game changing ability, I won't be surprised if he's second big off the bench.

I went with Ayayi bc it is a rare player that goes from wash-up minutes to contributing star. It wouldn't be a massive surprise, but it would still be surprising to me.

Ayayi is also finally as old as many of the players he will now be playing against, which should factor into his favor.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    Senior transfers are expected to come in and play right away. It would only be a surprise if Mr. Woolridge rides the bench. I don't think that's the kind of surprise this thread is about.
    I don't think it's necessary to legislate what constitutes a "surprise" for boardmembers vis a vis the '19/'20 Zags, and towards that end I was pleased there was an "other" option on the poll.

I went with Admon as it's my belief he has a decent chance to be NWG-esque .... and just because a kid comes in as a Grad Transfer isn't a guarantee that he'll be a leader and end up on multiple AA squads. At least that's my opinion.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Ballo.

He reminds me of Shawn Kemp. Man child.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I am going with Joel. I am hoping and expecting to see an enormous leap in his court vision, aggression and performance.
    Agree w you kitzbuel. Just looking at Ayayi’s team photo, he appears much more physically mature and older. He was a young 17 when he arrived to Spokane. I hope and believe he is ready to be a big impact player this season for Zags. 15-20 mpg of great D, offensive execution and scoring. Is that too much to hope for?

Ayayi could be next great shining example of Zag’s player development track record... this model for young overseas talent.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I don't think it's necessary to legislate what constitutes a "surprise" for boardmembers vis a vis the '19/'20 Zags, and towards that end I was pleased there was an "other" option on the poll.

I went with Admon as it's my belief he has a decent chance to be NWG-esque .... and just because a kid comes in as a Grad Transfer isn't a guarantee that he'll be a leader and end up on multiple AA squads. At least that's my opinion.
    Wow! Some good thoughts there "old man." Older but wiser. hahaha I never thought of Admon as being an AA. So that would be a surprise. Never thought about him being in the same conversation as NWG. But maybe you are right and I really hope you are. We could certainly use a player like NWG. Honestly, that's exactly what this team needs. Gilder will be one of the seniors on the team and hopefully he becomes a leader. AND has the impact that Nigel had.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Maybe other should be the best answer as GoZags says. Maybe the list should have included ALL of the new players. If that were the case I would vote for Timme or Watson. Or maybe my man, Ravet. I woke up this morning thinking about Timme and Watson. I was seeing them really having a big impact on this 2019-'20 team. My thinking was all around the idea of how times have changed in college sports (and even high school too) especially regarding the impact that freshmen can have on a team. There haven't been many freshmen at Gonzaga who have done that, but certainly there have been some. Because this freshman class is so talented I believe that a freshman or two, or even three, really can have an impact on the team. I don't think I've ever been so excited to see the new Zag team play. There are so many unanswered questions, and that alone makes it interesting doesn't it.

As I just said, this class is very talented. The question that resides inside my "ever active mind" is 'Can these young guns perform their skills at the next level, the D1 level? I can hardly wait to find out.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I have to confess to holding a strong bias. The three players that I most want to see succeed this year can all get away with French trash talk. I voted for Ayayi because I’ve seen his potential over two summers and simply like the kid. Ballo has much to learn but his physical presence alone will have an impact. Although his English is impressive, having two experienced French speaking teammates can only accelerate his development.

My eyes will be riveted on Watson and Timme too. This entire team could be very entertaining from the start.

Am I the only one who thinks Petrusev will be a starter?

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I think there is no way Petrusev doesn't start, he had arguably one of the best summers to go along with one year under Few's offense. This could be another interesting poll thread on who the starting five would be. I know there has been some other minor discussion in other threads on this very topic.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    I think there is no way Petrusev doesn't start, he had arguably one of the best summers to go along with one year under Few's offense. This could be another interesting poll thread on who the starting five would be. I know there has been some other minor discussion in other threads on this very topic.
    I, too think Petrusev starts (alongside Tillie, Kispert, Gilder and Woolridge).

I’m hoping and dreaming a second unit of: Ravet, Ayayi, Watson, Timme, Ballo (or Zakharov) subs in en masses from day 1. Let these youngsters get counted on early so they can be seasoned by tourney time.

What / How many D1 teams have substituted an entire 2nd lineup in on a regular basis?

I think the most common is teams that play full court press defense. Seems like those teams always run 11-12 players deep.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I, too think Petrusev starts (alongside Tillie, Kispert, Gilder and Woolridge).

I’m hoping and dreaming a second unit of: Ravet, Ayayi, Watson, Timme, Ballo (or Zakharov) subs in en masses from day 1. Let these youngsters get counted on early so they can be seasoned by tourney time.

What / How many D1 teams have substituted an entire 2nd lineup in on a regular basis?
    Larranaga did it at George Mason. Had a second squad nicknames the Green Team that he subbed en masse.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    My guess for the Game 1 starting lineup is Woolridge, Gilder, Kispert, Tillie, Petrusev.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
    My guess for the Game 1 starting lineup is Woolridge, Gilder, Kispert, Tillie, Petrusev.
    Unless there is an injury I cant see any other lineup day 1.