Thread: OT - Travel ?

Default OT - Travel ?

(mods pleases move at your discretion)

Taking a road trip from up North to east central Cali. in a few weeks. Have heard that Oregon now allows folks to pump their own gas.

Anyone know if that is doable in some small Oregon towns in the wee hours? Thanks.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Only if they are closed....

Or at stand alone gas stations in Counties with fewer than 40 thousand residents not including sheep or cattle...

That's the problem bart.

Years ago was coming home & rolled into John Day about 10:30 P.M. Station closed, no problem methinks. Except there was no place to insert a credit card into the pump.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Don’t miss Healdsburg, Armstrong Woods, or the amazing Priest Station Cafe at entrance to Yosemite. Unreal.

http://prieststation.com/

Oh, btw, there are NO filling stations in Yosemite.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    That's the problem bart.

Years ago was coming home & rolled into John Day about 10:30 P.M. Station closed, no problem methinks. Except there was no place to insert a credit card into the pump.
    You know John Day was a member of the Astoria overland party and that he got lost for years in that maze ….was eventually found ….was insane..... and committed suicide ….all because he didn't have a key to the gas pumps....

Smart to be thinking ahead. I wonder how many of us share an experience of driving through Eastern Oregon late at night and watching our gas gauge's crash toward "E" while searching for that elusive open station. Never knew Eastern Oregon was so rural.

My story was driving my daughter up from L.A. to Spokane for her Spring semester. On 97 late at night I veered onto 197 after 10 p.m. hoping that Maupin was large enough to have an open station. NO luck. Nearing 11 pm, no choice but to carry on North, thinking every minute about any one of a hundred remote road horror stories. No moon and very dark night-- not a street light of firefly in sight. Thanked God I got to the Balch Hotel in Dufur for the night after my gauge was well passed empty. The next morning still couldn't find a station-- drove to The Dales turning off my engine anytime the grade dropped even 1% --still can't believe I made it. Pretty stupid, but I am an L.A. boy, what did you expect?

Drove through eastern OR and SW Oregon about a month ago. . .all of my gas station encounters were in daylight and all included attendants who handled the pump & hose. Headed back to Glide, OR, this Sunday. . .

Don't forget Grant's Pass, OR has an In-N-Out Burger! I'd trade self-serving gas for some Animal Style off their secret menu! (Of course, California has a ton of them).

Safe travels.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    (mods pleases move at your discretion)

Taking a road trip from up North to east central Cali. in a few weeks. Have heard that Oregon now allows folks to pump their own gas.

Anyone know if that is doable in some small Oregon towns in the wee hours? Thanks.
    Yes. 6pm to 6am depending on the service station hours and depending on the area. (Eastern Oregon you're good)