Thread: Zags to Face Elite Talent this Season

Default Zags to Face Elite Talent this Season

- Athlon Sports yearly College Basketball Preview, provides an opinion on the top 100 players in the country.
    - And Gonzaga is going to see some top notch elite talent the year, in the likes of.........
    #3 Myles Powell, Seton Hall (or #29 Payton Pritchard, Oregon)
    #6 Cole Anthony, North Carolina
    #9 Isaiah Stewart, Washington............these 3 are preseason touted All Americans.

#19 Jordan Ford, St. Mary
    #20 Yoeli Childs, Byu
    #21 NIco Mannion, Arizona...............and for good measure

#54 Jaden McDaniels, Washington
    #77 Josh Green, Arizona

- Makes me think defense is going to be critical for the zags in the o.o.c. schedule, which we all know is very important to the team's year end resume and seeding.
    - We are told Gilder and Woolridge are above average defenders, having drawn the assignment to cover the best guard on the opposing team, but I doubt they were facing guards like, Powell, Pritchard, Anthony, and Mannion.

- I wonder what strategy coach Few will draw up. Seems sometimes he will acknowledge a standout player and let him get his 25 or 30 while trying to clamp down on the rest of the team. But these guard are more then just scorers, they pass, assist and make their teammates better. Maybe Ayayi with his quickness and long arms can be disruptive to some good effect?

- any thoughts of defensive strategy? Who or what is our best option in trying keep Stewart, McDaniels and Green in check?

(fyi, this one snapshot opinion has Tillie at #23, Petrusev #91 and Kispert #96)

More minutes for Joel Ayayi, it’s his turn to shine.

realistically I think guards and bigs will be able to keep up, the issue will be if Arlauskas were to redshirt then opposing wings will be able to play through. Joel doesnt have the muscle if they take him low and Kispert isnt fast enough to keep up with an elite wing. Glider and Woolridge have the experience, maybe Watson if he comes out swinging but thats a lot to ask of a freshman (semi)big.

I would love to see one of our incoming experienced guards just shut down a young guy like Mannion.

First thing that comes to mind is let the depth help by taking fouls we would normally try and avoid down low and have the guards funnel their guys accordingly. But, hey, it's been a crazy morning and that's just my first thought hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    We are told Gilder and Woolridge are above average defenders, having drawn the assignment to cover the best guard on the opposing team, but I doubt they were facing guards like, Powell, Pritchard, Anthony, and Mannion.
    i wouldn't worry about this with gilder. SEC starter and led team in minutes... just his jr year he faced: lonzo ball (ucla), justin robinson (vt), lonzo trier (az), de'aaron fox / malik monk / isaiah briscoe (uk), sindarius thornwell / duane notice (sc), jevon carter (wv), chris chiozza / kevaugh allen (fl), and bryce brown (aub)-- just to name a few.

he's been there, done that-- and i'm pretty sure that's where few will lean first.

hoping woolridge/ayayi step up tho.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    i wouldn't worry about this with gilder. SEC starter and led team in minutes... just his jr year he faced: lonzo ball (ucla), justin robinson (vt), lonzo trier (az), de'aaron fox / malik monk / isaiah briscoe (uk), sindarius thornwell / duane notice (sc), jevon carter (wv), chris chiozza / kevaugh allen (fl), and bryce brown (aub)-- just to name a few.

he's been there, done that-- and i'm pretty sure that's where few will lean first.

hoping woolridge/ayayi step up tho.
    - wow, thanks soccerdud.
    - I had no idea, that is an impressive list of guards gilder has played against.
    - zag nation continues to hope admon is healthy and after a year off.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - wow, thanks soccerdud.
    - I had no idea, that is an impressive list of guards gilder has played against.
    - zag nation continues to hope admon is healthy and after a year off.
    np, and yeah. like with nwg, jw3, and bc before-- i feel like the general consciousness of zag fans is underrating gilder due to a lack of familiarity. imo, he and tillie will be the foundational pieces next year, with corey being the underappreciated 3rd option (that's not a shot at corey, i think tillie and gilder will be consensus top-40 ncaa players next season).

additional perspective on gilder (stats comparison done on kenpom.com-- unfortunately couldn't just copy/paste tables into this message)
    -- jr year advanced stats (a&m, mostly playing sg) compare pretty well with nwg's stats at gu across the board-- except his usage and assists were meaningfully lower due to role. things like shooting, rebounding, overall efficiency, etc are all pretty close. gilder was a little better from 3, and a little worse at drawing fouls and defensive rebounding. gilder gets more blocks, nwg more steals.
    -- soph year advanced stats (a&m, mostly pg) are better than nwg's stats as a soph at uw except assists and turnovers (which matter, but again so does role/usage/scheme).

i don't know how much he'll be asked to handle pg duties this season -- if he has any non-health red flags, it's turnovers -- but (to my eyes) he profiles as a game changing alpha dog and backcourt leader for a young team that will desperately need both.