• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Malastein
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Will the Zags ever have a player better than John Stockton

Now that Gonzaga is literally competing for obvious future professionals on the regular, will they produce someone who ends up with a better professional career than John Stockton?
    The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.
  • tummydoc
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2013

Nope

Comment

• tyra
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Never.Ever.Ever.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Not close. One off. Unicorn.

Comment

• LTownZag
          Banned
          • Mar 2017

I think relevant question here is:

How good was Stockton's NBA career?

then

What are the odds someone else comes through Gonzaga and ends higher on those all-time lists?

Stockton seems to end up #20-#30 overall on the list of best NBA careers. He is listed in the top 3 overall point guards on the lists I googled.

So what's the chance that a GU player goes pro and ends up in the NBA's top 20 of all time?

I'd put the odds in the low single digits.

Comment

• bartruff1
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2010

In addition to being skilled....he would have to be healthy...and be in the right place at the right time....the perfect storm … not likely but never say never...
            Last edited by bartruff1; 09-16-2019, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• strikenowhere
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2009

This is an interesting question. Are you talking about career stats & accolades or are you talking about talent? Also are you factoring the different eras that Stockton and the future Zag play in? Do people think John Stockton would be just as effective in today's game as he was 25+ years ago?

Comment

• FlyZag
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
                This is an interesting question. Are you talking about career stats & accolades or are you talking about talent? Also are you factoring the different eras that Stockton and the future Zag play in? Do people think John Stockton would be just as effective in today's game as he was 25+ years ago?
                Yes! He would be every bit as good in today's game.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Nearly 400 schools play D1, plus 100s more at other levels and then there are tons of international sources. Stockton is a top 50 nba player, arguably top 25. Do the math. True there are some schools with multiple top 50 players, but for GU? Don’t think so.

Comment

• LTownZag
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
                    I'm no NBA guru, but it seems like the game has became less big man dominant, with a greater emphasis on ball movement and passing, P&R, pick-and-pop, and obviously 3pt shooting. I wonder if the average possesion (or possessions before a basket) has more or fewer passes than in the 90s.

Stockton shot over 40% from 3pt land in 7 separate seasons. That actually compares very similarly to all-time great (higher volume) 3pt shooters like Reggie Miller or Ray Allen. Stockton's 5 best years he was between 42% and 46%. James harden has never shot above 39% and only above 36% once.

I couldn't find Stockton's Gonzaga years 3pt stats, but his first 3 years in the NBA he was a terrible 3pt shooter, which suggests maybe he seldom took or practiced them at GU. I think if he played now, learned the 3pt shot from younger years, and practiced it during college, he might have arguably fit even better into the NBA of the 2010s than the 1990s.
                    Last edited by LTownZag; 09-16-2019, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Grand Valley Zag
                      Kennel Club
                      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                      Nearly 400 schools play D1, plus 100s more at other levels and then there are tons of international sources. Stockton is a top 50 nba player, arguably top 25. Do the math. True there are some schools with multiple top 50 players, but for GU? Don’t think so.
                      Ooh. That's fun to think about. What are some schools with more than one top-50 all timer? Off the top, Georgetown and Wake Forest both do.

Comment

• FlyZag
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Nov 2007

Stockton was a better defender. Remember he is the ALL TIME NBA steals leader... leading 2nd place by almost 600 steals. And obviously he is the ALL TIME NBA assist leader... I don't see either of those records broken in my lifetime.

Comment

• ZagzKrak
                          Professional Zag Fan
                          • Apr 2016

That's a very high bar....all I can say is that I hope we do. But really that's like asking if UNC will ever put out a better player then MJ...not likely.

Comment

• LTownZag
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post
                            Ooh. That's fun to think about. What are some schools with more than one top-50 all timer? Off the top, Georgetown and Wake Forest both do.
                            UNC based on Michael Jordan and Vince Carter alone.

UCLA with Kareem, Walton, Reggie and Westbrook

Kansas with Wilt, Paul Pierce, Joel Embiid

Arizona has a lot of very good but not all time top-50 types (Kerr, Stoudamire, Iguadola, Jason Terry, Mike Bibby, Richard Jefferson)

Comment

• stevet75
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LTownZag View Post
                              I'm no NBA guru, but it seems like the game has became less big man dominant, with a greater emphasis on ball movement and passing, P&R, pick-and-pop, and obviously 3pt shooting. I wonder if the average possesion (or possessions before a basket) has more or fewer passes than in the 90s.

Stockton shot over 40% from 3pt land in 7 separate seasons. That actually compares very similarly to all-time great (higher volume) 3pt shooters like Reggie Miller or Ray Allen. Stockton's 5 best years he was between 42% and 46%. James harden has never shot above 39% and only above 36% once.

I couldn't find Stockton's Gonzaga years 3pt stats, but his first 3 years in the NBA he was a terrible 3pt shooter, which suggests maybe he seldom took or practiced them at GU. I think if he played now, learned the 3pt shot from younger years, and practiced it during college, he might have arguably fit even better into the NBA of the 2010s than the 1990s.
                              There wasn't a three point shot, in college, during Stockton's time at Gonzaga.
                              “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

Comment

Working...
                              X