Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will the Zags ever have a player better than John Stockton

In MY opinion, it is not such a simple question,

Will the Zags have a player with more talent than John Stockton? Yes, of course. They already have had several. (MY OPINION)
    Will the Zags have a player with a better NBA career? Not very likely.
    Will the NBA ever have a player that can match Stockton's career, including his longevity? Not likely.
    With free agency having a point guard and a power forward together like Stockton and Malone, for that length of time, is a thing of the past, especially on a team that seldom got to, or progressed very far, in the playoffs.

There is too much money being paid to players early in their careers. There are too many good to great players coming out of college to allow a 15+ year career. The players are bigger and faster, but also have more injuries. What would be the purpose of someone with millions in the bank to come back time and again after injury? Sure, there will be a few. Durant will come back, but if he blows his Achilles again, destroys his knee etc, would he continue? Maybe, but at some point the answer is no. Most people want to be able to walk when they turn 40.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I seriously doubt it. His longevity and numbers speak for themselves plus the whole NBA has changed. I hope his records are never broken personally.

Chris Paul ahead of Stockton? That's laughable.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Perhaps more a flaw in the stat than anything, but Paul has been an absolute win share god since being in the league, and when filtered through a win shares per 48 he is one of the handful of greatest ever. Pre Rockets career he was usually 2nd behind only MJ. Itís hard to find things that measure the game for efficiency that donít love him.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...48_career.html

That being said itís a regular season stat. His style seems to take a more significant drop off than other star players in the playoffs when guys are working a lot harder on D

Oh, I agree that on efficiency he's fantastic. The problem is the longevity to match the efficiency.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    In MY opinion, it is not such a simple question,

Will the Zags have a player with more talent than John Stockton? Yes, of course. They already have had several. (MY OPINION)
    Will the Zags have a player with a better NBA career? Not very likely.
    Will the NBA ever have a player that can match Stockton's career, including his longevity? Not likely.
    With free agency having a point guard and a power forward together like Stockton and Malone, for that length of time, is a thing of the past, especially on a team that seldom got to, or progressed very far, in the playoffs.

There is too much money being paid to players early in their careers. There are too many good to great players coming out of college to allow a 15+ year career. The players are bigger and faster, but also have more injuries. What would be the purpose of someone with millions in the bank to come back time and again after injury? Sure, there will be a few. Durant will come back, but if he blows his Achilles again, destroys his knee etc, would he continue? Maybe, but at some point the answer is no. Most people want to be able to walk when they turn 40.
    I was wondering about how Stockton did with the playoffs. During his career, the Jazz never missed the playoffs. Went to the conference finals five times, the Finals twice.
    Agent provocateur

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvazag View Post
    I was wondering about how Stockton did with the playoffs. During his career, the Jazz never missed the playoffs. Went to the conference finals five times, the Finals twice.
    Sorry. I was doing that from memory. They never won though.

Sorry. I was doing that from memory. They never won though.
    No. The Bulls were a juggernaut during the Jazz's best years. I probably wouldn't have said anything except I was so impressed that the Jazz had a 20-year streak of making the playoffs that started with their first ever playoff berth the year before drafting Stockton. Just out of curiosity, which Zags do you think had more talent than JS?
    Agent provocateur

Quote Originally Posted by sonuvazag View Post
    No. The Bulls were a juggernaut during the Jazz's best years. I probably wouldn't have said anything except I was so impressed that the Jazz had a 20-year streak of making the playoffs that started with their first ever playoff berth the year before drafting Stockton. Just out of curiosity, which Zags do you think had more talent than JS?
    In school, Morrison would be hard to beat. In the NBA. Sabonis, last year, and his (almost) double double is an awfully impressive single year.

I don't think any player today will have the longevity to threaten his NBA records.

In school, Morrison would be hard to beat. In the NBA. Sabonis, last year, and his (almost) double double is an awfully impressive single year.

I don't think any player today will have the longevity to threaten his NBA records.
    Thanks for the response although I will respectfully disagree.

Regarding college, there's no question Morrison was a sensation and I deeply regret that he never really showcased his talent at the NBA level. He was one of the great all-time scorers at the collegiate level, no question. As far as talent is concerned, his scoring ability as a singular skill does put him way up there for sure. I would put him second behind Stockton.

But it seems you discount passing and playmaking, in which Stockton's talent was fully realized at the highest level. Stockton was an electric playmaker who pushed the envelope with preternatural court vision, pinpoint passing and highly efficient shooting.

Did Stockton just suddenly became great after being ho-hum at Gonzaga? I think that's the misconception. That Stockton was unexceptional until he made it to the NBA. Certainly he was underrated even by NBA talent evaluators -- he was drafted 16th overall in 1984 which proved too low for the value he would ultimately deliver. We can only wonder what it would be like to have Stockton play for the enormous Gonzaga fan base that has come to exist after the Cinderella run. He averaged 21 points, seven assists and four steals and shot 58 percent from the field in his senior year and there was no 3-point line. No Gonzaga guard has put up those kind of numbers for a season certainly in the past 20 years and maybe ever. There would be an unbelievable amount of hype surrounding JS if he played today for Gonzaga.

While his NBA career stats are beyond impressive, it wasn't just the accumulation of many mediocre seasons. He had many impressive single years as well. So Sabonis nearly averaged a double double? That's great and I'm hoping he continues to develop, but Stockton averaged a double double, not only for 10 of his 19 seasons but the entirety his 19-year career. He also not only has the season record for assists but holds five of the six highest season assists totals ever. The quality of his seasons can also be demonstrated in that he was an all-NBA selection twice, all-NBA 2nd team six times (mainly behind Magic).

Do I think Gonzaga has produced another talent like that? Not yet. Could they? I agree with many that the odds are greater than zero, but not by much.
    Agent provocateur