Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Adam Morrison on Doug Gottlieb Podcast

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,252

    Default Adam Morrison on Doug Gottlieb Podcast


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pilot Point, Texas
    Posts
    859

    Default

    I really enjoyed that interview. Thanks.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Starts about 5 minute mark.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    947

    Default

    This is a great listen!!! Thank you!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,252

    Default

    I highly recommend people take the time to listen to the interview. Gottlieb can be obnoxious at times especially with his forced use of profanity (I don't care about profane language but it's like he tries to throw in F-bombs to sound cool), but Adam is tremendous throughout. He is so refreshingly candid and is such a thoughtful, insightful guy. I really appreciated hearing his perspective on both his time at Gonzaga as well as his life now.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,050

    Default

    Gottlieb is a jerk. He’s a rare breed, a jock sniffer who was a better than average jock. Not a show goes by without him citing his playing days, his dad the coach, Eddie Sutton, or Ok State. He does own up to his banishment by ND, give him that. But he wields it like an accomplishment. He’s got some issues.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Gottlieb is a jerk. He’s a rare breed, a jock sniffer who was a better than average jock. Not a show goes by without him citing his playing days, his dad the coach, Eddie Sutton, or Ok State. He does own up to his banishment by ND, give him that. But he wields it like an accomplishment. He’s got some issues.
    Didn't he also crap all over Andrew Luck for retiring?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chattaroy
    Posts
    3,338

    Default

    I totally agree with Adam on 0-2 when it comes to either going straight to the NBA out of high school or a minimum of 2 years in college before the NBA. Going to college whirlwind for 1 year just does not seem to me to be enough time to have much of a benefit for the athlete or the school. I'm a retired educator with plenty of class time in most of the area's colleges though so ..... biased.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Didn't he also crap all over Andrew Luck for retiring?
    As far too many other people are in the media. It's disturbing. The guy's career has been nothing but injuries and he just had a baby. The decision to retire from work is often a spur of the moment decision for human beings. Just because he is a football player who makes a lot of money, it doesn't make him any different as a human being. It's just a job. These injuries he's had are not just sprained ankles and dislocated fingers. OT........sorry.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    spokane
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Any colts fan would disagree....Great podcast though. Gottlieb has forgotten more about basketball than jazz will ever know.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gin N GUice View Post
    Any colts fan would disagree....Great podcast though. Gottlieb has forgotten more about basketball than jazz will ever know.
    Doug?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,345

    Default

    Great stuff. Thanks for posting the link. Adam seems so much more comfortable in his own skin and I’m glad he’s liking basketball again. He’s also very insightful and wasn’t afraid to call it how he saw it throughout the interview.

    The story about Adam getting his reared chewed by Few, and also the staff chewing on the whole team after the loss to Stanford... the staff has more of an edge than people give them credit for.

    Adam and the Lakers were on Jimmy Kimmel after one of their championships and Kobe defended Adam when Kimmel started cracking jokes about him riding the bench... that made me tolerate Kobe at that time (when I otherwise didn’t like him as a person or player). It was interesting to hear some more stuff about Kobe’s good side in this interview.

    Larry Brown, however... I haven’t liked him since he gave up on Adam in Charlotte and he has been very easy for me to dislike for other reasons since that time. This interview didn’t make it any easier to like him.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Spokane / Goodyear, AZ
    Posts
    1,812

    Default

    Hearing Adam say that much of his NBA experience was not enjoyable reminded me of a guy I got to know in Palm Desert. I was on a treadmill at our workout facility and noticed this guy putting up some serious iron on the weight bench. I'm guessing about 300 plus pounds for a lot of reps. His jaw was huge and the guy was no spring chicken at 74. The guy next to me says "you know who that is don't you?" "That's Hal Bedsole", whom I had not heard of. He was a USC college Hall of Famer who's pro career path mirrored Adam's in many ways. After finally meeting him we talked about his experience and I was shocked when he said he doesn't watch football at all. He told me his pro experience was terrible, that it was so competitive for starting roles that there was no room for friendships or any kind of bonding, it was dog eat dog only with the Minnesota Vikings. Then an injury and done in two years. He said he absolutely hated the whole thing and was still bitter about it. Wow! I just did a Wiki on him and am sad to see he passed away in 2017, he was a very nice fellow from what I could see. I believe Adam with the right circumstances would be still playing, a starter and could have had a long and great NBA career. The chips didn't fall right for him, but he left us so many great moments at Gonzaga to remember.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,345

    Default

    I thought Ammo did a good job of telling it how it is without it coming across as sour grapes. I was captivated by the interview and was yearning for more stories and perspective, when before he seemed like a such an awkward guy who was great at basketball. He probably should write a book with all of his behind the scenes college and NBA stories, as well as his new outlook on life that came from his experiences. His tale is a cautionary one, as well as one of triumph over adversity in a way we don't typically see in movies but in a way that is consistent with real life: he found meaning in the little things in life, like parenting and coaching. In the end, it seems like the game of basketball itself, and not all of the fame, prestige and lifestyle that come with it, is what is making him happy. I thought it was great that when his old coach asked him to come around and coach a bit himself-- giving back to the game a little-- is what snapped him out of his funk after his retirement.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Hearing Adam say that much of his NBA experience was not enjoyable reminded me of a guy I got to know in Palm Desert. I was on a treadmill at our workout facility and noticed this guy putting up some serious iron on the weight bench. I'm guessing about 300 plus pounds for a lot of reps. His jaw was huge and the guy was no spring chicken at 74. The guy next to me says "you know who that is don't you?" "That's Hal Bedsole", whom I had not heard of. He was a USC college Hall of Famer who's pro career path mirrored Adam's in many ways. After finally meeting him we talked about his experience and I was shocked when he said he doesn't watch football at all. He told me his pro experience was terrible, that it was so competitive for starting roles that there was no room for friendships or any kind of bonding, it was dog eat dog only with the Minnesota Vikings. Then an injury and done in two years. He said he absolutely hated the whole thing and was still bitter about it. Wow! I just did a Wiki on him and am sad to see he passed away in 2017, he was a very nice fellow from what I could see. I believe Adam with the right circumstances would be still playing, a starter and could have had a long and great NBA career. The chips didn't fall right for him, but he left us so many great moments at Gonzaga to remember.
    That must have been pretty cool experience.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,127

    Default

    I could never understand the negative reaction to Adam's tears after the UCLA game ??? Remined me of the iconic picture of Y.A. Tittle. If I was him I would blow it up and hang it in the most prominent spot in his home.

    I certainly share the view that the UW Win against that team was a program win and Mallon was just heroic …..

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I could never understand the negative reaction to Adam's tears after the UCLA game ??? Remined me of the iconic picture of Y.A. Tittle. If I was him I would blow it up and hang it in the most prominent spot in his home.

    I certainly share the view that the UW Win against that team was a program win and Mallon was just heroic …..
    Toxic masculinity.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CDA - The distillery of pure Zaga!
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Thanks ZagFan for the link. Most of us never get the chance to know about any of the players much less see a game in person. It was a fantastic interview IMO. Adam's candor and personal experiences where amazing to hear. Loved it...thanks again

    Go Zags!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Toxic masculinity.
    " The thrill of victory....the agony of defeat....the human drama of athletic competition...." Adam should have had a cameo along with the ski jumper in the intro to " ABC's Wild World Of Sport " with Jim Mackay….

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    5,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Toxic masculinity.
    This.
    Love the zags for life

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    678

    Default

    What a great interview. Unreal. So many highlights in that 1 hour and 40 minutes. I think him saying Few pulled him aside after Stanford loss and said “you are a pu*%#, you think your Larry Bird??? Your Kiki Vandewagh.” Lol haha I laughed pretty hard cuz I can sort of imagine Fews facial expression and voice tone as he said that

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seattle, spokane
    Posts
    3,102

    Default

    thought I posted here earlier, but somehow it must have not traveled through.
    Fabulous podcast, I am always impressed by the person Adam Morrison, he has never been willing to conform to receive the customary strokes and kudus from others. really has his own drummer.
    since he cried and for some reason nat'l TV made a big deal of it I have noticed players cry openly constantly when they are defeated and out of the Dance, - I will never understand that reputation on Ammo when I see it all the time including the 'manly' sports of boxing and football. when will we see his jersey up in the gym ? why so stingy with the glory?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •