Thread: Maybe the Greatest Zag of them all

Default Maybe the Greatest Zag of them all

I'm trying to think of a Gonzaga basketball topic, so I'm going to start a thread of the greatest Zag of them all Mark Few. I don't think we've ever had a whole thread about him. So why not start one.

I remember back to the early years of the Gonzaga birth into the National spotlight in NCAA basketball I certainly had my time, maybe a "few" years where I could criticize Mark Few a lot. I often got hammered for it here on the GUBoard. I could really get upset with him after losses. But year by year, as Gonzaga has risen into the Elite class of college basketball teams, I find myself in deep appreciation for all Few has done. In recent years I see a more emotional Mark Few on the court too. I see him even getting upset with referees. Yet, for the most part he remains quite stoic like John Wooden.

The one impression I have of Few stuck in my memory banks is him doing his cart-wheels after a few VERY important NCAA TOURNAMENT games. When I saw that event for the first time, I kind of fell in love with him. I really like that side of him, and now that I know that part of him I am accepting his stoic side a lot more.

I think what he has done, along with his coaching staff, has just been remarkable. I am a true believer in Mark Few now. Some of his critics may be disappointed with that statement. But "come on." In my opinion, without Mark Few there are no Zags. i don't think the word Zag would even exist. He's made Gonzaga a household name around the country and even in some homes around the world.

So as I look forward to this year I continue to feel really positive. Not so much because who's going to be playing for the Zags but because of what I believe Few and his staff will do with this team, They will figure out a way to win and get back to the NC Tournament, and do well.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Real nice bornie... great topic and I'm all in on Coach and staff... including Mike Roth and administration... you are right about Coach... he is a winner and a molder of men... his dad gave him such a solid foundation for life... it's about family... and Gonzaga is family.... he is a hall of famer and that day will come... the trajectory is still pointing up and a Natty is on the horizon... I have no doubts Coach will bring it home...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

If Few wins a national Championship he deserves a place on the Mt Rushmore of basketball. I can't think of another coach, past or present who has done what Mark Few has done.
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

Quote Originally Posted by stevet75 View Post
    If Few wins a national Championship he deserves a place on the Mt Rushmore of basketball. I can't think of another coach, past or present who has done what Mark Few has done.
    I would respectfully add Don Haskins to that list. His record speaks for itself.

Haskins was definitely a great coach. I totally agree with you, TZF. I saw that movie about his coaching life. It was a great movie.

I was think back to that article about this years team in the Athletic, and Few talking about how he has been doing a lot of teaching to the new guys about what it is like to be a Zag. There are so many new players this year, and I'm glad that Few is taking the time to teach them that because the bottom line is, Whatever it is that the Zags have become, it's all due to each and every player learning what it is to be a Zag. And there is no better teacher than Mark Few. He originally had the dream, and has worked his buns off to fulfill that dream. He is still chasing it. I believe all of the great high school players who come to Gonzaga, come here because they want to be Zags and learn from Mark Few and Tommy.

Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Haskins was definitely a great coach. I totally agree with you, TZF. I saw that movie about his coaching life. It was a great movie.
    I was a UTEP season ticket holder during the 80’s. All I can say is El Paso is a very difficult place to recruit. Yet, he brought in players like Tim Hardaway, Antonio Davis, and Tiny Archibald, to name just a few.

For those who didn’t know, Coach Haskins had a cameo in the movie. He was the grumpy old gas station attendant. When I saw it, I burst out laughing. I think I was the only one in the theater that caught it.

I won't dispute Few as the GOAT....but Carl Maxey led the Gonzaga Boxing team to it's only National Championship and won a individual title....and Frank Burgess led the Nation in scoring and …..

Both went on to Law School and had remarkable careers in long pants....

Stockton seems like he'd deserve an honorable mention, but that might be the native Jazz fan in me talking.

I remember the god-awful suits he wore the first couple of years. The white shirt didn’t fit and the sleeves were way too long and he looked like something Ross –Dress-For –Less would be ashamed of. I think he wore Anderson & Emami suits after the second year.

Few belongs there for taking a team to the top of the mountain from the bottom, including a huge cancer benefit.

Haskins, for recruiting and taking black players to the top when few else would.

Dean Smith deserves to be there for his coaching and what he did for the social causes of his athletes. Stood alongside them, supported them.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by bobma2c View Post
    I remember the god-awful suits he wore the first couple of years. The white shirt didn’t fit and the sleeves were way too long and he looked like something Ross –Dress-For –Less would be ashamed of. I think he wore Anderson & Emami suits after the second year.
    Huskies your team?

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Few belongs there for taking a team to the top of the mountain from the bottom, including a huge cancer benefit.

Haskins, for recruiting and taking black players to the top when few else would.

Dean Smith deserves to be there for his coaching and what he did for the social causes of his athletes. Stood alongside them, supported them.
    I visit with Mark’s mom and dad once in a while. One of the things they are most proud of is the cancer benefit. It means a lot to them.

love the OP Reborn

watching Few evolve like a player would in his stay at GU, but instead over a 20 year ride since I started following GU, has been a real treat and a fascinatingly exhilarating ride up to the here and now, doing it his way. you all know how I feel about Few

I remember when he took over from Coach Monson being terrified that we would backslide to mediocrity but instead he built this incredible program that seems to get better every year. He has really grown with each year of coaching. I'm dreading the day he retires...but his legacy will remain and those he's trained will likely continue to build.

You won't find a bigger Mark Few fan than me. Very few coaches could go into Spokane and build a program like this. Very, very few. I personally believe that no one else could have done it, but I'll give credit to some other great coaches that may have been able to pull it off if put in the same situation.

He checks off all the boxes.

Integrity, honesty, genuine, humble, witty, technically brilliant, leader, administrator, delegator, team builder.

A generational talent that set the bar very high. The next coach cannot be another Mark Few and we should not expect as much. He will have to build his own unique legacy.
    I miss Mike Hart

They need to name the court after him once he retires.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    You won't find a bigger Mark Few fan than me. Very few coaches could go into Spokane and build a program like this. Very, very few. I personally believe that no one else could have done it, but I'll give credit to some other great coaches that may have been able to pull it off if put in the same situation.

He checks off all the boxes.

Integrity, honesty, genuine, humble, technically brilliant, leader, administrator, delegator, team builder.

A generational talent that set the bar very high. The next coach cannot be another Mark Few and we should not expect as much. He will have to build his own unique legacy.
    Yeah!! n The story really is incredible. And he's so short. He must have been a point guard in college. Did Few go to Oregon? Was he a really good basketball player in college. I really don't know much about his career as a player. I know there is always talk about him going to coach at Oregon; so I just kind of have assumed that he went to college there.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Yeah!! n The story really is incredible. And he's so short. He must have been a point guard in college. Did Few go to Oregon? Was he a really good basketball player in college. I really don't know much about his career as a player. I know there is always talk about him going to coach at Oregon; so I just kind of have assumed that he went to college there.
    Few was pg at Creswell High School. Pretty sure that's as far as he went as a player. According to a Register-Guard story, he led Creswell to an undefeated regular season in 1981. (Per Wiki, injury prevented him from trying to play hoops at Linfield College; he transferred to UO and wanted to play baseball there, but they dropped the sport.) Which makes the story that much more remarkable. Sounds like baseball was his best sport as a player.
    Last edited by maynard g krebs; 09-13-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Great topic just before we embark upon another Mark Few led season. If there were a Wooden type award for a coach having the most CLASS, it would be called the Mark Few award. His humility and integrity are worth every penny Gonzaga pays him. His stoic understated demeanor, his self control and clearly his coaching ability make him a coach we should all be thankful for. Enough cannot be said about this man, and I am here as a devout fan because of him, his selection of players and how he does his business. He has his priorities in order. Around the country outside of Spokane county, people are very aware of Gonzaga but hardly remember too many of the players other than maybe Ammo or John Stockton, but they all know who Mark Few is and have great respect for the man without exception. Reborn, I've been waiting for someone to open up this topic for some time. Thanks
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!