Thread: Quentin Hall, Hurricane

Default Quentin Hall, Hurricane

Mods move when you want. I thought everyone should know Quentin Hall and his family survived the hurricane but lost almost everything. One of his former roommates has set up a Go Fund me page for him. KHQ Patrick Erickson had an interview with him as well.
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/1qyy9bx0c...i5L5y9LZHViDDg

Forever etched in GU History with one of the most iconic calls....."Hall....The Runner!....Gonzaga! The Slipper Still Fits!!!....(Thanks Casey) Still gives me goosebumps....Let's help if we can. I know I am going to. United We ZAG!

Zagnut 2012

I loved those guys. Epic.

Hall before the E8 UCONN game, walks right by the UCONN huddle: "Ass busting, we're busting your asses, Ass Busting on 3, bust your asses" or something to that effect, from one of the reports I have read.

One of the original "We are Zag tough now" even though they lost, HE expected to win.

Now Zags will get his back. Coaches lead the way, and make an ad, the more spread out donations, the less it takes from each person.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

thanks for sharing

I loved his trash talk. Remember "You a busta.”

(From TLC’s "No Scrubs")
    Parlez-vous français?

Quentin Hall Fundraiser on November 4:

From the S-R:
    https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-eve-of-the-b/

It’s called “World Court: How international players helped create one of college basketball’s elite programs” and will be co-hosted by KHQ/SWX sports director Sam Adams and Santangelo.

The evening will feature tons of cool videos, fun and revealing live interviews on stage with Gonzaga men’s assistant coach Tommy Lloyd and women’s head coach Lisa Fortier, as well as lots of former players. But one player, Santangelo told Edelstein – one of the program’s first international players – would be brought back to Spokane to help take the celebration to an entirely different level: beloved Bahamian Bulldog Quentin Hall.

More importantly, the whole evening would be a fundraiser to help Hall and his family rebuild their home in the Bahamas, which was destroyed this summer by Hurricane Dorian. Edelstein had heard all he needed to hear. There was no way he was going to miss this. He was coming back to Spokane, too.

And just like that, there was another host for the event … Big Ed.
    At the S-R Story is a link to purchase GA and VIP tickets. If any of the GUB contingent attends, would love to read about it in this thread

(Pinned the thread for max exposure)
    Last edited by RenoZag; 10-21-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Good job pinning this story, I must have overlooked it the first time around. The support from our community is awesome to see.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

The Dan Monson/Quentin Hall hug at the 40 second mark here remains one of my alltime favorite Zag memories ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZO9j8RBOpg

And I'm so glad many of my old (shall we say "vintage") VCR tapes (including this one) made the web courtesy of darkzagrising

Edited to add ... there are many other Zag treasures in this 14 minute video ....
    Last edited by GoZags; 10-21-2019 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Hall, the runnnerrrrr .... loose ball ... IT'S GOOD

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    The Dan Monson/Quentin Hall hug at the 40 second mark here remains one of my alltime favorite Zag memories ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZO9j8RBOpg

And I'm so glad many of my old (shall we say "vintage") VCR tapes (including this one) made the web courtesy of darkzagrising

Edited to add ... there are many other Zag treasures in this 14 minute video ....
    '99

How many college basketball fans really remember anything about that year, except UConn winning the title. . . and "Gonzaga! The. Slipper. Still. Fits!!!"?
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Any one from the GUB attend tonight's event ?

World Court: Gonzaga international recruiting discussion doubles as fundraiser for former Zag Quentin Hall’s hurricane relief

“I’ve lost everything, but I’ve got everything,” Hall said of his friends and teammates on stage. “I got you guys.”

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...to-the-rescue/

My wife and I attended last night along with my93 MIL who wanted to go. Overall, a very fun evening. AN amusing antidote from Tommy Lloyd about recruiting abroad and the one trip Coach Few made. Coach Lisa Fortier was very entertaining and had some interesting perspectives non American players vs foreign players, and at least for the women’s game, sometimes foreign players with desired skill sets are easier for Gonzaga to recruit since Gonzaga is not a “T-shirt” team. She painted the picture that recruiting for the women’s team, while better than in years past, is still a challenge given the conference, etc. she emphasized, as did all of the speakers, the one advantage that Gonzaga has over other schools is the concept of family which goes beyond the coaches, the University and extends to the community.

Big Ed was hilarious! Obviously a talent who is still living large. I would well imagine he had a very good time at GU, and probably holds some kind of record for skipped classes for hangovers or other mysterious ailments. He kinda of took over towards the middle and things got more humorous and less serious. As the “Voice of the Zags” in 1999, he had lots of stories to tell and as he said, he tried to keep them to PG-13 but I would suspect he was dying to tell more of the R or X rated versions. His story about Q insisting that a female reporter joins them in the hot tub if she wanted to interview any of the players (I think after the Sweet 16 game) was priceless.

A number of players from the 99 team took the stage, among them Casey Calvery, Mike Nilsson and Zach Gourde. All of them had Q stories, and were very funny and well - spoken. Tommy convinced Coach Steve Hertz who was in the audience to come up and say a few words, and he did explaining what it meant to be a Zag. I think an emotional moment for all.

Q was uncharacteristically reserved. I suspect he was emotionally overwhelmed at the out-pouring of respect and love for him and his family. Big Ed did mention the two of them had gotten yelled at earlier in the day by the hotel manager for being too loud and disrupting a conference at the hotel so he wasn’t reserved all day.

The session ended with autographs of posters. A shout out to both Casey and Mike Hart - they were very gracious, kind and warm to my 93 MIL
    when signing her posters. And the same to Laura Stockton who signed two for my two granddaughters.

The Spokesman Review Editor Rob Curley announced that there will be a pre-game party on December 17 and they are bringing in member of the 2007 Zags to attend. Details to be following. He also announced that there will be big screen TV’s set up in Riverfront Park on December 18 for the community to watch the game, again further details to be released.

Thank you very much for the recap !

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneJag View Post
    My wife and I attended last night along with my93 MIL who wanted to go. Overall, a very fun evening. AN amusing antidote from Tommy Lloyd about recruiting abroad and the one trip Coach Few made. Coach Lisa Fortier was very entertaining and had some interesting perspectives non American players vs foreign players, and at least for the women’s game, sometimes foreign players with desired skill sets are easier for Gonzaga to recruit since Gonzaga is not a “T-shirt” team. She painted the picture that recruiting for the women’s team, while better than in years past, is still a challenge given the conference, etc. she emphasized, as did all of the speakers, the one advantage that Gonzaga has over other schools is the concept of family which goes beyond the coaches, the University and extends to the community.

Big Ed was hilarious! Obviously a talent who is still living large. I would well imagine he had a very good time at GU, and probably holds some kind of record for skipped classes for hangovers or other mysterious ailments. He kinda of took over towards the middle and things got more humorous and less serious. As the “Voice of the Zags” in 1999, he had lots of stories to tell and as he said, he tried to keep them to PG-13 but I would suspect he was dying to tell more of the R or X rated versions. His story about Q insisting that a female reporter joins them in the hot tub if she wanted to interview any of the players (I think after the Sweet 16 game) was priceless.

A number of players from the 99 team took the stage, among them Casey Calvery, Mike Nilsson and Zach Gourde. All of them had Q stories, and were very funny and well - spoken. Tommy convinced Coach Steve Hertz who was in the audience to come up and say a few words, and he did explaining what it meant to be a Zag. I think an emotional moment for all.

Q was uncharacteristically reserved. I suspect he was emotionally overwhelmed at the out-pouring of respect and love for him and his family. Big Ed did mention the two of them had gotten yelled at earlier in the day by the hotel manager for being too loud and disrupting a conference at the hotel so he wasn’t reserved all day.

The session ended with autographs of posters. A shout out to both Casey and Mike Hart - they were very gracious, kind and warm to my 93 MIL
    when signing her posters. And the same to Laura Stockton who signed two for my two granddaughters.

The Spokesman Review Editor Rob Curley announced that there will be a pre-game party on December 17 and they are bringing in member of the 2007 Zags to attend. Details to be following. He also announced that there will be big screen TV’s set up in Riverfront Park on December 18 for the community to watch the game, again further details to be released.
    Thank you again for the personal recap! I'm glad you and your family enjoyed it and I hope it helps out Q.