Thread: OT: Pop

Default OT: Pop

Patriotism aside, Iím hoping Popís arrogance gets chipped a bit. A maybe shave that dreadful beard.

He practically walks on water over at Lackland, AFB. He has frequently attended Basic Training graduations there.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bayÖ small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Patriotism aside, I’m hoping Pop’s arrogance gets chipped a bit. A maybe shave that dreadful beard.
    He got chippy, but it didn't affect his arrogance. He didn't like the questions he was asked, according to the articles I read. Nothing new for Pop.

He didnít have enough arrows in his quiver

Sent via mobile device

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    He didn’t have enough arrows in his quiver

Sent via mobile device
    There will be plenty of arrows in the quiver next year. There is no way that Nike and the other shoe companies will allow their prized commodities to sit out the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Patriotism aside, I’m hoping Pop’s arrogance gets chipped a bit. A maybe shave that dreadful beard.
    Maybe too many of the American players put patriotism aside, Jazz. The cast Pop had to direct was mostly “B” listers.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...gold-medal-run

Though these stats and the overall performance of Team USA should trouble American hoop heads, they are more a reflection of the state of Team USA participation than the state of American basketball. If guys such as LeBron James, Kawhi Leonard, Anthony Davis, Curry and Harden participate, these stats and this result would be different. The team almost certainly wouldn't be chasing fifth place, starting with a Thursday matchup against Serbia (7 a.m. ET on ESPN+).

But not only did those guys skip this tournament, they also missed the 2016 Rio Olympics. In the era of sports science and load management, it's fair to ask whether these absences are just a blip on the radar or if they mark a larger trend. We will find out more next summer as Team USA once again tries to reassert its dominance on basketball's biggest international stage.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 09-11-2019 at 10:21 PM.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

I can well imagine that after a 100 games or so the NBA Players would like to stay home with their families... And have a life...

As much as I dislike the Press Mob, and their efforts to create a story, they are just doing their job and the Coaches that take the time and make the effort to answer questions politely and honestly have my respect…and especially those that can answer with some humility and humor....John McKay, former USC Football Coach was the Master... and of course the Press just loved him like everyone else..

Pop is just a bully....and makes no effort to hide his contempt for the media….

I have heard...... and I believe it is true..... that you can tell all you need to know about a person by how they treat a waiter …...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I can well imagine that after a 100 games or so the NBA Players would like to stay home with their families... And have a life...

As much as I dislike the Press Mob, and their efforts to create a story, they are just doing their job and the Coaches that take the time and make the effort to answer questions politely and honestly have my respect…and especially those that can answer with some humility and humor....John McKay, former USC Football Coach was the Master... and of course the Press just loved him like everyone else..

Pop is just a bully....and makes no effort to hide his contempt for the media….

I have heard...... and I believe it is true..... that you can tell all you need to know about a person by how they treat a waiter …...
    Well said, bart.

ETA: Is it possible that Pop isn't the right coach for USA basketball? The NBA game is quite different from international play, perhaps his scheme was too NBA centric. His bullying of reporters will not play well in the Olympics, either. It will bring back the term "Ugly American."

Kawhi winning in Toronto was nice....Pop should have retired years ago

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Maybe too many of the American players put patriotism aside, Jazz. The cast Pop had to direct was mostly “B” listers.
    Even Bteamers is stretching it. This team is comprised of a few Bteamers and the rest being C/D/E teamers.

Still the most talented team on paper but cohesion & chemistry along with fiba familiarity can easily make up for a talent difference, especially in a single game knockout scenario.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...ith-jay-wright

Why USA Basketball should replace Gregg Popovich with Jay Wright
    A loss to Poland will certainly bring on the drumbeat.

The article makes some great points, and Mark Few would be a great fit, too.

You all see what Colangelo said about this? Interesting. I agree with his take btw