OT: California Legislature Proposes Law Allowing Athletes to Make Endorsement Deals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FlyZag
    Bleeds GU Blue
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Gonzdb8 View Post
    This one seems simple enough...if someone else is profiting on your persona/image then you should get paid, regardless of who you are. Doesn't matter how much scholarship you get, what sport you play, what the NCAA fallout might be...you should be the one profiting.
    seems simple, but it's not. Pandoras box. This would POTENTIALLY threaten to eliminate the "amateurism" rule. I like the idea of the trust fund, but somehow I think that violates the CA law, because it requires special mandates that other students/people don't have to go through. I see super shady things in the future if/when this happens. Remember SMU football in the 80s? Think of the "recruiting" ... Billionaire alumni (Oregon, Oklahoma state, Arkansas) paying recruits $$$$ for PR work. Come sign autographs at my car dealer son.. here's $100k for your afternoon of work.. oh and sign this here letter of intent.

If the NFL, NBA and MLB all agree to take kids straight out of HS... it would help... but it wouldn't prevent it.

Comment

• CB4
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2009

Top ranked high school players already go to the top programs, allowing endorsements wouldn't change that. Gonzaga still would have recruited Hachimura and Clarke on last year's team. Recruiting would still be important. The top guys on the Zags would get big endorsements, the rest would be able to make some money locally, perhaps more than any other school, through local endorsements.

Comment

• FlyZag
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by CB4 View Post
        Top ranked high school players already go to the top programs, allowing endorsements wouldn't change that. Gonzaga still would have recruited Hachimura and Clarke on last year's team. Recruiting would still be important. The top guys on the Zags would get big endorsements, the rest would be able to make some money locally, perhaps more than any other school, through local endorsements.
        how do you limit compensation to just endorsements? and how do you define endorsement? Is appearing at a local business for a photo shoot considered an endorsement?

Comment

• CB4
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by FlyZag View Post
          how do you limit compensation to just endorsements? and how do you define endorsement? Is appearing at a local business for a photo shoot considered an endorsement?
          In terms of what is limited, first of all the school would not be required to pay a salary or wages to the players - they're not employees so nothing changes in that regard.

Endorsements are any outside trade of money for the players endorsement of a product ranging from Nike shoes to car dealerships to Ramen noodles.

Things like whether the students should be allowed to get a cut of revenue from jersey sales or school related revenue isn't an endorsement issue but a revenue sharing issues.

Comment

• sylean
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2010

you're right....if this goes thru it will just reinforce the power of the big city/big university's ability to pull in star players......the advertising bucks available in Spokane vs Seattle or LA or Chicago or NYC pale in comparison...

why are they playing this game? college is about education, not making big money for its athletes.....is college tuition and books and room and board and a stipend plus the ability to be on a national showcase not good enough anymore....

Comment

• PeninsulaDog
              Kennel Club Material
              • Feb 2007

Good to see the California legislature focusing on the really big issues as usual. Is there an escape hatch somewhere in this place?

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Gonzdb8 View Post
                This one seems simple enough...if someone else is profiting on your persona/image then you should get paid, regardless of who you are. Doesn't matter how much scholarship you get, what sport you play, what the NCAA fallout might be...you should be the one profiting.
                How does one monetize the persons draw power versus the institutional draw power for jerseys for example?
                Could a university forbid names on jerseys? If so how do you monetize a jersey number if other players have worn that number in past

Don’t like the current process and you think your name is valued in marketing world go play overseas. G league or others and feel free to market your image or name
                The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• MDABE80
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

This place be an ongoing topic for the next two months till tip-off. I predict this top is worth 500000 posts. 6 weeks till we rip off.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by FlyZag View Post
                    I remember reading that the NCAA was concerned it would lead to California schools exclusion from participating in the NCAA
                    That wouldn’t be much different than it is already

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                      That wouldn’t be much different than it is already
                      You noticed that, too?

Comment

• Zagceo
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                        I hope to see this pass everywhere.

At the very least, kids should control their own persona. The schools are already making money off jersy sales and such, this would only allow the student to do the same.
                        I agree BUT what kind of protection would/could be installed against large benefactor buying 1000 jerseys of some stud?

Comment

• Vanzagger
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

The direction this thing could get started down you might see a draft. You might need a draft to save the industry.

Would Power 5 draft first? Remember football pays the bills
                          Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                            • Feb 2007

Just going to throw this out there... what if an endorsement comes from alumni or fans of the teams... at that point, are we not talking about Sam Gilbert and guys like him? Quite conceivably, I could see a major recruit coming into GU and flat out asking, how much are you going to get me in endorsements to play for you? Very very slippery slope into corruption.
                            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Mantua
                              Zag for Life
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
                              Just going to throw this out there... what if an endorsement comes from alumni or fans of the teams... at that point, are we not talking about Sam Gilbert and guys like him? Quite conceivably, I could see a major recruit coming into GU and flat out asking, how much are you going to get me in endorsements to play for you? Very very slippery slope into corruption.
                              I agree. There are far too many pitfalls.
                              Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• willandi
                                Zag for Life
                                • Nov 2007

Name ONE player in a team sport that did not require the other players to succeed.

That is what I see as the real problem.
                                Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

Working...
                                X