Thread: OT: California Legislature Proposes Law Allowing Athletes to Make Endorsement Deals

Hybrid View

Default OT: California Legislature Proposes Law Allowing Athletes to Make Endorsement Deals

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/09/s...alifornia.html

Skinner, who was elected to the State Senate three years ago, produced a bill that would allow college athletes in California to be paid for the use of their name, image and likeness — be they basketball stars signing their own marketing deals or water polo players advertising offers of swim lessons.

The Fair Pay to Play Act, which Skinner wrote with Steven Bradford, a fellow Democrat in the State Senate, cleared the State Assembly on Monday by a vote of 72-0, with support from civil rights advocates and free-market proponents, including some Republicans. A version of the bill had already cleared the Senate.
    “We’re firmly against anything that would lead to a pay-for-play system,” said Larry Scott, the commissioner of the Pac-12 Conference, which has four universities in California and eight outside the state.

Scott and other leaders in college sports — including the N.C.A.A. president, Mark Emmert, in a letter to California legislators this summer — paint a doomsday scenario for the state’s athletic teams if the bill becomes law. They say that colleges in California could be prohibited from competing for N.C.A.A. championships because they would have an unfair recruiting advantage — being able to lure athletes with the possibility of cashing in on anything from jersey sales to sponsorship deals.

“It’s like you and I sit down to play Monopoly and I pull out a different rule book and every time I pass Go, I’m going to give myself $400 instead of $200,” said Andy Fee, the athletic director at Long Beach State. “I don’t imagine too many people are going to be willing to allow California schools to compete for N.C.A.A. championships.”
    S.B. 206 is the designation for the bill. Additional coverage of the story can be found at:

USAToday: https://usatodayhss.com/2019/califor...ir-pay-to-play

National Law Review: https://www.natlawreview.com/article...-moves-forward

(Will move to Sports Talk forum in a day or two )
    Last edited by RenoZag; 09-09-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Right now LaVar Ball is trying to get LiAngelo re-signed with UCLA.
    Parlez-vous français?

Living in the Bay Area, it's been fascinating to follow this.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I wonder what the NCAA has to say on this...
    I also wonder if a focused kid has the time...…...

Default NCAA Responds w/ Letter to CA Governor

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I wonder what the NCAA has to say on this...
    The NCAA Board of Governors sent a letter Wednesday to California Gov. Gavin Newsom, making clear its belief that this bill would wipe out the distinction between college and professional athletics and eliminate the element of fairness that supports all of college sports. Text of the letter follows:

LINK: https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...enate-bill-206

California Senate Bill 206 would upend that balance. If the bill becomes law and California’s 58 NCAA schools are compelled to allow an unrestricted name, image and likeness scheme, it would erase the critical distinction between college and professional athletics and, because it gives those schools an unfair recruiting advantage, would result in them eventually being unable to compete in NCAA competitions. These outcomes are untenable and would negatively impact more than 24,000 California student-athletes across three divisions.

Right now, nearly half a million student-athletes in all 50 states compete under the same rules. This bill would remove that essential element of fairness and equal treatment that forms the bedrock of college sports.

The NCAA continues to focus on the best interests of all student-athletes nationwide. NCAA member schools already are working on changing rules for all student-athletes to appropriately use their name, image and likeness in accordance with our values — but not pay them to play. The NCAA has consistently stood by its belief that student-athletes are students first, and they should not be employees of the university.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

What exactly would it mean that "all student-athletes to appropriately use their name, image and likeness in accordance with our values — but not pay them to play." They have a right to their own name, image and likeness, but can't make any money off of them? In that case, do they actually have a right to those things?
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I doubt it'll come to this but if NCAA dictates that if California carries their plan through, and NCAA basically bans the CA schools from NCAA games, and obviously championship play, I wonder how long it would take before blue chip or even medium grade athletes flee the state? And there are other and multiple implications as well. One thing comes to mind is TV revenue losses in CA.

Used to be that California was the beacon of the future. This is a poorly thought out plan like most everything in CA is these days. One thing's obvious to me though: they're courting chaos with this move. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Thanks for posting, Reno.

I find it ironic that the obvious benefits of being paid for one's likeness will go only to 1% of the athletes, at most. Might go up to 5% at Division I level for football and basketball.

It will kill March Madness. It won't do anything to the CFP, because less than 10 schools have a chance at the brass ring every year.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/09/s...alifornia.html

S.B. 206 is the designation for the bill. Additional coverage of the story can be found at:

USAToday: https://usatodayhss.com/2019/califor...ir-pay-to-play

National Law Review: https://www.natlawreview.com/article...-moves-forward

(Will move to Sports Talk forum in a day or two )

If successful, could this be the "beginning of the end"? Would other state legislators consider passing such a law?

I hope to see this pass everywhere.

At the very least, kids should control their own persona. The schools are already making money off jersy sales and such, this would only allow the student to do the same.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Are there actually state laws prohibiting teenagers from signing endorsement deals? I thought this prohibition was purely an NCAA rules of membership thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post

At the very least, kids should control their own persona. The schools are already making money off jersy sales and such, this would only allow the student to do the same.
    Every kid/recruit, high or low ranked, would be clamoring for "big city markets", just as NBA free agents often do.

No matter your ranking, majority of recruits will be seeking exposure for these endorsement deals. The companies connecting with these kids are often located in LA, NYC, Chicago, etc.

Easiest pathway to making $.

Dangerous water they are treading, slippery slope on the horizon? Will be interesting how the NCAA handles this

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    Every kid/recruit, high or low ranked, would be clamoring for "big city markets", just as NBA free agents often do.

No matter your ranking, majority of recruits will be seeking exposure for these endorsement deals. The companies connecting with these kids are often located in LA, NYC, Chicago, etc.

Easiest pathway to making $.

Dangerous water they are treading, slippery slope on the horizon? Will be interesting how the NCAA handles this
    How well would the front runner for the Heisman do if his O-line didn't block for him?

What if NO-ONE ever passed the ball to Zion?

Only sports that are not team sports would this make any sense, to me.

I agree that no current athlete should have his image used for profit by another, and yet, they are getting an all expenses paid education AND an extreme boost up in the world post college. Even non stars have a better shot at a better job in the community after graduation.

For team sports, and they are essentially the ones we are talking about, I am opposed. It separates the stars from the rest of the team and they are only stars because of the rest of the team.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I remember reading that the NCAA was concerned it would lead to California schools exclusion from participating in the NCAA

you're right....if this goes thru it will just reinforce the power of the big city/big university's ability to pull in star players......the advertising bucks available in Spokane vs Seattle or LA or Chicago or NYC pale in comparison...

why are they playing this game? college is about education, not making big money for its athletes.....is college tuition and books and room and board and a stipend plus the ability to be on a national showcase not good enough anymore....

Good to see the California legislature focusing on the really big issues as usual. Is there an escape hatch somewhere in this place?

I agree BUT what kind of protection would/could be installed against large benefactor buying 1000 jerseys of some stud?

The direction this thing could get started down you might see a draft. You might need a draft to save the industry.

Would Power 5 draft first? Remember football pays the bills
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Just going to throw this out there... what if an endorsement comes from alumni or fans of the teams... at that point, are we not talking about Sam Gilbert and guys like him? Quite conceivably, I could see a major recruit coming into GU and flat out asking, how much are you going to get me in endorsements to play for you? Very very slippery slope into corruption.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Do athletes surrender control of their Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) when they sign up to play college sports? Sounds like that’s the view of the NCAA, though the O’Bannon lawsuit results certainly chipped away at that piece of the rock

Sent via mobile device

Basketball Web Sites Listing

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.