Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: OT: California Legislature Proposes Law Allowing Athletes to Make Endorsement Deals

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Whether we like it or not, nobody pays any money to go see the band.
    Except the band parents, and there’s millions of them across the US.

Our fees for band this year will exceed $1000, not including the travel costs for two competitions in St. Louis and San Antonio.

The bands should get all the money people are willing to pay them...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    The bands should get all the money people are willing to pay them...
    Bands of America is like the NCAA, a big money grab.

Our teams routinely beat the SWAC and the other HBCs, would win the national championships every single year. Not even close.

I was at the game when 15 seed Hampton beat 2 seed Iowa State in Boise.

The crowd initially seemed oblivious as to just the greatness coming out of Hampton's band, infinitely better than Iowa States great band.

But as the game wore on, it became impossible to ignore. The roar of the crowd rose for every single time they played, until by the end of the game, the entire crowd was in love with the team AND band.

The band went out to the Boise Grove and played till midnight that night, huge crowds gathered. Next night, they played at a Boise hockey team's game. Roars.

When they walked in before the Saturday game, the crowd roared for the BAND, before the team was even out there.

It was an incredible experience.

Michael Wilbon was at the games, he didn't write about the games, his best article ever is here. "And the Band Played On" http://mariah95.com/sports/hampton.htm
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Should student-musicians be allowed to keep their band scholarships if they play local gigs for cash or sell their music online?

They should tour stadiums like the Beatles or the Eagles …..retire with millions....
    Last edited by bartruff1; 09-16-2019 at 10:58 AM.

They should tour stadiums like the Beatles or the Eagles …..retire with millions....
    What schools did the Beatles and the Eagles play for, and where did they tour while they were in school?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    What schools did the Beatles and the Eagles play for, and where did they tour while they were in school?
    You don't have to be in school or represent a school to have a band....there is no money in that...

FWIW, Don Henley is a well known alum of Univ. of North Texas.

Quite a list of musicians here https://northtexan.unt.edu/notable-a...ategory_tid=36

South Carolina is also going to consider a similar bill to the one California passed...

What is that game using wood sticks, where you keeping removing one at a time and the one that pulls out one and the entire tower falls...like the twin towers???

This could be the beginning of the end!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    South Carolina is also going to consider a similar bill to the one California passed...

What is that game using wood sticks, where you keeping removing one at a time and the one that pulls out one and the entire tower falls...like the twin towers???

This could be the beginning of the end!!!

Jenga

You don't have to be in school or represent a school to have a band....there is no money in that...
    Sorry. I thought we were comparing apples to apples.

Alumni are NOT what we are talking about. We are discussing students.

Sorry. I thought we were comparing apples to apples.

Alumni are NOT what we are talking about. We are discussing students.
    We are....I was just joking around...and the band students should be able to make and keep any money they can ...but as Kitz pointed out, that probably is not much ....

I suspect if the Husky Band had a concert in Husky Stadium without a football game they wouldn't draw much of a crowd....and conversely if the band didn't march at the football games the football team would fill the stadium....

There are current options for 'semi-pro' leagues in all major sports.

How about, when kids come out of high school, they decide if they want to get paid or play a sport in college. They can only do one. They CAN leave college at any time to get paid, but can't come back.

why should my tax dollars be used to subsidize someone to attend a public college for an education and who is getting paid?

want to make money, then pay your own way should be the rule

as to NCAA forbidding colleges from engaging in a sport if they violate NCAA rules no one mandates the college from being a willful participant in that organization. BUT if you want to be involved in that opportunity you must play by their rules or be held accountable......so California go make your own little group and make your own rules

signing a letter of intent (through the CCA not the NCAA) you are agreeing to abide by the rules, as a binding agreement in lieu of following the rules you are granted a gift in kind (tuition, room and board, books, travel etc)...nothing forcing a kid to sign that letter of intent and abide by the agreement

nothing forbids a student athlete from working, in fact the vast majority of student athletes participating in NCAA athletics do work (even higher numbers in D2 and D3 levels)

while we are at it, NCAA should CAP the coaching salary and staff salaries as well. Cap the salaries of university presidents as well as NCAA board members and mandate a holdback reserve of 2% profit for rainy day and all other funds must be distributed and utilized by the universities on an equal share.

This is an effort to appease a very small number (4% of all students are athletes)
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    why should my tax dollars be used to subsidize someone to attend a public college for an education and who is getting paid?

want to make money, then pay your own way should be the rule

as to NCAA forbidding colleges from engaging in a sport if they violate NCAA rules no one mandates the college from being a willful participant in that organization. BUT if you want to be involved in that opportunity you must play by their rules or be held accountable......so California go make your own little group and make your own rules

signing a letter of intent (through the CCA not the NCAA) you are agreeing to abide by the rules, as a binding agreement in lieu of following the rules you are granted a gift in kind (tuition, room and board, books, travel etc)...nothing forcing a kid to sign that letter of intent and abide by the agreement

nothing forbids a student athlete from working, in fact the vast majority of student athletes participating in NCAA athletics do work (even higher numbers in D2 and D3 levels)

while we are at it, NCAA should CAP the coaching salary and staff salaries as well. Cap the salaries of university presidents as well as NCAA board members and mandate a holdback reserve of 2% profit for rainy day and all other funds must be distributed and utilized by the universities on an equal share.

This is an effort to appease a very small number (4% of all students are athletes)
    And 1% or less would benefit by the rule change.

California doesn't need the NCAA.....they have all the resources they need to operate a viable statewide college athletic program consistent with their laws and values....

If California was a Country it would have the 5th largest economy in the world behind only the US, China, Japan and Germany and growing at nearly 4% may very well become the third largest......and that is amazing as it only has about 40 million people...that would be about the 40th in population size...

California doesn't need the NCAA.....they have all the resources they need to operate a viable statewide college athletic program consistent with their laws and values....

If California was a Country it would have the 5th largest economy in the world behind only the US, China, Japan and Germany and growing at nearly 4% may very well become the third largest......and that is amazing as it only has about 40 million people...that would be about the 40th in population size...
    How many Cali schools make March madness most years? Not more than 2-3 is my guess.

They would lose out on all that money.

There are about two dozen D1 Colleges in California.....they could have their own Championships and probably make more money...but maybe not....in any case they don't seems to be to concerned ….I am not going to go reread the article....

But as I recall, their lawyers maintain the NCAA could not prevent them from playing for National Championships ??? I will leave the lawyering to the lawyers....

Normally when a Bill goes to the floor there has been a lot of groundwork already done in Committee .....and then there are hearings and all the people that will be impacted (stakeholders) will have a opportunity to testify for or against the Bill as written.... the Bill is then revised to address those concerns and then is voted on....I am confident that all those concerns have been addressed.... . but not necessarily to everyone's satisfaction...they can appeal...

I would assume all the schools had a opportunity to comment.....as I recall the Bill got unanimous support.... and it is then likely the Governor will sign it into law....that is to take effect in 2023 ???

Obviously..... if it become law and is upheld on appeals...the schools will have to abide by it....

cool they can have it from my perspective
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

There are about two dozen D1 Colleges in California.....they could have their own Championships and probably make more money...but maybe not....in any case they don't seems to be to concerned ….I am not going to go reread the article....

But as I recall, their lawyers maintain the NCAA could not prevent them from playing for National Championships ??? I will leave the lawyering to the lawyers....

Normally when a Bill goes to the floor there has been a lot of groundwork already done in Committee .....and then there are hearings and all the people that will be impacted (stakeholders) will have a opportunity to testify for or against the Bill as written.... the Bill is then revised to address those concerns and then is voted on....I am confident that all those concerns have been addressed.... . but not necessarily to everyone's satisfaction...they can appeal...

I would assume all the schools had a opportunity to comment.....as I recall the Bill got unanimous support.... and it is then likely the Governor will sign it into law....that is to take effect in 2023 ???

Obviously..... if it become law and is upheld on appeals...the schools will have to abide by it....

The California Junior Colleges do not compete in the JC National Championships as they have their own championships in each sport and have been doing well for many decades.

I still believe that if this law is upheld in the courts, then a national change in how D1 college athletics are run is on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    The California Junior Colleges do not compete in the JC National Championships as they have their own championships in each sport and have been doing well for many decades.

I still believe that if this law is upheld in the courts, then a national change in how D1 college athletics are run is on the horizon.
    I agree about it changing things, and while I'm not crazy about the NCAA, I don't see any one else that could do the job.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...r-pay-play-act

\Signed into law today with it going nto effect in 2023.

Say good-bye to the last bastion of amateur sports.

Very interesting, other states likely to follow which will force the NCAAs hand. Those with the biggest boosters will reign supreme in college sports. I still feel the ultimate solution is provide two options: go pro or take the current route. But, that assumes that the professional organizations will allow them to go pro.