Thread: Why Professional Athletes Go Broke

Default Why Professional Athletes Go Broke

It's why playing 3-4 years in the NBA after a year or two in college (and then getting released and never playing again) isn't as great as people think. Lots of athletes lose every dime, and not just because of bling bling. This news segment talks about how families, friends, bad agents, Uncle Sam and con artists can take the money just like that. I am normally not a fan of Mark Cuban, but he once said that the greatest word in the English language once you first become rich is NO. Nobody gets a dime. If friends and family get pissed, well, they are not your true friends and family. Obviously, if your beloved mom is dirt poor and struggling with pancreatic cancer it's a different story. But it's not issues like that that nail athletes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLkVTHcnjpc

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    It's why playing 3-4 years in the NBA after a year or two in college (and then getting released and never playing again) isn't as great as people think. Lots of athletes lose every dime, and not just because of bling bling. This news segment talks about how families, friends, bad agents, Uncle Sam and con artists can take the money just like that. I am normally not a fan of Mark Cuban, but he once said that the greatest word in the English language once you first become rich is NO. Nobody gets a dime. If friends and family get pissed, well, they are not your true friends and family. Obviously, if your beloved mom is dirt poor and struggling with pancreatic cancer it's a different story. But it's not issues like that that nail athletes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLkVTHcnjpc
    Agree.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

The last scene in the video is the absolute key. The man says the love of money is the root of evil and it’s what you do with it that defines you. I was asked recently what would be the first thing you would do if you won the lottery. My answer? Pray.