• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Malastein
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Any word on Oumar Ballo?

Has he arrived on campus? Is he expected to arrive soon?

Thanks!
    The only hope we have for a better future is to come together and do everything we possibly can in order to achieve a sustainable existence. Everything else is folly of a broken foundation.
  • MadonnaBinLaden
    Bulldog Fan
    • Jun 2018

Have not seen him on campus yet. I'm guessing redshirt this year.

Comment

• zagnut2012
      Kennel Club Material
      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by MadonnaBinLaden View Post
      Have not seen him on campus yet. I'm guessing redshirt this year.
      I will be shocked if Ballo redshirts this year. Yes he is young, but a redshirt for a 4-5 star center? Again shocking if this happens......

Comment

• TexasZagFan
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

IIRC, Silas Melson was the last Zag who redshirted for developmental reasons. The injury to Josh short circuited that plan.

Before that, it was Kelly Olynyk. Since then, redshirts have been used for undergrad transfers (Brandon Clarke) and medical redshirts.

In today's environment, the players who come to Gonzaga are primarily on two- or three-year plans. There will be exceptions, of course, such as Josh Perkins, and perhaps Corey. However, I'm expecting a breakout season from Corey, which could mean an exit after this year.

Comment

• Goshzagit
          Zag for Life
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by zagnut2012 View Post
          I will be shocked if Ballo redshirts this year. Yes he is young, but a redshirt for a 4-5 star center? Again shocking if this happens......
          May not have a choice until he can get his visa issues straightened out. He had problems getting to FIBA on time as well, due to same issues.

Hope he arrives soon.

These scrimmages, player-run practices, and individual workouts with Coaches are pretty darn important -- especially for a freshman big. The full participant practices don't start for another month.

Not to mention acclimating to college as a 17 yr old inter-national player.

Comment

• Bogozags
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
            IIRC, Silas Melson was the last Zag who redshirted for developmental reasons. The injury to Josh short circuited that plan.

Before that, it was Kelly Olynyk. Since then, redshirts have been used for undergrad transfers (Brandon Clarke) and medical redshirts.

In today's environment, the players who come to Gonzaga are primarily on two- or three-year plans. There will be exceptions, of course, such as Josh Perkins, and perhaps Corey. However, I'm expecting a breakout season from Corey, which could mean an exit after this year.

I agree, he won’t be a red shirt...he is too talented and imo get quality minutes...to me he is like a “Rui” in that Ballo has the same level of talent BUT he speaks and understands English...

Now, the issue is “IF” he can get into the States. We know that this administration has put restrictions on people getting in...don’t know if her is Moslem but if he is that could attribute to any delays...fingers are crossed here he gets in sooner than later as he will have lots of catching up to do in the classroom and on the court...

Comment

• TheBunnieRancher
              Kennel Club Material
              • Oct 2007

Doesn't matter if he is what his faith is, the American that was sent to Iraq because he wasn't born here and had Iraqi heritage and then died because he was a diabetic and couldn't get treatment there was Catholic. The current administration does not pay attention to a person's individual faith claims, just what region they are from.

Comment

• Bogozags
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by TheBunnieRancher View Post
                Doesn't matter if he is what his faith is, the American that was sent to Iraq because he wasn't born here and had Iraqi heritage and then died because he was a diabetic and couldn't get treatment there was Catholic. The current administration does not pay attention to a person's individual faith claims, just what region they are from.
                I’m sorry don’t feel offended but that man was being deported not attempting to obtain a visa to entry the US...that is the difference...now to this administration religion seems to have a bearing on accepting VISA requests, which is why I brought up the concern...

Comment

• zagnut2012
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Goshzagit View Post
                  May not have a choice until he can get his visa issues straightened out. He had problems getting to FIBA on time as well, due to same issues.

Hope he arrives soon.

These scrimmages, player-run practices, and individual workouts with Coaches are pretty darn important -- especially for a freshman big. The full participant practices don't start for another month.

Not to mention acclimating to college as a 17 yr old inter-national player.
                  “I want to play in college as soon as I can, so that is why I want to reclassify to 2019 … if you have a chance to play at a high level, I think it’s really cool. You can make your dreams come true, you know?” Ballo said

I am surely hoping that GU's staff is all over the "eligibility" and "visa" issues. We should be experts at this by now with the international players we recruit. Right? Thoughts? My take is that it will be resolved and we will see his "raw" talent develop before our eyes.

Comment

• Bogozags
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by zagnut2012 View Post
                    “I want to play in college as soon as I can, so that is why I want to reclassify to 2019 … if you have a chance to play at a high level, I think it’s really cool. You can make your dreams come true, you know?” Ballo said

I am surely hoping that GU's staff is all over the "eligibility" and "visa" issues. We should be experts at this by now with the international players we recruit. Right? Thoughts? My take is that it will be resolved and we will see his "raw" talent develop before our eyes.
                    As I said, fingers are crossed he get’s here sooner than later...

Comment

• Markburn1
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2015

These are extremely irresponsible comments. Immigration law is extremely complex. The US has a long history of restricting immigrants from certain countries, education levels, special skills, etc. The restrictions placed by the current administration are on eight countries with a history of exporting violence and that have inadequate documentation on their citizens. Because some of them are predominantly Muslim doesn’t mean the US is discriminating against a religion. It means we are attempting to protect against terrorism.

Mali is not on the restricted list. No matter the expertise of Gonzaga basketball concerning immigration, there are sometimes complicated procedures that are required that throw up roadblocks from time to time. I don’t anticipate failure here. Maybe a delay, but count on Ballo being on campus very soon.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                        • Feb 2007

Let's keep the politics out of this in general. This is, from what I can see, a mere issue of documentation. Be patient. We've seen this before and we'll see it again.
                        "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• CB4
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2009

U.S. Embassy in Mali wesbite: https://ml.usembassy.gov/visas/study-exchange/

It looks like he needs an F visa which is the common visa for foreign students studying in the USA. He basically needs provide the necessary documentation (i.e. birth certificates) and dot his i's and cross his t's on the application for it to be stamped and approved.

Gonzaga has 200 international students from 40 countries, the majority of whom are on F1 visas. So this isn't something unusual for the school or the basketball team (Russia, Poland, Canada, France, Japan, etc.) to handle.

The most likely thing that happened is that Ballo submitted the application in the past few months and it's being processed by the immigration department, which is backed up and slow.

Comment

• ZagRecruitWatch
                            Kennel Club Alum
                            • Jul 2019

Originally posted by CB4 View Post
                            U.S. Embassy in Mali wesbite: https://ml.usembassy.gov/visas/study-exchange/

It looks like he needs an F visa which is the common visa for foreign students studying in the USA. He basically needs provide the necessary documentation (i.e. birth certificates) and dot his i's and cross his t's on the application for it to be stamped and approved.
                            A little curious why this is being done at the last minute. I also wonder how this will impact is academics since GU classes have already started.

Comment

• CB4
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
                              A little curious why this is being done at the last minute. I also wonder how this will impact is academics since GU classes have already started.
                              We don't know if it was done at the last minute. I'm speculating, in a sense. But the delay could be for any number of reasons: failure to provide all required information and documentation, filing in the past few months/weeks, the date of the F1 application interview, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X