Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any word on Oumar Ballo?

[QUOTE=LTownZag;1475920]
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post

Was Karno ever even the best "big" on any of his own GU teams?

Longevity goes a ways towards cementing a legacy.
    Karno bromantics abound here. The Bonus was the best.

[QUOTE=LTownZag;1475945]
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Valley Zag View Post

Freshman year obviously the All American Olynyk was far better.
    Sophomore year the (senior) Dower was better.
    Junior year Wiltjer (and Sabonis) were better.
    Senior year he was a sentimental favorite, but do the result show he was better than JW3 or Collins?

What (other than assists) was he the best at?
    Thank you.

[QUOTE=jazzdelmar;1475998]
    Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post

Thank you.
    college and the nba are two different games...ranking players based on where they are drafted and if they have nba success doesn't really tell you anything about the impact they made in college. many wooden award winners never make it in the nba...should tell you something.

WallaWalla is on point---But logic doesn't support jazzes dislike of Karno.

I hope Ballo becomes a Zag legend and makes a name for himself in Zag lore as one of the best centers to play in Spokane.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    The three best bigs to ever play with us, IMHO, are KO, Collings, and Domas S. They all entered the NBA at a higher level than Shem, JWIII, Sacre, Austin D. or Ronny, and continued to improve there. Other great bigs like Shem, Calvary, Harris, Batista, never sniffed the NBA. Not sure about Elias Harris sniffing.
    When recruiting bigs for GU you would rather bring up the success stories of Collings, Domas and KO than Shem. These do not want to play 4 years of college ball and not make it into the NBA
    Maybe so, but now we're talking about two different questions: "who performed basketball at the highest level overall throughout their life?" or "who performed basketball better while at Gonzaga?"

Being a senior gives you a big advantage over freshman. You're stronger, smarter, and have been working on your craft for three more years. Freshman went to prom earlier that year. So, for the latter question it's a plus. For the former, the opposite is true: if you're a senior that means pro scouts probably didn't think your upside was good enough for you to go early.

So, you might be right about those guys overall, but Przemy performed better while at GU. IMO.

Maybe so, but now we're talking about two different questions: "who performed basketball at the highest level overall throughout their life?" or "who performed basketball better while at Gonzaga?"

Being a senior gives you a big advantage over freshman. You're stronger, smarter, and have been working on your craft for three more years. Freshman went to prom earlier that year. So, for the latter question it's a plus. For the former, the opposite is true: if you're a senior that means pro scouts probably didn't think your upside was good enough for you to go early.

So, you might be right about those guys overall, but Przemy performed better while at GU. IMO.
    I completely agree with you. Let's not forget that Karno came back from a serious back injury, and there were no guarantees he would play after redshirting.

As to Domas, that one game against Utah vaulted him into an NBA lottery pick. Shem was far more consistent over his career, and created more problems for opponents than Domas. Opponents often used Sabonis' passion against him, to lure him into foul trouble, or simply frustrate him.

Sabonis/Karno comp is apples and oranges, and sort of a Rohrschach (sp?) test of what the observer values. IMO Sabonis and Clarke are neck and neck as the most dominant bigs of the recent era, for a season. Sabonis the most dominant rebounder by far, Clarke a good rebounder/great shot blocier and intimidator, both high% unstoppable post scorers. But both for one great season.

Karno gets the lifetime achievement award for his 5 years as a stalwart and winningest Zag ever. Eye of the beholder. I can't decide who's the "greatest". Points to be made for all.

Hopefully the week has gone well for young Mr. Ballo.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

I vote Josh Hyfelt How one night changed his entire life.
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

Oumar looks good in his number (Big) "O" today.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/oumarballo11/?hl=en
    Parlez-vous français?

The three best bigs to ever play with us, IMHO, are KO, Collings, and Domas S. They all entered the NBA at a higher level than Shem, JWIII, Sacre, Austin D. or Ronny, and continued to improve there. Other great bigs like Shem, Calvary, Harris, Batista, never sniffed the NBA. Not sure about Elias Harris sniffing.
    When recruiting bigs for GU you would rather bring up the success stories of Collings, Domas and KO than Shem. These do not want to play 4 years of college ball and not make it into the NBA

Hi Grand Valley, actually I was talking about a third criterion: What are the best bigs ever to play for GU at the time they left, that is comparing each player's skill and value to the team in their last year in a zag uniform. I have assumed that ammo is better described as a wing than a 'big' but I am not sure that is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Oumar looks good in his number (Big) "O" today.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/oumarballo11/?hl=en
    Wont turn 18 til next July.

Amazing.

As someone said on his IG, 'just scratching the surface".

ok for those of us who do not do instagram - any way to see the pic?

[QUOTE=TexasZagFan;1475914]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post

That's a pretty high mountain to climb, Bogo. Better than Karno?
    TZF this is just my opinion, which I base on watching him move on the court. He is truly only a "kid" in a man's body that will develop immensely these next two years. First off, don't know his weight but he will lose the "baby fat" and most likely put on 20-30lbs of muscle. Second, his basketball skill set as a 16-17 year old is remarkable and will only improve over time. Third, he is a down to earth guy, much like Rui and I compare the two, as both are from all appearances, very humble and respectful and honest - as what you see is what you get...he is definitely not a "plastic" individual...of course he fits the mold of almost all of GU's players.

GU has been blessed with some great college post players (Ronnie, KO, PK, DS and BC) over these past two decades. Ronnie (4th year) was a second rounder and KO (4th year), DS (2nd year) and BC (4th year) were all first rounders. Unfortunately for PK (5th year) the NBA game changed and his skill set was not valued at that level. I just see something very special in Ballo and believe he will be the best we have had to date. I am not saying he is going to take us by storm to the promised land but as an individual player he will shine like no other.

I am making a bold prediction that he will be such a great player for GU. I am just surprised that there are not more on this site that don't see what I see and have the same opinion. Time will tell but "IF" he can stay healthy, I believe this prediction will be self evident.

PS: By the way, how are you liking retirement?

[QUOTE=Bogozags;1476050]

TZF this is just my opinion, which I base on watching him move on the court. He is truly only a "kid" in a man's body that will develop immensely these next two years. First off, don't know his weight but he will lose the "baby fat" and most likely put on 20-30lbs of muscle. Second, his basketball skill set as a 16-17 year old is remarkable and will only improve over time. Third, he is a down to earth guy, much like Rui and I compare the two, as both are from all appearances, very humble and respectful and honest - as what you see is what you get...he is definitely not a "plastic" individual...of course he fits the mold of almost all of GU's players.

GU has been blessed with some great college post players (Ronnie, KO, PK, DS and BC) over these past two decades. Ronnie (4th year) was a second rounder and KO (4th year), DS (2nd year) and BC (4th year) were all first rounders. Unfortunately for PK (5th year) the NBA game changed and his skill set was not valued at that level. I just see something very special in Ballo and believe he will be the best we have had to date. I am not saying he is going to take us by storm to the promised land but as an individual player he will shine like no other.

I am making a bold prediction that he will be such a great player for GU. I am just surprised that there are not more on this site that don't see what I see and have the same opinion. Time will tell but "IF" he can stay healthy, I believe this prediction will be self evident.

I don’t think your opinion is that far-fetched. This kid has very special talents.
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -

[QUOTE=Martin Centre Mad Man;1476053]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post

I don’t think your opinion is that far-fetched. This kid has very special talents.
    For some reason when I go to the Official GU website I can't find our record against the College of Cardinals. Something tells me they are not real athletic either...

[QUOTE=Bogozags;1476050]

It's all good, Bogo...keep stating your opinions, it's a vital part of this website. I'm hoping for great things with Oumar, and I'm excited for the continued excellence of the program.

As to your closing question, all I can say is "retirement is underrated."

The biggest plus is not having to deal with incompetent supervisors/management anymore. My family keeps me plenty busy, as we just married off my oldest son, my youngest is a senior in HS, and my grandson is playing 3 sports. I'm laying the groundwork for enrolling him in a hoops camp at GU next summer, weaving visits to family within the plan...Reno and Portland, to be specific.

My bold prediction, arrived at last night, is that I will be unable to attend the Zag-A&M game in two months. Our HS football team has convinced me that they will make the playoffs, the first round to commence on 11/15. Last night, we lost to perennial state champion Allen 28-21, a school of 6000 students and their well-publicized $60 million stadium. It's the school where Kyler Murray got his start.

Our coach is molding this team into a very special group of young men. I know he's had such a positive effect on my son through his leadership, much like Coach Few and other great builders of young men. Although these leadership qualities don't always lead to winning records, I'm very confident that we'll have a full head of steam as the season rolls along, and do well in the playoffs.

[QUOTE=Bogozags;1476050]

According to the roster, Ballo weighs 260 lbs. Sabonis weighed 231 lbs. as a freshman, Karnowski 280 lbs.

6’7" Zion Williamson entered Duke weighing 285 lbs.
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by roxdoc View Post
    ok for those of us who do not do instagram - any way to see the pic?
    Do you have Twitter? There are photos out today of the team.
    https://twitter.com/ZagMBB/status/11...291543040?s=09

The three best bigs to ever play with us, IMHO, are KO, Collings, and Domas S. They all entered the NBA at a higher level than Shem, JWIII, Sacre, Austin D. or Ronny, and continued to improve there. Other great bigs like Shem, Calvary, Harris, Batista, never sniffed the NBA.

Hi Grand Valley, actually I was talking about a third criterion: What are the best bigs ever to play for GU at the time they left, that is comparing each player's skill and value to the team in their last year in a zag uniform.
    agree on ko and sabonis, but not collins...still too raw when he left after his freshman year to be put in this group. would take junior brandon clarke this past year over freshman collins, rui too. would also take senior ronny turiaf over freshman collins. zach just couldn't stay out of foul trouble long enough to be included in this group.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBunnieRancher View Post
    Do you have Twitter? There are photos out today of the team.
    https://twitter.com/ZagMBB/status/11...291543040?s=09
    Man that’s a young crew. A lot of new faces.

This should be it's own thread but...

Of the "unkowns", which is going to take us by surprise and be amazing? Arauskas, Ballo, Zakharov, Ravet? I'm leaving Timme and Watson off this short list because for me at least, they are almost a given. So who's going to shine from the new Fantastic Four unknowns THis Year? (Reborn will pick Ravet..LOL)
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post

Of the "unkowns", which is going to take us by surprise and be amazing? Arauskas, Ballo, Zakharov, Ravet? I'm leaving Timme and Watson off this short list because for me at least, they are almost a given. So who's going to shine from the new Fantastic Four unknowns THis Year? (Reborn will pick Ravet..LOL)
    Ballo.
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post

You're right. This would be a good thread OP, Griz. . .copy and paste it . . .

Best big man will not and cannot beknows. Why? the teams that feed them and the teams surrounding them always change fro big man to big. When the teams are different, the bigs play differently. It's just unknowable. Raw skill though? Josh H. , Brandon Clarke will always come to mind...…..at least for me./