Thread: What is the Lady Zag Record in the 2019 Non-Conference Schedule

Default What is the Lady Zag Record in the 2019 Non-Conference Schedule

Good afternoon fellow Wbb posters.

Now that the Lady Zags have released their 2019 Non-Conference schedule (See Below), we can begin to speculate, postulate, debate, etc. on how we think the Lady Zags will traverse this schedule.

Given the following Non-Conference Schedule;

Nov. 2 Warner Pacific (Exhibition) Spokane, WA
    Nov. 10 Cal State Bakersfield Spokane, WA
    Nov. 14 Tennessee Martin Spokane, WA
    Nov. 17 at Stanford Palo Alto, CA
    Nov. 22 Eastern Washington Spokane, WA
    Nov. 29 vs. Dayton ! Estero, FL
    Nov. 30 TBD ! Estero, FL
    Dec. 1 TBD ! Estero, FL
    Dec. 5 at Montana State Bozeman, MT
    Dec. 8 at Washington State Pullman, WA
    Dec. 14 vs. Texas Southern Spokane, WA
    Dec. 17 at Wyoming Laramie, WY
    Dec. 20 vs. Missouri State Spokane, WA

What do you think the Lady Zags overall record will be coming out of the non-conference schedule and who (if any) do you think they will lose to?

What say you fellow posters?

ZagDad

The only loss will be at Stanford since we are playing there. Dayton could be tough but I thiink we will get themand whomever else we get in the tournament.

Thanks Zag65.

According to ESPN's "Way To Early Top 25", Charlie Crème has Stanford as the #4 team in the country. Going to be tough to beat the Cardinal down on the farm. Lots of good teams in the Gulf Coast Showcase, however, Arizona State is the only team in the Gulf Coast Showcase currently ranked in the "Way To Early Top 25" at # 17. Auburn is listed as also considered (ie receiving votes). If the Lady Zags can continue to win in the Gulf Coast Showcase, they could have the opportunity to play Dayton, Auburn and Arizona State. If you win, you will have an opportunity to move into the Top 25. If you do not win the Gulf Coast Showcase, IMO it is going to be an uphill climb to get back into the top 25, me thinks.

Call out to the Pac-12 as they have 3 teams in the Top 6 (Oregon #1, Stanford #4 and Oregon State #6), 4 teams in the Top 12 (UCLA #12) and 5 in the Top 17 (Arizona State #17).

As expected, mid-majors are few and far between in the "Way To Early Top 25" with Depaul at #18 and Rice at #24 as the only mid-majors included on the early list. No other mid-majors even were considered.

"Way To Early Top 25" Link: https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...eseason-top-25

ZagDad

I’m going to go with 9-3 with loses to Stanford, one in the Thanksgiving tournament and a loss on the road.

As good as this team will become, there is a lot of youth coming in off the bench that will take time.

ZD... you brought up the mid-majors... if GU keeps playing a mid-major schedule, well.. maybe Kelly was right that that’s all the farther GU is capable of going. Until GU starts scheduling better teams... top 25’s will be hard to earn.

Go Zags!!

I think the lady zags took a big step forward last year with their only loses being to Top-10 teams ND and Oregon State and the 3 loses to BYU. I will give the Zag coaches at least 50% of the fault for the two regular season loses to BYU and of course the two major injuries leading to the 3rd loss to BYU.

So where is the big step forward? The lady zags did not lose a game where they were clearly the better team. The Lady Zags played ND as tough as anybody had played ND outside of the Top 10 teams. The games against BYU, Arkansas-Little Rock and Oregon State down our starting point guard and super-sub, were efforts worthy of the best lady zag teams of all time. The leadership shown by the upperclassman last year was fantastic. I think the leadership of the 2019/2020 team from JL, KC, JT and even MK may be better this year than last year. As Skip noted above, with the lack of P5 opponents on the schedule this year, the lady zags have little room for error and will need this kind of leadership from the upperclassman. They cannot afford a loss to a team that is inferior to the lady zags.

This 2019/2020 season is CLF's 6th season. In her five previous seasons, her Out Of Conference (OOC) record for each season is as follows:

2014/2015 = 7-4, 2015/2016 = 8-4, 2016/2017 = 9-2, 2017/2018 = 7-4, 2018/2019 = 11-1

I think that this year's team has the "potential" to be better than last year's team. I think we will see major steps forward by MK and LF with smaller improvements by JT and the Wirths. Losing ZR is tough, but we counter that with much more height and depth. I think JT is an improvement over Chandler (as a starter) and KG will be an improvement in size, rebounding and scoring capability. I see no drop off from LS to JL, the difference will be how fast the Truong twins develop and how many minutes we can have them in to sub for JL and KC. I would guess that this team will be even more of a team, with the scoring distributed over even more people than last year.

That being said, how are we going to do?

I agree with Zag65 and Skip, that facing Stanford in the 3rd game of the season on the farm is likely asking a little too much. Playing in a holiday tournament 3 time zones away is always very difficult. Thankfully, we are starting with Dayton, a good team, but not an Arizona State or Auburn, so we have a good chance to win that first game. If we win the first game we have a chance to run the table and I think that is what we will do. Hopefully playing Auburn in round 2 and Arizona State in the championship game. IMO the lady zags should win all of their home games in the OOC schedule this year. Montana State in Bozeman should not be a problem. I think the lady zags are the better team but WSU could be difficult just because it is in Pullman and they want some measure of revenge for the last couple of years. The other catch game is Wyoming in Laramie. Wyoming had a very good team last year, they have several of their main players coming back and playing at over 7,000 feet will sap the strength out of the legs of the lady zags.

My guess is the lady zags will 10-2 with a loss to Stanford and a loss to either WSU or Wyoming.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    My guess is the lady zags will 10-2 with a loss to Stanford and a loss to either WSU or Wyoming. ZagDad
    I was thinking the same thing...

Go Las Zagas!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    I’m going to go with 9-3 with loses to Stanford, one in the Thanksgiving tournament and a loss on the road.

As good as this team will become, there is a lot of youth coming in off the bench that will take time.
    I agree with this.