Thread: FYI for all those heading to Bahamas for Zags Cat 5 Hurricane Dorian Pounding it

Default FYI for all those heading to Bahamas for Zags Cat 5 Hurricane Dorian Pounding it

Still months away a heads up for those heading to Bahamas might check reservations and damage from Dorian.

Catastrophic Category 5 Hurricane Dorian made landfall in Elbow Cay in The Bahamas at 12:40 pm EDT Sunday with 185 mph winds, gusting to 220 mph, making it the strongest landfalling Atlantic hurricane on record. In the 8-hour period ending at 12:45 pm EDT Sunday, Dorian put on a rare show of rapid intensification—its already-formidable 150 mph winds increased to 185 mph, and the central pressure dropped from 934 to 911 mb.

The Atlantis resort is quite a ways south of the hurricane path. I doubt it will factor into the tournament.

Doesn't help the people north of it at all, but still.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    The Atlantis resort is quite a ways south of the hurricane path. I doubt it will factor into the tournament.

Doesn't help the people north of it at all, but still.
    Paradise Island is 88.235 miles south of Abaco.
    Parlez-vous français?

Google is your friend...

https://www.atlantisbahamas.com/weather-information

UPDATE FROM THE PRESIDENT AND MANAGING DIRECTOR OF ATLANTIS PARADISE ISLAND | 5:00 PM ET | Sunday, September 1, 2019

We are thankful for the outpouring of support from our friends and families during Hurricane Dorian. We are grateful that Atlantis Paradise Island and Nassau were not impacted by the storm. Our guests, the marine animals in our care and our team members are all safe and secure. Please join us in sending thoughts and prayers to our Bahamian family in the Abacos, Grand Bahama and other areas in Hurricane Dorian’s path where they are experiencing devasting life-threatening conditions. We are preparing hurricane relief efforts in the coming days after the storm and will let you know how you can help. #BahamasAtHeart #HurricaneDorian #BahamasStrong
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Anyone else planning on going to this tournament?

You would be surprised by the number of cruise ship passengers that believe Freeport and Nassau are on opposite sides of the same island.

When the hurricane hits Freeport it will be about 50miles away from me, it will be 100 plus miles to the south away from Paradise Island where Atlantis is. Paridise Island wont have any damage from this hurricane.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    When the hurricane hits Freeport it will be about 50miles away from me, it will be 100 plus miles to the south away from Paradise Island where Atlantis is. Paridise Island wont have any damage from this hurricane.
    Please be careful, and good luck, thinking of you.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Alum08 View Post
    You would be surprised by the number of cruise ship passengers that believe Freeport and Nassau are on opposite sides of the same island.
    There are some in this country that will deny that Canada has a 4th of July too!

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Please be careful, and good luck, thinking of you.
    Thank you! Looks like here in south Florida we may get lucky with this one. Unfortunately the Northern Bahamas can't say the same. We will pray for them!

On a lighter note,
    Go ZAGS!

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    I am seeing reports of Freeport getting hit hard and hoping you and yours are doing ok.
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Default Going to Battle 4 Atlantis ??

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    Anyone else planning on going to this tournament?
    I am planning to go (from Atlanta). Going to check on game ticket availability this week...
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

From trip advisor site

Atlantis fared well in Dorian. We were only slightly affected by Dorian in New Providence and Paradise Island. We got mostly some wind and rain and will likely see some storm surges and flooding in the next few days.

However, our northern islands did not fare so well. Abaco has been devastated, with much damage yet to be fully assessed. NEMA will do so when they are able to get out to see. And Grand Bahama is still very much in the throes of Dorian, so we won't know anything for at least 24 hours or so. There will be much rebuilding to be done, so the people of the Bahamaswill be looking to our neighbours and friends for assitance as we rebuild.