Thread: PATIENCE Was that a warning

Default PATIENCE Was that a warning

I just finished reading about the coaches view of the team. Few seems to be telling us what he is telling his players and coaches. Be patient. It kind of hit me as a signaling to not get the kind of expectations that I might normally have about the team at this time of year. I've always felt that this is a pretty new and inexperienced team, which was confirmed by the early scheduling and now by Mark Few's call for patience. I think Few is telling us that this team is not like previous teams we've come to get used to lately. You know! Teams that do really well at the beginning of the year. I think Few is warning us to not be surprised if the Zags lose some games early on. Like in the tournament in the Bahamas. I'm wondering what you think? Thanks for your ideas.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

It’s a warning that this season is going to be like 2016. Start slow end up great
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

I completely agree that we will need to be patient with this team. There are SO many new pieces that will take some time to gel. The talent is there but familiarity with each other and understanding Few’s offense will take some time. There is only so much that can be taught in practice. The guys will need some games under their belt before they gel as a team and fully comprehend the offense. I’m still confident that our front court is strong and deep enough to keep us competitive in any game. The backcourt is a real mystery. There will be moments where we will scream at the TV in anger and others where we will rewind it over and over again to watch the awesomeness in marvel.
    In the end patience will be rewarded in March.
    GO ZAGS

Few and company have reached a point where the program is expected to be a top ten team every year. Like it or not, the success of Gonzaga basketball has placed a burden on these young men to perform at a level that may not be realistic. The consistent runs in March have spoiled the fanbase that now demands 25-30 win seasons and a second weekend appearance in the tournament.

I believe what Few is trying to do is reduce the stress on his players by letting the fans know there is a distinct possibility of a couple of speedbumps early on.

All of this comes with the territory of sustained excellence. This is yet another step up the ladder for the Zag program. They will be seeing more and more kids leaving early and will have to adjust to those conditions. Teaching will have to be compressed into smaller timeframes to get new faces up to speed. Kids will have to take leadership roles earlier in their college careers than before and will have to embrace the tradition of the program with less help from players that have been there for three years or more.

No need to doubt Few at this point. He has risen to the challenge every time. This particular bunch might be a bit slow out of the gates but I don't expect them to struggle long. The talent appears to be there and Few doesn't recruit dummies. It will be fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Few and company have reached a point where the program is expected to be a top ten team every year. Like it or not, the success of Gonzaga basketball has placed a burden on these young men to perform at a level that may not be realistic. The consistent runs in March have spoiled the fanbase that now demands 25-30 win seasons and a second weekend appearance in the tournament.

I believe what Few is trying to do is reduce the stress on his players by letting the fans know there is a distinct possibility of a couple of speedbumps early on.

All of this comes with the territory of sustained excellence. This is yet another step up the ladder for the Zag program. They will be seeing more and more kids leaving early and will have to adjust to those conditions. Teaching will have to be compressed into smaller timeframes to get new faces up to speed. Kids will have to take leadership roles earlier in their college careers than before and will have to embrace the tradition of the program with less help from players that have been there for three years or more.

No need to doubt Few at this point. He has risen to the challenge every time. This particular bunch might be a bit slow out of the gates but I don't expect them to struggle long. The talent appears to be there and Few doesn't recruit dummies. It will be fun to watch.
    super post, checks off the boxes nicely

fun to watch

One of the most important factors in GU's consistent success has been experienced players and the savvy they bring to the game. It is also the reason KS, Duke, KY, VA and other blue bloods have great fluctuation in their number of tournament wins from year to year. Top ranked recruits (one and done) is the reason for their great years and their down years. As GU recruiting success increases the average age and experience of players will decrease. This phenomenon is new to GU. Coach K said after we beat them in Maui that GU was ahead of where his team was at that early point in the season. He had 3 top 10 draft picks on that team and we beat them because we had more experienced (and very talented) players. GU players had significantly more years of experience than the Duke team and it showed. No doubt Few and company will have his team in top form by WCC tournament time, but GU success may be increasingly more fraught with the same perils all young blue blood teams face. It makes me feel nervous, but at the same time really excited to able to watch these talented young players in action. It's a great privilege to spend 5 months out of every year watching GU games and attending GU events. It's incredible that the quality of the experience just keeps getting better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    One of the most important factors in GU's consistent success has been experienced players and the savvy they bring to the game. It is also the reason KS, Duke, KY, VA and other blue bloods have great fluctuation in their number of tournament wins from year to year. Top ranked recruits (one and done) is the reason for their great years and their down years. As GU recruiting success increases the average age and experience of players will decrease. This phenomenon is new to GU. Coach K said after we beat them in Maui that GU was ahead of where his team was at that early point in the season. He had 3 top 10 draft picks on that team and we beat them because we had more experienced (and very talented) players. GU players had significantly more years of experience than the Duke team and it showed. No doubt Few and company will have his team in top form by WCC tournament time, but GU success may be increasingly more fraught with the same perils all young blue blood teams face. It makes me feel nervous, but at the same time really excited to able to watch these talented young players in action. It's a great privilege to spend 5 months out of every year watching GU games and attending GU events. It's incredible that the quality of the experience just keeps getting better and better.
    The only problem with that is GU is the one (unlike Duke, UNC, KY etc) has to win marquee games at the beginning of the year, and if they don't, they have put themselves in a position where they might just have to win 3 in a row in Las Vegas.

That makes it tough.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    The only problem with that is GU is the one (unlike Duke, UNC, KY etc) has to win marquee games at the beginning of the year, and if they don't, they have put themselves in a position where they might just have to win 3 in a row in Las Vegas.

That makes it tough.
    They only have to win 3 in a row in Vegas if they finish outside the top two in the reg season, otherwise it's two games in Vegas.

I thought about the word patience all day, and thought about Mark Few telling us we need to be patient. Gosh! Deep inside I knew he was right. I have never been so impatient in all my life....You know. To see our guys suited up and tearing it. The summer has drug on so slowly. And when I heard Few's plea for patience I think I finally got it inside what it means. He's telling us to be patient because it's only the last day of August, and we have two months before we'll see these guys we all love in action in a Zag uni. He is so right. I've been feeling so impatient because I really love this team. This is the kind of team I've been waiting for. And yes I want to see them play. And yes I don't know much about 'em. But I know one thing. They are Zags!!! And we all know what that means.

Few is out there teaching them all what that means. Tillie, Kispert and Ayayi are showing them what it means. It's all about coming together as a TEAM, Losing the egos. I guess I will try as hard as I can because I do want to be patient. And I know Few is telling his players to be patient because I know they all want to put that uni on, and bust out those doors to the locker room and hit the floor to 6000 crazy Zag fans. They want to play for us as much as we want to play for them. And they are hot and sweaty too. But it's not too long. It will come soon enough. It's going to be an exciting, awesome year. Be patient my friends. We'll be seeing them soon enough. Until then. Watch some Seahawks games. hahaha

Go Zags!!!

Been lovin' your posts on this topic, Reborn. Keep it up!
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

It's whenever we have a point guard that hasn't been with the team for 2+ years. It's fine. We're fine.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

I'm basically thinking of this year as just the intro to '20-'21.

Patience is a virtue

Not having much patience as a younger human I have a bit more now. Looking before one leaps has verifiable value. Anywho, for the team, ya just don't get good until you've got some 'chemistry'. Chemistry takes time as you've got to get to know one another first. I hate it when the Zags turnover the ball. I suppose I'm going to have to grit my teeth on TOs early in the season as the team learns how best to mesh. Another thing that tends to get me steaming is player tentativeness on the court. I may have to watch early Zags games with tongue firmly between teeth.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Patience is a virtue

Not having much patience as a younger human I have a bit more now. Looking before one leaps has verifiable value. Anywho, for the team, ya just don't get good until you've got some 'chemistry'. Chemistry takes time as you've got to get to know one another first. I hate it when the Zags turnover the ball. I suppose I'm going to have to grit my teeth on TOs early in the season as the team learns how best to mesh. Another thing that tends to get me steaming is player tentativeness on the court. I may have to watch early Zags games with tongue firmly between teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I'm basically thinking of this year as just the intro to '20-'21.
    Yeah I've been thinking this for quite a while as well - if they land Suggs (with Kessler as a bonus) then the '20-'21 team is probably going to be the odds-on favorite at the beginning of the year to win the natty.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Patience is a virtue

Another thing that tends to get me steaming is player tentativeness on the court. I may have to watch early Zags games with tongue firmly between teeth.
    I don't think you'll have to worry about tentativeness on the court this year. Not with these players. From the videos that I've watched of this group of incoming players, tentativeness is not in their vocabulary/ For instance Timme is called "dog." And I think he's the kind of dog that might rip your leg off. Like a German Shepherd. Ballo is certainly a FORCE as destructive as a hurricane. Our guards are hungry and want to attack constantly. All of them. And I'll promise, the kid from Kittitas is not afraid to put it up anywhere after he crosses half-court.

There could be turnovers early on in the season. You are right about cohesiveness. It takes time to develop. It's a process. However, I believe we do have guards who can handle the ball; so it's possible there won't be too many turnovers.

Patience, remember that games start November 5 which is supposed to be the earliest start they have had followed by 5 more by the 23rd of November. That's 6 games in 19 days to get this team up to speed compared to 6 games in the entire month of December. Once the season gets rolling, we will get to know this team fast and furious. The competition won't be as stiff to start with the first two weeks but they will get a chance to establish rolls before the Battle of Atlantis where we stand a chance of losing two games in a tournament for the first time in forever. November is going to be a whirlwind. And then the real fun begins in December.

"And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Has Woolridge practiced with the team yet?

Now that classes have started, I think he can practice with the team.

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    Now that classes have started, I think he can practice with the team.

There's been a question as to if he has been cleared health wise.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    There's been a question as to if he has been cleared health wise.
    Yes, that was my understanding as well. We need our guards to get as many reps together as possible.