Thread: OT: Recruiting stories and college football: 'Hard to beat the cheaters'

Default OT: Recruiting stories and college football: 'Hard to beat the cheaters'

it's college football and Harbaugh's Michigan, but a similar theme on recruiting, whatever your taste for him and them, teaser below.

In Few I Trust, and thank for his leadership by example to all coaches.

Mods, please move or whatever. Summer still so shared it here. Thank you

Where does that leave the coaches and players who aren't cheating? On the outside looking in, trying to do it the hard way, and getting no credit for it from the NCAA or the media. In this bizarre world where the guilty are praised and the innocent are punished, perhaps the biggest surprise is that some coaches still try to play by the rules anyway, and some players turn down illicit money to play for them. But how doubly delicious it is when an honest program actually beats the cheaters.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...cid=spartanntp

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    it's college football and Harbaugh's Michigan, but a similar theme on recruiting, whatever your taste for him and them, teaser below.

In Few I Trust, and thank for his leadership by example to all coaches.

Mods, please move or whatever. Summer still so shared it here. Thank you

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...cid=spartanntp
    GREAT article...I hope UM beats OSU so he won't get fired...character is tops in my book!

Oh, my wife is a UM grad too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    GREAT article...I hope UM beats OSU so he won't get fired...character is tops in my book!

Oh, my wife is a UM grad too!
    Having been down here a while, the comment is being taken as far more a shot across Alabama and Clemson's bow than at OSU.

Not positive that is correct, but that's the takeaway.

Not sure why anyone would think that Alabama and Clemson are spiffy clean, but I am not going to assume Michigan is, either.

Alabama and Clemson are so far and away ahead of the rest right now, one has to consider the possibility they are doing something completely different.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

The cheating is weathy boosters, third parties who are unaffiliated to the university and who the university can claim immunity from, giving cash and other benefits to players, family members etc. Tough to crack down on unless players or their friends are willing to go on record and turn on the hand that feeds them orr the NCAA is going to investigate every player.

College sports are basically ripe for corruption until the players can start getting paid or profiting off their own endorsements to make the extra $10,000 to $100,000 they get under the table inconsequential and not worth the risk.

The $1,000,000 internship given to that one player who decommitted from Syracuse to play G League shows how much some companies would pay these players but for the NCAA rules. The FBI investigations turned into a lot about nothing. I agree the cheating needs to stop and that it's unfair but the system is so ripe for cheating that the point of the article is right.... It's tough to compete otherwise. Gonzaga of course is the shining example of what's possible by doing the right thing but there are so few Gonzagas out there.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    The cheating is weathy boosters, third parties who are unaffiliated to the university and who the university can claim immunity from, giving cash and other benefits to players, family members etc.
    I guy who used to go to the gym where I'm a member was a running back at Notre Dame from 1971-75 and played on a national champ. We'd talk pretty regularly. He once told me the "hundred dollar handshake" with boosters was customary after a game. (And for the younger folks, gas was 30 cents a gallon then, an average new car around 3-4k, and a decent house could be bought in a lot of places for 15-20k or so. So that would be more like a thousand dollar handshake today/)

Michigan hasn’t always been the cleanest athletic department.

Several Michigan basketball players were implicated over the next few years and by 1999 some were called before a federal grand jury. Four eventual professional basketball players—Chris Webber, Maurice Taylor, Robert Traylor and Louis Bullock—were discovered to have borrowed a total of $616,000 from Martin.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univ...etball_scandal
    “There is no premium content on the GUBoards. We get what we pay for.”
    Pope John XXIII in his remarks to the College of Cardinals
    -12-21-2012
    -