Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 MBB Schedule Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I can think of 2 teams that traditionally go P5 all non-conference... LBSU and Texas So, but they're in a little different circumstances than GU.
    Texas southern has 4 as well... 5 if you include Gonzaga. SBSU hasn't released if full schedule yet but they have 4 (very weak P5).... 5 if you count Saint Mary's (who is there strongest opponent so far). I Obviously didn't look up all the schools non conference schedules so im sure you could find a couple but its a solid rule of thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying that, re first sentence above. Half a dozen quality nonconf opponents seems ok for a team w/ limited experience together; I think last year it was 8 or 9? Someone on SMC's board did a comp of our sched w/ theirs based on last yr's final kenpom rankings. The Zags play 7 teams ranked 195 or lower last yr; SMC plays 3. Writer jokingly complained about Zags schedule bringing down SMC's rpi. Maybe it's unavoidable as Dixie suggests it might be, but it's a legit issue that jazz brings up imo.

As to comparing w/ Duke's nonconference sched, power 5 teams +BE only need a few tough early games to sharpen them. They don't need them for seeding purposes like GU does, so it's apples to oranges. Hence the usual inverted schedule.
    Someone should have told him that RPI was a arbitrary metric last year. I think there are people questioning the strength of the non-conference schedule which they shouldn't because not only is it fantastic, but we will see how well GU can handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    Someone should have told him that RPI was a arbitrary metric last year.
    As I said, it was said jokingly, i.e. tongue in cheek because of all the past complaints on this board about SMC not scheduling hard enough in the nonconf. SMC fans seem to be pretty acutely aware of metrics, being on the bubble virtually every year.

I disagree I think it is a incredibly ridiculous argument which is one of the reasons Jazz is probably making it. There is not a team out there that will schedule P5 teams back to back all non-conference long. The fact of the matter is we play in the conference we are in and we pretty much have to win it outright to get a top seed. Scheduling a absurdly difficult non-conference schedule won't mean #### if we lose the games and play poorly in conference play. The non-conference schedule is to introduce gonzaga to teams with superior athletes who we will most likely face in later rounds of the tournament. In RPI that would make a difference but with the new Quadrant metric not so much.
    You completely ignored my point, or I am a poor enough writer it wasn't conveyed well.

No one said play nothing but P-5 teams over and over.

The ONLY argument that I think is even defensible is that once you play your P-5 school with a top 75 rating, perhaps load up on a softie that is about 140 on the list instead of 260-300.

It keeps the entire RPI of the schedule higher for MM.

But, as I also said, it could well be that they simply don't have the flexibility required to call the shots on a team at 140, given that they prioritized the two TV games before and after, it left them with a date to play a game with very little flexibility, they couldn't be picky.

I would bet anything that is what happened.

Framed that way, in an ideal world, there is nothing ridiculous about it. There could easily be a better way, should they have complete freedom, but it isn't ridiculous.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I think the zags should schedule 3-4 nonconference cupcakes and the rest should be P5, MW, or BE teams of varying difficulty. I don't think that's ridiculous at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    I think the zags should schedule 3-4 nonconference cupcakes and the rest should be P5, MW, or BE teams of varying difficulty. I don't think that's ridiculous at all.
    Perfect.

Thread Retitled and Stickied for time being.

(Dec. 18 North Carolina Spokane)

The TV time for the Tar Heels game was released -- 6 pm Pacific time on ESPN2

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    (Dec. 18 North Carolina Spokane)

The TV time for the Tar Heels game was released -- 6 pm Pacific time on ESPN2
    Really hope we have some resemblance of a student section or it might be a depressingly quite game.

ESPN (finally) released the Zags TV schedule for the games they will air. It's about time!

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...n-espn-family/

Jim Meehan
    @SRJimm
    ·
    46m
    Zags have two appearances on CBS Sports Network: at Santa Clara on Jan. 30, 7:30 pm; vs. LMU on Feb. 6, 8 pm

https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-.../view?id=53716

Are they going to set up a stream for Kraziness in the kennel? I'd sure like to see some of the guys that aren't really going to play much next year play in a scrimmage.
    At the Alumni "Zag Talks" event ( think 'TED Talks' with fewer khakis) during the Q&A portion of AD Mike Roth's segment, I suggested KIK should be live streamed and made available to Zag Nation in the years to come. Mr. Roth appreciated the suggestion and indicated someone in the "social media department" seated behind me was writing it down. I have no idea if KIK will make it's way to the internet next season or not. Hard to imagine the school wouldn't have the talent and technology to pull that off.

I believe so. I'm sure the students from Seattle or other close cities will want to attend it tho. Should be interesting to see how Gonzaga deals with this problem for the dorms will be closed.
    On 10/9/19, The GU Bulletin published an article on this topic. It appears the dorms will be closed and students will have to use their wits to figure it out.

https://www.gonzagabulletin.com/news...b2a9146f4.html

Last Monday, Gonzaga’s Housing and Residence Life sent out an email alerting students that all resident halls would be closing on Dec. 14th, four days before the men’s basketball game against the University of North Carolina. While the email did offer discounted lodging at local hotels for students who wanted to stay in town for the game, many were left wondering how this situation happened in the first place.

“Basketball tends to have games well into break and we just didn’t know how deep the game would be,” said Jon Wheeler, director for Residence Life. “In the past there has been a game that has happened one or two days after we have closed the dorms and we have accommodated that, but it is just too deep into break.”

Ugh. This is frustrating. Trying to get the schedule out ASAP, but currently.....I am showing THIRTEEN games with no tv info!!!

And on top of that, I still show FIVE games with no tipoff time. I can't recall a schedule in the last 6-7 seasons with this little detail available.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

I agree Woohoo ! Glad to hear the schedule of destiny is forthcoming. Was starting to panic !

I don't understand why we have to go around to three links or more to find out what networks are showing the games. Why aren't the networks showing on the official zag schedule yet?
    HEY FOLKS THE SEASON HAS BEGUN , yes I am shouting.
    Is it a lack of funds, or technical know how?
    Do I have to go to Comcast to beg for info on which network shows when GU plays?
    grrrr says the bulldog fans arf arf

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    I don't understand why we have to go around to three links or more to find out what networks are showing the games. Why aren't the networks showing on the official zag schedule yet?
    HEY FOLKS THE SEASON HAS BEGUN , yes I am shouting.
    Is it a lack of funds, or technical know how?
    Do I have to go to Comcast to beg for info on which network shows when GU plays?
    grrrr says the bulldog fans arf arf
    Yes, it is sort of Mickey-Mouse-ish. Why can't they get with the program? But I sort of figured it out; all non-ESPN and non-CBS games will be on ROOT and KHQ. The WCC conference games that don't have tip times set yet will most likely be at 6 pm, 7 pm, or 8 pm.
    UNITED WE ZAG !!

Quote Originally Posted by All Weather Fan View Post
    I agree Woohoo ! Glad to hear the schedule of destiny is forthcoming. Was starting to panic !
    +1

The Schedule of Destiny is like a wizard, it never arrives late or early... it only arrives exactly when it means to [can].
    - Gandalf
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Yes, it is sort of Mickey-Mouse-ish. Why can't they get with the program? But I sort of figured it out; all non-ESPN and non-CBS games will be on ROOT and KHQ. The WCC conference games that don't have tip times set yet will most likely be at 6 pm, 7 pm, or 8 pm.
    Schedule has been updated, and just as I suspected, the other games are on local television (and I assume also on the WCC website).
    UNITED WE ZAG !!

They tend to add more to the ESPN's as things get going.

I wonder if we should be concerned about our annual game with UW
    their top two recruits
    #3 Stewart
    #7 McDaniels
    and our two highest recruits
    #47 Timme
    #62 Watson

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...019/order/true

don't forget our game last year was close near the end,
    however as a team they may have lost about as many crucial players as we did. Both hopkins and few have a plate full of newcomers

their top two recruits
    #3 Stewart
    #7 McDaniels
    #47 Timme
    #62 Watson

don't forget our game last year was close near the end,
    however as a team they may have lost about as many crucial players as we did. Both hopkins and few have a plate full of newcomers
    Both of those are centers or forwards. They also have 7'4" Riley Sorn, plus another 7'er. The bigs are a position that GU is strongest at, so I think it negates those somewhat. Also recruits have to perform AND they have to be on the court to have any effect. I haven't watched any UW games so don't know what their rotation looks like.

[amended to add] Looks like tomorrow is their first game and it is against Baylor, so we will see their rotation then.

Interesting in that they show 20 players on their roster, and I don't think that they can't suit up ALL of them.

I watched one of the HS playoff games last year, and thought that Watson outplayed McDaniels, so head to head I would take Watson.

It still will be a battle
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

their top two recruits
    #3 Stewart
    #7 McDaniels
    #47 Timme
    #62 Watson

Remember that the ESPN website seems to have a simple formula that drops a player's ranking by about 20 spots as soon as they sign with GU.
    Quit social media. You'll be better for it.

OT: I watched McDaniels vs Watson... You could flip a coin on who was "better". I certainly didn't see 40 places difference on some arbitrary ranking. If Watson played in NYC, Chicago or LA, he'd be ranked much higher, but since he was hidden up in the inland NW, (much like Morrison) his "ranking/rating" suffers simply because not as many eyeballs saw him.

I definitely think UW will be a good test. Having Green immediately eligible will make them tougher, plus that zone is always difficult to play against.