Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 MBB Schedule Discussion Thread

Default 2019-20 MBB Schedule Discussion Thread

With just 71 days till the start of the basketball season Gonzaga still has several games to schedule. With lots of teams having there schedule done, Where is Gonzaga's Non-Conference Schedule? Will Gonzaga add any more games against quad 1 teams for next season? Below is a link to the incomplete non-conference schedule. The 10 day stretch between December 8 to December 18th is going to be real fun to watch.

https://zagsguru.wordpress.com/welco...zaga-schedule/

Schedule press release

https://gozags.com/news/2019/8/26/me...-schedule.aspx

2019-20 Gonzaga Men's Basketball Schedule
    Nov. 1 # Lewis-Clark State Spokane
    Nov. 5 Alabama State Spokane
    Nov. 9 Arkansas – Pine Bluff Spokane
    Nov. 12 North Dakota Spokane
    Nov. 15 Texas A&M College Station, TX
    Nov. 19 % Texas-Arlington Spokane
    Nov. 23 CSU Bakersfield Spokane
    Nov. 27-29 Battle 4 Atlantis
    Nov. 27 % Southern Mississippi Paradise Island, Bahamas
    Nov. 28 % Seton Hall/Oregon Paradise Island, Bahamas
    Nov. 29 % TBD Paradise Island, Bahamas
    Dec. 4 Texas Southern Spokane
    Dec. 8 Washington Seattle
    Dec. 14 Arizona Tucson, AZ
    Dec. 18 North Carolina Spokane
    Dec. 21 Eastern Washington Spokane
    Dec. 30 Detroit Mercy Spokane
    Jan. 2 * Portland Portland, OR
    Jan. 4 * Pepperdine Spokane
    Jan. 9 * San Diego San Diego, CA
    Jan. 11 * Loyola Marymount Los Angeles
    Jan. 16 * Santa Clara Spokane
    Jan. 18 * BYU Spokane
    Jan. 25 * Pacific Spokane
    Jan. 30 * Santa Clara Santa Clara, CA
    Feb. 1 * San Francisco San Francisco
    Feb. 6 * Loyola Marymount Spokane
    Feb. 8 * Saint Mary's Moraga, CA
    Feb. 15 * Pepperdine Malibu, CA
    Feb. 20 * San Francisco Spokane
    Feb. 22 * BYU Provo, UT
    Feb. 27 * San Diego Spokane
    Feb. 29 * Saint Mary's Spokane

March 5-12 West Coast Conference Championships
    March 5 First Round Las Vegas
    March 6 Second Round Las Vegas
    March 7 Quarterfinals Las Vegas
    March 9 Semifinals Las Vegas
    March 10 Finals Las Vegas
    Home Game
    * West Coast Conference Games
    # Exhibition
    % Battle 4 Atlantis – Paradise Island, Bahamas

https://gozags.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

What was the point of dropping the two WCC conference games if the plan is to play equally bad teams instead? No judgment here or criticism, necessarily, just wondering. I guess it means one more home game for the Zags but I always thought the reason was to try and play an even more challenging non conference schedule.

Of course none of this is official until it is published in the annual WooHoo's Schedule of Destiny. He definitely improved the quality of the publication last year by bringing on board noted graphics designer ZagPhish. He is going to have to work hard to up the ante this year.

I might recommend that he allow ample space for filling in the score after each game. I found it to be a little space constrained after I laminated it and was using a dull sharpie to write scores in. Also, leave plenty of blank spaces so we can write in games at the bottom for when the Zags make a deep post-season run!
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    What was the point of dropping the two WCC conference games if the plan is to play equally bad teams instead? No judgment here or criticism, necessarily, just wondering. I guess it means one more home game for the Zags but I always thought the reason was to try and play an even more challenging non conference schedule.
    Looks like it may be more of punish of the WCC than a benefit for GU. Choosing to play crappy teams is better than being forced to?

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    Looks like it may be more of punish of the WCC than a benefit for GU. Choosing to play crappy teams is better than being forced to?
    I do see your point! But let's not bag on the WCC, GU has fared quite well in the confrence. GU has bolted to a top 10 program in 20 years all while in the WCC! Its been a great pathway to success. I really dont see any program in the country that has had such a steady consistant rise to an elite program in the last 2 decades!! Sure the 5 -8 teams that were at the top back then are still there but GU from the (awful) WCC is right there as well. For the most part aside from a tournament here and there on odd years GU for a couple of months only plays WCC competition leading up to the NCAA tourament and thats has gone pretty well! Ill take St Marys, BYU or maybe even San Francisco year after year as tough competition. Remember when GU couldn't get anyone to play them except on the road, thats what theese teams deal with.
    If our cofrence played football on a high national level the confrence would have a totally diffrent media look! Yet the BBall would be the same just bigger( more familiar)names so it would seem better.

Looks like Few is taking a page from some other power conference teams for the benefit of his young squad by staying mostly in Washington and playing winnable games with a few big games sprinkled in for the tournament committee.

Rough year for the season ticket holders outside of the UNC game (which is obviously a huge get and will be a blast). I guess EWU has some local appeal at least but not much that looks even remotely competitive in the non-conference home schedule. At least there should be a lot of free tacos...

Gonzaga’s 15 nonconference games include nine home dates, North Carolina on Dec. 18

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ude-nine-home/

With young, unproven team I get it, but as a season ticket holder = ouch.
    Texas Southern at Pine Bluff Mercy State could aggregate a team and we’d be favored by 15.

This would have been a good year to take a home again against WSU and give up an away return game at WSU next year.

Those games on 11/15 and 11/19 are fraught with peril. Our team won't be on the same page by then, A&M has a new coach, UT Arlington is more competitive...can't sleep on either team.

Losing away to TAMU, UDub and Zona — not terribly unlikely — would imperil an at large, particularly w a loss to UNC. Treacherous schedule.

Will the students be gone for break December 18?

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Will the students be gone for break December 18?
    I believe so. I'm sure the students from Seattle or other close cities will want to attend it tho. Should be interesting to see how Gonzaga deals with this problem for the dorms will be closed.

Students are gone from 12/16 through 1/13. Three home games currently scheduled during student break with potentially two more to be scheduled during break.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Losing away to TAMU, UDub and Zona — not terribly unlikely — would imperil an at large, particularly w a loss to UNC. Treacherous schedule.
    A little too likely given our youth.

The schedule itself isn't the problem, the schedule is damn challenging. It is just that all but one of those challenges is outside the Kennel, and the 3 you note, true away games.

Yeah, we shouldn't assume anything this year.

They need to win 2 out of the four among UNC at home, TAMU, UW and UA. Tough.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Of course none of this is official until it is published in the annual WooHoo's Schedule of Destiny. He definitely improved the quality of the publication last year by bringing on board noted graphics designer ZagPhish. He is going to have to work hard to up the ante this year.

I might recommend that he allow ample space for filling in the score after each game. I found it to be a little space constrained after I laminated it and was using a dull sharpie to write scores in. Also, leave plenty of blank spaces so we can write in games at the bottom for when the Zags make a deep post-season run!

And good suggestion on the spacing for scores/game notes. I make notes after games myself (higher scorers and whatnot), and often run out of room. I'll confer with Mr. Phish and see if we can do something about that!
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

This is a great schedule to me, and if I had season tickets I'd be ecstatic. Why? It's obvious. I'd get to see North Carolina play the Zags in K2. This is the greatest game ever played at Gonzaga. A close second would be the Michigan State game. Anyone complaining about the home schedule this year, imo is totally self-centered. Be grateful, fans.

This is a young team this year, although very talented. Because of this they will need some easier games to prepare for a very tough schedule beginning at the end of November and will continue to Conference Play at the beginning of the new year. I don't think anyone, and especially Mark Few, wants to have our team come out of the gates and lose a couple of games early in the season. This schedule will allow the team to gain confidence as the approach the tournament in the Bahamas. It does take time to build chemistry and cohesiveness on the court. We've got to remember that we have new players trying to learn offensive and defensive systems that are complex. I agree with Jazz. This year's schedule is PLENTY tough enough.

Go Zags!!!
    Last edited by Reborn; 08-27-2019 at 04:04 PM.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

The trouble with this schedule is that GU is playing 3 SWAC teams. I realize is it's a great way to make money (Alabama State, Texas Southern, Arkansas Pine Bluff), but it is absolutely brutal on your schedule rating as the SWAC is nearly always the worst rated conference in D-1 basketball. Not because the teams are the worst in the country, but because the teams start off their season with 13 straight road games.

By today's standards, this isn't really a young team; quite the contrary. The likely starting lineup to begin the year consists of 3 seniors in the transfer guards and Tillie, a junior returning starter in Kispert, and a soph who played well in some big games (Duke) in Petrusev. And imo at least 3 of the freshmen (Timme, Watson, Ravet) are high IQ guys who will be productive quickly. And a freshman or two could conceivably beat out a veteran.

Without looking at a lot of rosters, I'd guess the Zags put out one of the more veteran lineups among top tier teams.

I believe he meant to say --a team that is new at playing together along with many newer guys -- with 6 that have never played D1 ball and 2 more new transfers -- going to be a ton of new faces trying to get used to the Zag system-- with the majority of them hoping to get lots of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    I believe he meant to say --a team that is new at playing together along with many newer guys -- with 6 that have never played D1 ball and 2 more new transfers -- going to be a ton of new faces trying to get used to the Zag system
    Yes, but that's true of almost every team with a lot of talent these days; having a lot of new faces each year seems to be the rule, not the exception. Most of the good teams the Zags play will be in a similar mode, so it's not really a disadvantage imo

Yeah, North Carolina, Washington and Arizona all lost most of their major contributors from last year. All 3 will look very different this year and will be relying heavily on newcomers, just like GU. I'm not sure about Texas A&M.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Yeah, North Carolina, Washington and Arizona all lost most of their major contributors from last year. All 3 will look very different this year and will be relying heavily on newcomers, just like GU. I'm not sure about Texas A&M.
    Arizona had major contributors?