Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Redshirt question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    383

    Default Redshirt question

    Not counting medical redshirts, who was the last player that we had who redshirted, and stayed through their SR year, and was a contributor?

    Dranginis is the last one that I can think of.

    It seems to me that all of the incoming freshmen are higher rated than KD was.

    We RS KO and he had an amazing transformation, but in reality, we didn't gain an extra year from him. Perhaps it kept him from transferring, but in reality we lost him for an entire year. Could we have won the NC if Zack Norvell played as a freshman? Would the added depth have helped keep someone fresher? Even if it was only for 5-10 min a game?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    4,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Not counting medical redshirts, who was the last player that we had who redshirted, and stayed through their SR year, and was a contributor?

    Dranginis is the last one that I can think of.

    It seems to me that all of the incoming freshmen are higher rated than KD was.

    We RS KO and he had an amazing transformation, but in reality, we didn't gain an extra year from him. Perhaps it kept him from transferring, but in reality we lost him for an entire year. Could we have won the NC if Zack Norvell played as a freshman? Would the added depth have helped keep someone fresher? Even if it was only for 5-10 min a game?
    Zach Norvell had significant knee issues, which helped lead to the redshirt decision for him .... As for Dranginis ... that was recently discussed in another thread .... and yes .. Kyle WAS the last one ... Silas could have been had Josh not broken his jaw, and there's still a chance Joel will be one.
    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...35#post1473635

    Karno and Josh were 5th year Seniors due to injury .... I could be mistaken but I'm thinking Kyle Dranginis may have been the last traditional red shirt 5th year Senior ..... although there IS a chance Joel will be one.
    I believe that was also the plan with Silas Melson (who had not played prior to Perkins broken jaw) but Silas' presumptive freshman RS was abruptly halted when Josh's season ended after a few games.

    "To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Not counting medical redshirts, who was the last player that we had who redshirted, and stayed through their SR year, and was a contributor?

    Dranginis is the last one that I can think of.

    It seems to me that all of the incoming freshmen are higher rated than KD was.

    We RS KO and he had an amazing transformation, but in reality, we didn't gain an extra year from him. Perhaps it kept him from transferring, but in reality we lost him for an entire year. Could we have won the NC if Zack Norvell played as a freshman? Would the added depth have helped keep someone fresher? Even if it was only for 5-10 min a game?
    I think it speaks volumes about the staff that so many of our redshirts don't make it to senior year and end up getting drafted. I believe that if Ayayi doesn't perform this year and start getting meaningful minutes he will transfer and not make it to his senior year.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    4,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    I believe that if Ayayi doesn't perform this year and start getting meaningful minutes he will transfer and not make it to his senior year.
    Is that a gut feeling ... or rumblings you're aware of?

    "To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Is that a gut feeling ... or rumblings you're aware of?
    gut feeling... hence the I believe

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    I think it speaks volumes about the staff that so many of our redshirts don't make it to senior year and end up getting drafted. I believe that if Ayayi doesn't perform this year and start getting meaningful minutes he will transfer and not make it to his senior year.
    Ayayi would only have one year of eligibility remaining if he transferred and sat out a year; he'd need a waiver to get two years of play. Suppose he could go D2 or JC for a year.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Ayayi would only have one year of eligibility remaining if he transferred and sat out a year; he'd need a waiver to get two years of play. Suppose he could go D2 or JC for a year.
    I would imagine he goes and plays over seas if it comes to that. His goal is obviously to eventually play in the NBA.

  8. #8

    Default

    Ayayi is going to surprise alot of people this year!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    2,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    Ayayi is going to surprise alot of people this year!
    Hoping he does. This year is his best chance to earn regular rotation minutes. Rooting for him.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    Ayayi is going to surprise alot of people this year!
    I sure hope so.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •