Thread: Which school is the most underrated job in college basketball?

Default Which school is the most underrated job in college basketball?

In a poll of more than 100 head coaches, the top vote getter is ... us.

Top 4, in order: GU, Dayton, Memphis, and UW

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ge-basketball/
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Thanks SLO.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Solid list. I agree with UW - it ought to be a highly sought after job. Great location, great talent base, excellent school, for as much as I root against them.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Aside from the weather in February and, depending on where you live, parts of March, I find most the Pacific Northwest (and all things within it) to be vastly underrated in virtually every category.

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Solid list. I agree with UW - it ought to be a highly sought after job. Great location, great talent base, excellent school, for as much as I root against them.

The thing about Seattle is that it's a bandwagon town with little college basketball tradition. When the team wins, they'll fill up Hec Ed, but when they're mediocre or bad, crickets. Seattle is a Seahawk, Husky football, Mariners, and Hydroplane racing town, with Husky bb coming in about 5th in terms of fan interest, imo. And the Husky fan base is still living on the Don James football memories.

UW just spent something like 300 million (more?) on rebuilding Husky Stadium. They chose to do a $35 million facelift on old Hec Ed for basketball, while in recent years Cal, USC, and Oregon have all built new basketball arenas at a cost of 150-200m or more.

The local talent pool is a huge plus, of course, but this isn't really a college basketball town. A good coach can make any job look good; the guy before Lute Olson said it was impossible to have a good program in Tucson. IMO the 5% of respondents who called UW the most underrated job were focusing more on the positives (location, local recruiting base) than on the negatives mentioned above. I'd guess those respondents never attended a game at Hec Ed in the Bender/Lynn Nance et al years.

maynard, I've attended some UW games during both good and bad eras. Do fans of most programs across the country show up when the team is poor for an extended period of time? I'd think not.

I like Hec Ed. I hope they never demolish it to build a shiny new toy. Several schools in the Pac 12 have dusty old barns that have been refurbished numerous times. There's something to be said for some history.

Most college sports programs tend toward being either a football school or a basketball school primarily. Some of those football schools are still a fine job for a basketball coach--Ohio St., Texas, Florida, USC, Oklahoma are a few that come to mind immediately. And UW. Also as far as football on Montlake, I think enough time has gone by finally and people are excited enough about what Coach Petersen has going on to not obsess over James' legacy.