Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Paolo Banchero

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    My wife's first visit to Spokane was back in 2001. After two days on campus, she was sold at what GU had to offer. My daughter opted to stay closer to home, my oldest son took a different path, youngest son will go the CC route over the next couple of years. Big D's my last shot, and he just started third grade.

From what I heard Megan Timme, Drew's mom, fell in love with GU during their visit two years ago.
    Megan loved Gonzaga and that was a huge bonus for us! One of the main selling points to bring Drew up to Spokane.

If they are Catholic like Julian that is also a huge bonus on the recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    If they are Catholic like Julian that is also a huge bonus on the recruiting.
    Should be good for a plenary indulgence, IMO.

http://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast...t/id1478296139

First 25 minutes of episode 3 of the "Sources Say" Kentucky hoops podcast is an interview with Paolo. Speaks highly of Gonzaga’s ability to develop bigs. Seems like the Huskies are definitely in play but not a lock like many assumed. Scheduled to be at GU in a couple days on his unofficial. Said there are a bunch of schools still in it and in a perfect world he'd commit before his senior year.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    http://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast...t/id1478296139

First 25 minutes of episode 3 of the "Sources Say" Kentucky hoops podcast is an interview with Paolo. Speaks highly of Gonzaga’s ability to develop bigs. Seems like the Huskies are definitely in play but not a lock like many assumed. Scheduled to be at GU in a couple days on his unofficial. Said there are a bunch of schools still in it and in a perfect world he'd commit before his senior year.
    He is a real option for the Zags. I know the Huskies are the "favorites" but if I was a betting man I would put more on Gonzaga and UW.

It's definitely going to be tough with Duke and Kentucky. He seems a little in awe of those programs from comments and articles I've read. But we have different advantages to offer and it does feel like he's open to it.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    It's definitely going to be tough with Duke and Kentucky. He seems a little in awe of those programs from comments and articles I've read. But we have different advantages to offer and it does feel like he's open to it.
    I agree 100%. I guess I was saying I think we are in better shape than UW. Ultimately this will go through Duke and Kentucky, but we will have our shot.

If he wants to get away from home, he could pick the Zags, and he would still be able to get home quickly if he had to. He would not be able to do this if he were at duke or Kentucky. If he wants to improve during his time in college, I don't see him going to duke, if he pays any attention. When players go to duke they are no better when they leave than when got there. The Zags and Kentucky are much better at improving players after they get there. Just look at duke's so called superstars when they get to the NBA, they turn out to be average at best. I don't see him going to Washington, if he wanted to go there he would have already said so since both his parents went there. Just my Opinion, for what it is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    If he wants to get away from home, he could pick the Zags, and he would still be able to get home quickly if he had to. He would not be able to do this if he were at duke or Kentucky. If he wants to improve during his time in college, I don't see him going to duke, if he pays any attention. When players go to duke they are no better when they leave than when got there. The Zags and Kentucky are much better at improving players after they get there. Just look at duke's so called superstars when they get to the NBA, they turn out to be average at best. I don't see him going to Washington, if he wanted to go there he would have already said so since both his parents went there. Just my Opinion, for what it is worth.
    Some would say Kentucky doesn't improve players that much either. Some would say at the talent level Duke and UK is so high and usually NBA ready, that they are focusing mainly on the mental development. But kids know this already. They make some of the same decisions when picking an AAU team. Hopefully he has a trusted coach that will tell him to find a player most like yourself and see how that school did for his game. That may or may not be the Zags but that's what I hope happens.

Kentucky doesn't do much to improve the players. Considering how "damaged" KW came into GU from the lack of supervision in the weight room... tells you all you need to know. Cal is one heck of a recruiter... Xs and Os... nope... development... not so much.

If it was between Duke and Kentucky... I'd take Duke every single time.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I know there's this perception that Duke doesn't develop players, but I'm skeptical of the actual truth value of the claim.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    I know there's this perception that Duke doesn't develop players, but I'm skeptical of the actual truth value of the claim.
    Look how well they did with Grayson Allen. (tongue planted in cheek)

It would be interesting to see an analysis to see if the perception is real. It’s hard to “develop” 5-star players—they should be pretty good to start with. He hasn’t had to find diamonds in the rough for a very long time.

I would be skeptical as a true center that I would be used for anything more than cleaning up the garbage around the rim because of the track record. I’m not sure Coach K wants to use centers differently because he has had ample opportunities to do so lately and hasn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Kentucky doesn't do much to improve the players. Considering how "damaged" KW came into GU from the lack of supervision in the weight room... tells you all you need to know. Cal is one heck of a recruiter... Xs and Os... nope... development... not so much.

If it was between Duke and Kentucky... I'd take Duke every single time.

I think Cal is better at the opposite— making alpha dogs play together and defer to other alpha dogs.

I wouldn't say gonzaga is that much better than Duke or Kentucky or anyone for that matter at player development. What they are better at is finding the men that are selfless and have a true desire to get better for not only themselves but the team as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I think Cal is better at the opposite— making alpha dogs play together and defer to other alpha dogs.
    I will concede that the psychology aspect... yeah.... he is good at that too. But crunch time in a tight game... who'd you rather have coaching Cal or K?
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

With Koach at the end of a game, you get 8 against 5.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I will concede that the psychology aspect... yeah.... he is good at that too. But crunch time in a tight game... who'd you rather have coaching Cal or K?
    When I used the word “opposite” I thought that might be ambiguous. I’m mostly agreeing with you. I think he develops players from the perspective of getting his guys to defer more than they might otherwise, but don’t think he turns fringe guys into NBA prospects.

I think I’d take Koach at the end of the game.

I think there is a dichotomy at Duke. Their superstars flourish and everyone else is wasting their time there. That includes McDonald's All Americans. If you aren't one of the 2 or 3 featured guys, you are gonna rot there.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    With Koach at the end of a game, you get 8 against 5.
    LOL... more like all 40 minutes it is 8 against 5

nside The Kennel
    @InsideTheKennel
    ·
    6h
    Not your average Saturday in Spokane. Gonzaga is set to host
    @Pp_doesit
    for an unofficial visit today

Paolo (Paul-Oh)
    @Pp_doesit
    ·
    2h
    Spokane📍 🐶⬆️

At least he got here on the last nice weather day...

I hafta like the “dog up” comment

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I hafta like the “dog up” comment
    Too bad that Huskies are dogs too.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Too bad that Huskies are dogs too.
    This kid was a UW commit before he was born.

He is checking us off the list, nothing more.

Probably a fan of the program, yet wayyyy too much pressure from family, friends, & confidants to leave Seattle. Unless it was Duke or Kentucky of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    This kid was a UW commit before he was born.

He is checking us off the list, nothing more.

Probably a fan of the program, yet wayyyy too much pressure from family, friends, & confidants to leave Seattle. Unless it was Duke or Kentucky of course.
    I wouldn't write him off that quick. A guy doesn't take a unofficial and plan a official visit if he is just wasting his own time.