Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Paolo Banchero

Have no knowledge regarding Banchero's background/aspirations, but objectively I think Gonzaga has some advantages: (1) close to home, but not too close; (2) Banchero has significant familiarity/contact with GU as university and a MBB program; and (3) he's coming from O'Dea that has a distinct and passionate "brotherhood" culture that permeates its athletic program and results in long-term loyalty by alums and parents to this small, blue-collarish school. Very similar to Zag culture.

We get him on campus for a close up look at the program and add that to the success that we have had with bigs and we have a solid chance to get him in a Zag uniform-- if he takes an unoffical plus and official here it only gets better.

Earlier visit is definitely nice. I agree with CDC in that he is almost destined to be at UW... but who knows.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Earlier visit is definitely nice. I agree with CDC in that he is almost destined to be at UW... but who knows.
    Gonzaga is in a really good spot here and Paolo may end up the number 1 player in the class. Would be an epic recruit we land and we have a good shot at doing it. Honestly (my opinion only here nothing from my sources other than the interest is real), but I think we have a slight lead in this as we have put in the time and we just landed Rui, who is similar in skill set, in the lottery.

Harris also reaching out to connect with him.....

Dominick Harris ����#♂️
    @DominickHarri2
    ·
    15h
    what it do babyyyyyyyy ☺️
    @Pp_doesit

It is nice just being considered by a Seattle Area recruit for once. I can't remember the last top guy we have gotten out of Seattle. Probably Gary Bell?

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    It is nice just being considered by a Seattle Area recruit for once. I can't remember the last top guy we have gotten out of Seattle. Probably Gary Bell?
    Gary Bell was 105th ranked nationally by 247 Sports, even though he was 2nd best recruit in Washington. Paolo is in a different league. This guy isn't a "Washington recruit." He transcends that.
    GU Class of '10, MUSC Class of '14

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    Kispert??
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Harris also reaching out to connect with him.....

Dominick Harris ����#♂️
    @DominickHarri2
    ·
    15h
    what it do babyyyyyyyy ☺️
    @Pp_doesit
    Love the way our guys have really embraced repping GU.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Love the way our guys have really embraced repping GU.
    Harris, in particular, seems to be a good ambassador for GU. He's very active on other players' Twitter accounts

Bell, Kispert, Gray- all basically from the 'burbs. When we talk about city kids, I think it means Garfield/Beach/Franklin/O'Dea/Seattle Prep, or even Cleveland/Blanchet/West Seattle et al.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Bell, Kispert, Gray- all basically from the 'burbs. When we talk about city kids, I think it means Garfield/Beach/Franklin/O'Dea/Seattle Prep, or even Cleveland/Blanchet/West Seattle et al.
    are PB's parents coming for either visit? We seem to always be a hit with the folks.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    That's pretty big news. We had him on campus last summer during team camps and that's when things took off. We have a foundation laid for him, but the 5 visits include the 4 mentioned in the tweet and Kentucky. He will be hard to land.
    When I'm giving my sales pitch I always want to be the last guy in and leave the impression that lasts. One of the biggest obstacles is that people want to avoid the conflict of having to call the other interested parties. I tell them I will happily make that call for them.

Just hope he last till our visit and gets to see the kennel in all its glory.

The unofficial visit layered with the official visit is the point that many folks are missing here.

If GU wasn't being taken seriously, I think the visits would have been limited to one.

GU make sense if he wants his friends and family to have access to his games, play on a team that has become a habitual final four contender, and join a program that has recent success getting underclassmen drafted in the NBA first round.
    I miss Mike Hart

Is there anything significant occurring on campus September 7-8 or is it just out of convenience?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagZombie View Post
    Is there anything significant occurring on campus September 7-8 or is it just out of convenience?
    Student will be back on campus... but in terms of basketball operation I don't believe so.

Totally forgot Perry had committed. That kid is a stud!

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Totally forgot Perry had committed. That kid is a stud!
    He reminds me alot of Elias Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    He reminds me alot of Elias Harris.
    Reminds me of Brandon Clarke

The thread needs a highlight reel. Again, its a highlight reel, but he looks smooth and around the ball a lot. Has a smooth stroke and was always in the action or under the basket. Would be a great addition if we can get him to commit.

https://youtu.be/B3jDEmI3giI

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    The unofficial visit layered with the official visit is the point that many folks are missing here.

If GU wasn't being taken seriously, I think the visits would have been limited to one.

GU make sense if he wants his friends and family to have access to his games, play on a team that has become a habitual final four contender, and join a program that has recent success getting underclassmen drafted in the NBA first round.
    I like the phrase 'habitual final four contender' and realize contender can refer to potential,
    however the zags have had one trip to the Final Four in 20 years, in fact in history.
    Over here in Seattle, that phrase would be challenged rather than accepted ...

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    I like the phrase 'habitual final four contender' and realize contender can refer to potential,
    however the zags have had one trip to the Final Four in 20 years, in fact in history.
    Over here in Seattle, that phrase would be challenged rather than accepted ...
    Can’t be a final four contender unless you make the dance
    Making the dance 20 years in row makes you a habitual contender in my book
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    are PB's parents coming for either visit? We seem to always be a hit with the folks.
    Especially the moms.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Especially the moms.
    My wife's first visit to Spokane was back in 2001. After two days on campus, she was sold at what GU had to offer. My daughter opted to stay closer to home, my oldest son took a different path, youngest son will go the CC route over the next couple of years. Big D's my last shot, and he just started third grade.

From what I heard Megan Timme, Drew's mom, fell in love with GU during their visit two years ago.