Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Paolo Banchero

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Many??? How many have left early?

Good point Shooter. I worded that poorly.

It is common that once the player is done with their final season of eligibility (or decide to leave early for the pro ranks) that they are out the door before the semester/quarter is over; off to train or participate in workouts/combines. Schoolwork not complete.

I'm unable to find any graduation lists online and my memory is failing me but as I recall there were 2 former players that walked with my son's class in 2006 (Quentin Hall?) & a couple more in my daughter's class the following year.

It dawns on me that with the advancement in technology it may not be as difficult as it once was to complete the schoolwork in a more timely fashion, so my observation may no longer apply.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Frahm and Morrison come to mind. I’m not sure about any others.
    Rui.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Frahm and Morrison come to mind. I’m not sure about any others.
    Frahm didn’t leave early. Not sure when he walked for graduation, but he played four seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Many??? How many have left early?
    I remember: (06) Morrison; (10?) Daye, (13) KO; (16) DS; (17) Collins; and (19) BC, Rui and Zach
    Last edited by Bogozags; 04-19-2020 at 06:17 AM.

(17) NWG --left early --not sure if/when he walked --but he did sit out a year --so he should have graduated.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    (17) NWG --left early --not sure if/when he walked --but he did sit out a year --so he should have graduated.
    NWG was a stud student. I believe he got his degree early. Academic All American.

NWG was a stud college basketball player. Has his degree in that field.

NWG is a stud human being. He could be a professor in that area of expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    NWG was a stud student. I believe he got his degree early. Academic All American.

NWG was a stud college basketball player. Has his degree in that field.

NWG is a stud human being. He could be a professor in that area of expertise.
    Did he finish a grad degree while he was here? Pretty sure he at least started one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    THANKS...Yes, you're absolutely correct...don't know how I forgot about him...

Default Paul Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I remember: (06) Morrison; (10?) Daye, (13) KO; (16) DS; (17) Collins; and (19) BC, Rui and Zach
    Old Aussie Paul Rogers in ‘97 left early. I think he was first Zag to Laker.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle dixon View Post
    Old Aussie Paul Rogers in ‘97 left early. I think he was first Zag to Laker.
    I think he played one year at North Idaho and then three years for GU.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    I think he played one year at North Idaho and then three years for GU.
    Don't think so. IIRC, Paul left a year early due to an illness in the family (Dad?). Needed the financial help. Anyone remember it that way?

https://twitter.com/ZagCaldwell/stat...962447874?s=20

Just FYI Paolo will be releasing his top 6 schools here in a few days. All indications are pointing to Gonzaga being on that list... The other 5 will most likely be Kentucky, Tennessee, Washington, Duke, and Arizona (or UNC but hearing more Arizona lately). GU/UK/UT favorites

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag19 View Post
    https://twitter.com/ZagCaldwell/stat...962447874?s=20

Just FYI Paolo will be releasing his top 6 schools here in a few days. All indications are pointing to Gonzaga being on that list... The other 5 will most likely be Kentucky, Tennessee, Washington, Duke, and Arizona (or UNC but hearing more Arizona lately). GU/UK/UT favorites
    Okay now this is different I came in here to post and my tweet is already posted.

Arizona gaining some traction?

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Okay now this is different I came in here to post and my tweet is already posted.
    You have entered the twilight zone

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Hah, our detectives are so good they're now following you on twitter!
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Are Banchero and Kennedy Chandler still linked together?

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....olo-banchero-2

Lots of good stuff in here. Paolo mentions taking an official to UW next year and how that could mean only an unofficial to GU. Says as of now he thinks he would lean toward college and the benefits of playing on TV and in the NCAA tournament over the G league. Breaks down his top 6 in pretty good detail. Says he talks to Kennedy Chandler almost every day and playing together remains an option there--seems to me that Tennessee and Kentucky would like the sound of that as they seem to lead for Chandler.

I've also read that he expects this to be his final cut. Don't have the source off the top of my head but I don't think he's planning to cut to 3 at any point. No time table on a commitment--could be after the visits or as late as the All-American games. He said he might want to watch and see how the year plays out. (Part of UW's pitch is they expect to be a lot better in 2021. I personally wouldn't mind the Zags having a 1 by our name all year if he's going to be watching and still making up his mind.) It does seem like a chance to win the title is going to matter to him. Hopefully doing that driving distance from his family is a good draw too.

This might mean nothing, but I feel like every time I see him asked about college, Kentucky is the first one he lists.

Assuring to see we are still in Paolo's top schools but I think as time goes on he is slipping farther away. When he visited I know we were his leader but as he is visiting with more schools and talking to all these coaches, his interest is kind of puttering. I hope Few and Lloyd can stay on him and hopefully get him on campus again. Even if he is just giving us an unofficial. The direction of our 2021 recruiting class could go a lot of different ways. Cant wait to see how it plays out.

More insight from Paolo in an interview with Matt McKay Jr.

“Gonzaga - Coach Few, Coach B-Mike, they were one of the earliest schools to start recruiting me. I’ve been there multiple times, like three or four times to Spokane. It’s not home, but it’s close to home. They’ve got like a machine over there...just the way they are, they just get work done, they develop, they run their stuff and it works, and it’s just a great, great program. They know what they’re doing. They win. People knock ‘em for being in a bad conference, but whenever they go out and play other teams, they beat ‘em. So, yeah, I love Gonzaga. Love Coach Few, love Coach B-Mike, and the rest of the staff.”

As for his most memorable moment on a visit...

“And then at Gonzaga, I was at a game when they played BYU...big game, sold out...I mean they sell out every game, but it was a big game for them against BYU. It was during a timeout and I’m sitting there courtside kind of right behind the basket, and then all of a sudden I just hear “WE WANT PAO-LO!” and they had just all of a sudden all started chanting that, the whole student section. And anyone who’s ever been to a Gonzaga game or seen one, their whole student section is like a whole big thing along the entire sideline. So they all started chanting it, it was crazy. I don’t even really like that type of stuff...well I like it, but...you know, everyone started looking at me and all that...but yeah, that was dope. A once in a lifetime type thing.”

https://www.prospectiveinsight.com/post/paolo-banchero

I would love it if we could land Banchero but like some of the comments above, it is very hard to understand who the front runners are. Couple that with wanting to play with Chandler Kennedy who we are not recruiting and it seems as if the odds are less than 16.7% or 1 in 6. But I don’t know. Although Peyton Watson is not the bruising power forward that Paolo is and is a small forward, I think we have a better chance at landing him. Just my opinion.

Package deals almost never happen, so I'm not worried about that part. Based on no inside information whatsoever, I'd guess we're closer to 25-30% chance that he comes here.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

- he want's to showcase his talents, and do so also in the ncaa tournament. i think that takes washington off the board, you really cannot bank it that they make the tourney in two years.
    - sounds like he likes the coaches a lot at Tennessee, but again in a competitive sec conference how many times has Tennessee missed the tourney in the coach barnes era?
    - arizona seems more of a young kid yearning. he must see that miller does not develop talent well.
    - this is to say, i think gonzaga, kentucky and duke are the teams he may end up gravitation towards as het gives his decision more consideration. i like our chances, as good as any of the other teams.

I think our chances are pretty good considering he likes the system and atmosphere we provide. If he really wants to play with Chandler and is a package deal then obviously that's a big blow to our case, but I do think school proximity will matter with the whole COVID situation. Obviously things will be under control by then, but being a quick trip home is always a plus. It's honestly just so cool that we are going head to head with Duke and Kentucky for a recruit. Paolo is clearly the top target for all three schools, and Gonzaga would have never been in the mix just 5 years ago.