Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Paolo Banchero

Not that it has any bearing on which school he chooses, but for one and doners coaching is fairly overrated. How much can you really mold a kid in about half a year you have to work with him?

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Not that it has any bearing on which school he chooses, but for one and doners coaching is fairly overrated. How much can you really mold a kid in about half a year you have to work with him?
    in most cases probably not a whole lot...but level of coaching is more important for bigs...even one and dones

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    in most cases probably not a whole lot...but level of coaching is more important for bigs...even one and dones
    I think that it DOES matter, especially with bigs.

They have mostly had the advantage of every other team, size wise, and have been able to score inside, almost at will.

College will be the first time they will have had to go up against others with equal, or more, size. Positioning and footwork, as well as technique, finally become important to them.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I wonder if he made it to the game tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    He was there

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    We will be in tomorrow with him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    We will be in tomorrow with him as well.
    Great news. Hopefully, much more to follow! This gutsy win tonight definitely had to help our chances with him!

This could very well come down to GU and UW. I think with Hopkins at UW and GU's elevation as a program, guys like John Calipari cannot just call a Pacific NW guy like Kyle Wiltjer anymore and tell him to report to Lexington immediately. It's not as easy as it used to be. GU has a big geographic advantage with Paolo. All Few has to do is hop on the charter. Unless a Duke or a UK can land a Seattle area player with ease, it's not worth making multiple gazillion mile trips and "working" for an elite player when they have so many elite players in their geographic area. If Paolo commits to GU, it's going to send shock waves thru the recruiting world. It will be a major statement about where GU is in the pecking order. Phone calls won't work anymore if a hot shot player comes out of Tacoma.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    This could very well come down to GU and UW. I think with Hopkins at UW and GU's elevation as a program, guys like John Calipari cannot just call a Pacific NW guy like Kyle Wiltjer anymore and tell him to report to Lexington immediately. It's not as easy as it used to be. GU has a big geographic advantage with Paolo. All Few has to do is hop on the charter. Unless a Duke or a UK can land a Seattle area player with ease, it's not worth making multiple gazillion mile trips and "working" for an elite player when they have so many elite players in their geographic area. If Paolo commits to GU, it's going to send shock waves thru the recruiting world. It will be a major statement about where GU is in the pecking order. Phone calls won't work anymore if a hot shot player comes out of Tacoma.
    Boy, I sure hope you're right BUT I just think that winning isn't the most important thing in many of these kids' lives. UW has at least two or more freshman leaving for the draft next season AND UW has had more kids drafted in the last decade than has GU...I think that is the motivator for these kids and why so many western Washington kids gravitate to Dub...what motivates me is different than many...

UDub's freshmen are extremely talented but they are FRESHMEN and they constantly make freshmen mistakes on the court...Our two freshmen make mistakes as well but they don't carry the same weight as they are "bench" players where as UDubs freshmen are counted on toe carry the team...

Still believe recruiting goes through UDub BUT would love to be proven wrong!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Boy, I sure hope you're right BUT I just think that winning isn't the most important thing in many of these kids' lives. UW has at least two or more freshman leaving for the draft next season AND UW has had more kids drafted in the last decade than has GU...I think that is the motivator for these kids and why so many western Washington kids gravitate to Dub...what motivates me is different than many...

UDub's freshmen are extremely talented but they are FRESHMEN and they constantly make freshmen mistakes on the court...Our two freshmen make mistakes as well but they don't carry the same weight as they are "bench" players where as UDubs freshmen are counted on toe carry the team...

Still believe recruiting goes through UDub BUT would love to be proven wrong!!!
    I would be interested to see the numbers on the players drafted by GU and UW in the last ten years. If they do have an advantage, I would think it's not by much. Too busy now, but I will look later.

Since 2000:

Zags have had 12 kids drafted. 8 First round, 4 second.

UW has had 15 kids drafted. 11 first round, 4 second.

Both groups had average career spans of about 5 years. UW has 7 players currently in the NBA... Zags have 6

Honestly, numbers are about even.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Since 2000:

Both groups had average career spans of about 5 years. UW has 7 players currently in the NBA... Zags have 6

How do BIGS compare?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    How do BIGS compare?
    LOL... gonna make me look this stuff up again???

Don't have time right now... but will give you this link:

https://www.basketball-reference.com...aft_finder.cgi
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Since 2000:

Yes the numbers are pretty even but I think it's the perception that those players have of UDub and the fan base on the west side of the state...I can only think of Bell and Kispert from that side that signed with GU...might be more but...

If he does commit it would be a coup and maybe the beginning of a trend...

Since 2000:

What conclusion could ever be theoretically being evidenced by these numbers?

If you are comparing the quality of the university BB programs, you'd need to know the relative player input levels, not just the output levels. You're looking at output only, which completely ignores the contributions (or subtractions) of the university on the player coming in.

It would be an impossible analysis, but you'd need to find a way to determine "value added" in order to compare schools, by looking at the projected NBA draft level or career trajectory of UW & GU players as HS seniors, then compare that to the post professional career reality, controlling for injuries and other weird randomness.

Nearly all of UW's recent pro talent matriculated through Lorenzo Romar's program. Did he make these players better pros than they would have been had they attended the theoretical median D1 BB school?

My (total gut feeling) intuition is that over the past 10 or 20 years UW has had far more elite, NBA-trajectory recruits commit out of of high school. But that GU has consistently done more for the development of their (on average) lower-level recruits, helping them make more money and be better pros than had they gone to UW.

Zach Collins is still the only high school all-american to ever commit to GU, and with a year of coaching and a run to the national championship game, he became a top-10 pick.

Since 2000:

How many of those players were developed into NBA players?

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Dan Dickau

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    What conclusion could ever be theoretically being evidenced by these numbers?

If you are comparing the quality of the university BB programs, you'd need to know the relative player input levels, not just the output levels. You're looking at output only, which completely ignores the contributions (or subtractions) of the university on the player coming in.

It would be an impossible analysis, but you'd need to find a way to determine "value added" in order to compare schools, by looking at the projected NBA draft level or career trajectory of UW & GU players as HS seniors, then compare that to the post professional career reality, controlling for injuries and other weird randomness.

Nearly all of UW's recent pro talent matriculated through Lorenzo Romar's program. Did he make these players better pros than they would have been had they attended the theoretical median D1 BB school?

My (total gut feeling) intuition is that over the past 10 or 20 years UW has had far more elite, NBA-trajectory recruits commit out of of high school. But that GU has consistently done more for the development of their (on average) lower-level recruits, helping them make more money and be better pros than had they gone to UW.

Zach Collins is still the only high school all-american to ever commit to GU, and with a year of coaching and a run to the national championship game, he became a top-10 pick.
    Someone asked the question about it... I merely crunched the numbers. I didn't offer up any questions of quality other than their longevity in the NBA. Nothing more, nothing less. Numerically, they aren't radically different. That is ALL I said.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Depends on one's definition.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    Dan Dickau
    How much by UW, or by GU?

Pretty definitive for Forwards and Centers and trending up for the Zags. I just went for the last 10 years.

Per Game Shooting Advanced
    Rk Year Lg Rd Pk Tm Player Age Pos Born College From To
    1 2013 NBA 1 13 DAL Kelly Olynyk 22.075 C-F ca Gonzaga 2014 2020
    2 2016 NBA 1 11 ORL Domantas Sabonis 20.056 F-C us Gonzaga 2017 2020
    3 2009 NBA 1 15 DET Austin Daye 21.025 F us Gonzaga 2010 2015
    4 2017 NBA 1 10 SAC Zach Collins 19.220 C-F us Gonzaga 2018 2020
    5 2012 NBA 2 60 LAL Robert Sacre 23.028 C us Gonzaga 2013 2016
    6 2019 NBA 1 21 OKC Brandon Clarke 22.279 F ca Gonzaga 2020 2020
    7 2019 NBA 1 9 WAS Rui Hachimura 21.137 F jp Gonzaga 2020 2020

Rk Year Lg Rd Pk Tm Player Age Pos Born College From To G
    1 2009 NBA 2 38 POR Jon Brockman 22.103 F us Washington 2010 2012
    2 2016 NBA 1 8 SAC Marquese Chriss 18.361 F us Washington 2017 2020

Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    How much by UW, or by GU?
    That question popped into my head as well. But the jump he made sitting out that year at GU was huge... So I'd say it would be 70/30 or 75/25 GU

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Pretty definitive for Forwards and Centers and trending up for the Zags. I just went for the last 10 years.

Rk Year Lg Rd Pk Tm Player Age Pos Born College From To
    1 2013 NBA 1 13 DAL Kelly Olynyk 22.075 C-F ca Gonzaga 2014 2020
    2 2016 NBA 1 11 ORL Domantas Sabonis 20.056 F-C us Gonzaga 2017 2020
    3 2009 NBA 1 15 DET Austin Daye 21.025 F us Gonzaga 2010 2015
    4 2017 NBA 1 10 SAC Zach Collins 19.220 C-F us Gonzaga 2018 2020
    5 2012 NBA 2 60 LAL Robert Sacre 23.028 C us Gonzaga 2013 2016
    6 2019 NBA 1 21 OKC Brandon Clarke 22.279 F ca Gonzaga 2020 2020
    7 2019 NBA 1 9 WAS Rui Hachimura 21.137 F jp Gonzaga 2020 2020

Rk Year Lg Rd Pk Tm Player Age Pos Born College From To G
    1 2009 NBA 2 38 POR Jon Brockman 22.103 F us Washington 2010 2012
    2 2016 NBA 1 8 SAC Marquese Chriss 18.361 F us Washington 2017 2020

Thanks for the link.
    No problem. Had to do real work at work... go figure.

Courtside Films
    @CourtsideFilms
    #1 ranked PF in 2021 Paolo Banchero City of Palms Debut! 25 points and 7 rebounds 😤
    @Pp_doesit
    https://twitter.com/CourtsideFilms/s...23488801452033

Everytime I see footage of him it just reminds so much of Rui. The strength, the patience, the midrange, never seems in a hurry.