Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Paolo Banchero

Im not a big believer in freshmen coming in and dominating, or I wasn't until Zach Collins got here. I know thats how it works for other one and done programs but we've always had the under-the-radar chip-on-the-shoulder players that beat the world with great coaching and development so its probably just a new normal for me to wrap my head around. In this case though, Paolo Banchero makes me a believer. Watching him you can tell how hard he is working but still makes it look easy. He is a man amount boys in his highlights but its his versatility that makes me know that he will quickly understand a system that is not built around him and how to still flourish in it. he has great passing and vision, stretches outside and has a midrange game and of course anything close in just looks like a done deal. He is going to be fun to watch hurt some peoples feelings in the preseason games if he comes here. And conference play, forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    It is supposed to be unethical to trash other programs. Coach Drew got blasted for his negative recruiting tactics by Coach Barnes (while he was at Texas) and Bob Knight. Maybe they all do it behind closed doors but it seems that there is a certain amount of decorum, at least the public facing element, in this regard.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...rCS_story.html
    C’mon JP, don’t be naive. CBB recruiting is bare knuckles.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    C’mon JP, don’t be naive. CBB recruiting is bare knuckles.
    It is, but the coaches have a fraternity and word gets around fast. I highly doubt it's an issue for GU.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    It is, but the coaches have a fraternity and word gets around fast. I highly doubt it's an issue for GU.
    I wasn’t implying that GU is a practitioner. But opposing coaches, think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I wasn’t implying that GU is a practitioner. But opposing coaches, think about it.
    They may not be overtly attacking GU, but you can bet most coaches know how to do it covertly or between the lines. False praise, patronizing, stuff like that. That and $$$$$ lol

Just curious about this fraternity...does in include KU, UA, USC...if word get's around then I'd guess there would be coaches that would say something to somebody at the NCAA or sport's reporters...wouldn't you think that would be the case???

I think Jazz is spot on...recruiting is a "dog-eat-dog" world. It is about job security and money...no doubt there are many recruiters out there that have "scruples" but then again many that don't have scruples...it is a business and money makes the world go round...IMO Coach Few does it the right way and selectively recruits kids that will become GU men...

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    They may not be overtly attacking GU, but you can bet most coaches know how to do it covertly or between the lines. False praise, patronizing, stuff like that. That and $$$$$ lol
    GU’s biggest vulnerability continues to be the WCC. I’m sure rival P6 recruiters — even teams headed by Few’s purported pals — hammer away at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Just curious about this fraternity...does in include KU, UA, USC...if word get's around then I'd guess there would be coaches that would say something to somebody at the NCAA or sport's reporters...wouldn't you think that would be the case???

I think Jazz is spot on...recruiting is a "dog-eat-dog" world. It is about job security and money...no doubt there are many recruiters out there that have "scruples" but then again many that don't have scruples...it is a business and money makes the world go round...IMO Coach Few does it the right way and selectively recruits kids that will become GU men...
    None of our players have ever said anything like this about their recruitment, right? Recruits want to be sold on your program, not told how bad others are.

None of our players have ever said anything like this about their recruitment, right? Recruits want to be sold on your program, not told how bad others are.
    Not sure the kids who spurned that talk and came to GU comprise the best universe for such a study.

Not sure this statement is accurate; however, I do recall during JH's recruitment UDub's Dollar did some unethical things during his recruitment and think they were punished...UOP was pretty darn luck as they were not yet in the WCC or they would have been penalized for UDub's errors...

When it gets down to brass tacks, recruiters will say what they need to for that signature...

I don't think it would be unfair for an opposing recruiting coach to point out the WCC. That isn't poo-pooing the program. That is just pointing out a fact that you will be playing glorified high school players in high school gyms in January vs top college basketball talent.

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/s...42273455190017

Jake
    @jakeweingarten
    Source: The G-League has now prioritized the pursuit of several top-rated 2021 prospects. Rod Strickland spoke with the parents of five-star guard Kennedy Chandler three weeks ago, just discussions, nothing serious as of yet.
    10:43 AM · Apr 16, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Something to keep an eye on with Banchero and Chet?

Negative recruiting is super common.

Yeah, they’ll definitely reach out to Paolo too. Physically could skip the NCAA no problem.

Paolo seems like a safe bet to not only get an offer, but also to strongly consider it. I wonder if Chet might be viewed as requiring too much physical development to be worth such an investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyzag12 View Post
    I don't think it would be unfair for an opposing recruiting coach to point out the WCC. That isn't poo-pooing the program. That is just pointing out a fact that you will be playing glorified high school players in high school gyms in January vs top college basketball talent.
    I understand that you are making a comparison with blue chip basketball talent, but I don’t think that calling WCC players glorified high schoolers is accurate or very friendly.

I agree that coaches or those in charge of recruiting will use whatever negatives they can come up with about the WCC.
    True some of the Gym's that the Zags play in during confrence play are less than Ideal. Referring to WCC players as glorified high school players is way off base.
    I agree that the quanity NBA talent coming out of the WCC is not as high as the power confrences!
    The WCC is always ranked somewhere between 7-10th of 32 D1 confrences. Yes Gonzaga plays a huge roll in that!
    Even low end of the WCC is not comparable to high school basketball.

I am not saying it's out of the realm to think Paolo will go, but I think the family overall values education.

Quote Originally Posted by crockdaddy View Post
    Paolo seems like a safe bet to not only get an offer, but also to strongly consider it. I wonder if Chet might be viewed as requiring too much physical development to be worth such an investment.
    "Minnehaha Academy junior big man Chet Holmgren, the nation’s No. 2 player in the Class of 2021 by ESPN.com, understands why others are considering Green’s path.
    “I think it’s definitely a step toward change and others will follow,” Holmgren texted. “But I think many, including myself, don’t know that much about the details.”"

https://www.startribune.com/g-league...all/569713422/

This quote doesn't reveal whether Chet has already been offered G league money or not, but to me it reveals an unusually mature and thoughtful high school student who is not inclined to make big decisions without giving them careful review. I like him a lot.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

If you want to get technical about it , every good player coming out of high school is no more than a glorified high school player. Some of these pan out and others don't.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I am not saying it's out of the realm to think Paolo will go, but I think the family overall values education.
    What is the point of one year's worth of education before going pro, though?

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    It gets you in the door at a university where you will continue to take classes while being a pro. The value of an education is important to some families of these top athletes, even though they seem only after the money.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post

There have been a lot of former Zag players who have walked at graduation years after they finished playing for GU. It's pretty special, IMO.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    There have been a lot of former Zag players who have walked at graduation years after they finished playing for GU. It's pretty special, IMO.
    Many??? How many have left early?

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Many??? How many have left early?
    Frahm and Morrison come to mind. I’m not sure about any others.
    MCMM 2020: Who Wants Some Cheese?