Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Paolo Banchero

If UW in Seattle is really a possible destination point for Banchero, maybe what is going on there will make Banchero think that Eastern Washington (Spokane) is more attractive than Seattle. Of course Lexington and Durham aren't having the same problems.

According to 247, we definitely lose.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitut...rtPredictions/
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post

Not to be a Debbie downer here...but are we really in as good of a position as we think? Odd that 100% of these blowholes don’t even list the Zags as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post

I mean, most of the predictions for Banchero were made in 2019. The one made on May 13th was for Kentucky. That sounds consistent with when rumors of Banchero reclassing flared up. Honestly, I'm not putting a lot of weight into 247s crystal balls for Banchero right now.

I think Caldwell's general comments have been that GU, Kentucky, and Tennessee(?) are the leaders for Banchero. GU has a legit chance at landing Banchero.

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag19 View Post
    I mean, most of the predictions for Banchero were made in 2019. The one made on May 13th was for Kentucky. That sounds consistent with when rumors of Banchero reclassing flared up. Honestly, I'm not putting a lot of weight into 247s crystal balls for Banchero right now.

I think Caldwell's general comments have been that GU, Kentucky, and Tennessee(?) are the leaders for Banchero. GU has a legit chance at landing Banchero.
    I missed that nuance. I will say they often put “not available” if the predictions go stale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    Not to be a Debbie downer here...but are we really in as good of a position as we think? Odd that 100% of these blowholes don’t even list the Zags as an option.
    Why would he not join a no 1 seed with a no 1 ranking. Closer to home. Lots of TV and superior facilities with a sold out arena and rapid fans... does it get better??

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Why would he not join a no 1 seed with a no 1 ranking. Closer to home. Lots of TV and superior facilities with a sold out arena and rapid fans... does it get better??
    Appreciate your optimism, Doc.

Gonzaga surely has a shelf full of things to sell. But, there are definitely other schools that have full pantries.

Let’s hope there is something so compelling amongst the many delicacies in Zagland that Paolo has to have some.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Appreciate your optimism, Doc.

Gonzaga surely has a shelf full of things to sell. But, there are definitely other schools that have full pantries.
    …. and those other schools do not have the WCC.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    …. and those other schools do not have the WCC.
    Those other schools also don't practice against the 2nd best team in their conference daily.

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag19 View Post
    Those other schools also don't practice against the 2nd best team in their conference daily.
    Fair enough. But I bet some of those schools practice daily against guys better than the second best team in the WCC. Although the way things are looking on the BYU recruiting front, few schools may have practice squad quality equal to them.

I dont think the WCC is a problem at all.
    Top shelf players like Paolo are not worried that they might not get noticed or that the competition is not good enough. Fringe players might think that way!
    Gonzaga plays awesome non-conference schedules year after year, the best tournaments and on and on!
    The WCC is not a problem, its part of an unbelievable
    winning formula. Zags probably start next year preseason #1. Last year PS #8 the year before PS #3. If GU doesn't have a #1 seed going into the tournament it's a disappointment.
    Call me crazy but that sounds like something is working!!
    Coach Few & staff are now recruiting with the best in the country and landing the elite in Spokane.
    Moving from or blaming the WCC? For what? Success?
    Maybe Coke should change it's formula? Oh yeah that was a great move!
    The Gonzaga brand sells winning like no other brand in the country.
    I live on the east coast, if you talk west coast basketball here there is only one name that ends every sentence-GONZAGA.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    I dont think the WCC is a problem at all.
    Top shelf players like Paolo are not worried that they might not get noticed or that the competition is not good enough. Fringe players might think that way!
    Gonzaga plays awesome non-conference schedules year after year, the best tournaments and on and on!
    The WCC is not a problem, its part of an unbelievable
    winning formula. Zags probably start next year preseason #1. Last year PS #8 the year before PS #3. If GU doesn't have a #1 seed going into the tournament it's a disappointment.
    Call me crazy but that sounds like something is working!!
    Coach Few & staff are now recruiting with the best in the country and landing the elite in Spokane.
    Moving from or blaming the WCC? For what? Success?
    Maybe Coke should change it's formula? Oh yeah that was a great move!
    The Gonzaga brand sells winning like no other brand in the country.
    I live on the east coast, if you talk west coast basketball here there is only one name that ends every sentence-GONZAGA.
    I too live on the east coast (smack dab in the middle of ACC country). The one and only negative I ever hear about GU is that it's in a mid major conference. The comments I hear ad nauseam are: 20 consecutive tournament appearances would never happen in a power 6 conference, the nation leading winning percentage is solely attributive to the WCC affiliation, etc, etc). Of course I don't subscribe to this BS, but it's out there none the same.

In my opinion, the only thing holding the Zags back in the recruiting wars is the WCC. I wonder how many of the highest level recruits GU missed on in the past might have come on board if we were not in a mid major conference playing games in mostly high school level gyms. Yes, GU is riding high right now, but the key is sustaining this success into the future. I think sustained success down the road 10-15 years from now would be more likely if we were in a higher profile conference. Of course the issue of an alternative to the WCC is probably moot for numerous reasons previously covered on this board.

I too live on the east coast (smack dab in the middle of ACC country). The one and only negative I ever hear about GU is that it's in a mid major conference. The comments I hear ad nauseam are: 20 consecutive tournament appearances would never happen in a power 6 conference, the nation leading winning percentage is solely attributive to the WCC affiliation, etc, etc). Of course I don't subscribe to this BS, but it's out there none the same.

In my opinion, the only thing holding the Zags back in the recruiting wars is the WCC. I wonder how many of the highest level recruits GU missed on in the past might have come on board if we were not in a mid major conference playing games in mostly high school level gyms. Yes, GU is riding high right now, but the key is sustaining this success into the future. I think sustained success down the road 10-15 years from now would be more likely if we were in a higher profile conference. Of course the issue of an alternative to the WCC is probably moot for numerous reasons previously covered on this board.
    WCC was 9th in this posting, barely behind #7. It is not much of a stretch, with the improvements being mad at several other schools, to believe that the WCC will be #7 next year, or soon. The best non P6 conference. A conference where Basketball is King (and Queen). For recruits that want to shine, and be seen, it is not a bad place to be.

http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/
    It's not funny.

I really see the WCC trending in the direction of the old big east.
    The whole non power confrence (mid major) or non football confrence thing are thoughts of the past.
    When taking a good program to an elite program you have to recruit better talent and of course there were many who chose bigger programs over GU. That's not a negative it's a reality of the steps that are taken to build a program.
    It wasn't long ago that GU was looked at being crazy to recruit a kid with an offer from a power school! Thank God Few and co. never thought that way.
    Gonzaga's track record over the past 20,15,10,5 years shows an adequate success rate that would make me believe in the sustainability of its product.
    I agree it's hard to stay at the top but why not?
    The confrence doesn't help Gonzaga, Gonzaga helps Gonzaga!
    If Kansas or Kentucky have a couple of mediocre years does their confrence help them recruit the top players? I dont think so. Old Miss or K-state ok I'll agree it helps but we are not going after that level of recruit.
    Gonzaga is in a great spot.
    Sometimes I think we as Gonzaga fans just want to be accepted. I'm way past that!! That was 10 years ago.
    Gonzaga is a national power house we just have to realize that.

Getting a commitment from Nembhard has to help us with Banchero.

Nembhard
    Dom
    Watty
    Timme
    Banchero/Ballo

Potential #1 team in the nation again.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Getting a commitment from Nembhard has to help us with Banchero.

Nembhard
    Dom
    Watty
    Timme
    Banchero/Ballo

Potential #1 team in the nation again.
    Maybe even Ayayi will be available in 2021 to play alongside Nembhard. There are hints he stays this year and next year.

Quote Originally Posted by jsnider View Post
    Maybe even Ayayi will be available in 2021 to play alongside Nembhard. There are hints he stays this year and next year.
    And Arlauskas, and Zak, and Straw, and.....

Banchero interview

What does a school have to have in order to land you?

"A family enviornment"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDEYmu9TqSI

Quote Originally Posted by phxfireflames View Post
    Banchero interview

What does a school have to have in order to land you?

"A family enviornment"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDEYmu9TqSI
    Well then I think we have a pretty good shot.

Just a quick note, as I try to avoid arguments about the WCC. We are winning recruiting battles, probably at a higher percent than most honestly. We are selective in who we offer and when we offer and get them on campus we win a good percentage of them. I have said it numerous times we are in a great spot for Banchero, I mean really great spot. I would say we are in the lead with Tennessee and Kentucky tied for 2nd. Things can change definitely, but we are in a great spot, better than major recruiting outlets want to admit.

I believe the 2021 class will have Nembhard, Perry, Watson, and Banchero in it. Also, think Sallis is a legit possibly too. I leave Chet out because I believe playing time may be a factor and if/when we land Banchero that's even less time to go around at the 4/5. Honestly we have done an amazing job at recruiting Chet as well, so wouldn't be shocked if he committed just think from my conversations Banchero is more likely at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Just a quick note, as I try to avoid arguments about the WCC. We are winning recruiting battles, probably at a higher percent than most honestly. We are selective in who we offer and when we offer and get them on campus we win a good percentage of them. I have said it numerous times we are in a great spot for Banchero, I mean really great spot. I would say we are in the lead with Tennessee and Kentucky tied for 2nd. Things can change definitely, but we are in a great spot, better than major recruiting outlets want to admit.

I believe the 2021 class will have Nembhard, Perry, Watson, and Banchero in it. Also, think Sallis is a legit possibly too. I leave Chet out because I believe playing time may be a factor and if/when we land Banchero that's even less time to go around at the 4/5. Honestly we have done an amazing job at recruiting Chet as well, so wouldn't be shocked if he committed just think from my conversations Banchero is more likely at this point.
    Caldwell, have you heard of any timeline regarding a potential commitment from either Paolo or Chet? Paolo appears to be further along in the recruitment process in general right now, but it still seems like both are not going to commit any time soon. What have you heard on this front?

Quote Originally Posted by Zag1203 View Post
    Caldwell, have you heard of any timeline regarding a potential commitment from either Paolo or Chet? Paolo appears to be further along in the recruitment process in general right now, but it still seems like both are not going to commit any time soon. What have you heard on this front?
    Banchero I have heard before the start of basketball season. I know we would like to bring him to campus one more time, Kraziness if it happens? No clue on Chet, he is cutting his list this week and yes spoiler we will be at the top of it.

Holmgren is such a unique player that I don't think the positional depth argument holds as much water as for others. by 2021 I think we will have room for a 3/4 which is where he pencils in with his skillset more than a 4/5 like Banchero. I wouldn't be surprised if Watson is still here, and the Euros arent, so with Kispert graduating there is some wiggle room, although not a ton with Strawther in second year tear-it-up mode by then.

I think this Twitter link shows Paolo touching the rim... with his forehead.

https://twitter.com/pp_doesit/status...050153477?s=21

Chet Holmgren also replied to the video, fwiw...

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post

I think it’s super important these next couple years that we shuttle guys into the league. Not only does that mean we are doing well as a team but it’s attractive to recruits (and definitely helps make room for them on the roster). I think we have a good shot at a lot of top players but they will only come if there is enough space for them. Hopefully all the fringe NBA guys we have now make a simultaneous jump and can all pursue NBA careers.