Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Paolo Banchero

GU not only needs to fend off UW, but all these blue bloods like Calipari. From what I have heard, Paolo wishes to say close to home, and if he plays for GU, he will play in the NCAA tourney because there is a long history of proving that GU makes the NCAA tourney, even in seasons when they do not have their finest teams.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    GU not only needs to fend off UW, but all these blue bloods like Calipari. From what I have heard, Paolo wishes to say close to home, and if he plays for GU, he will play in the NCAA tourney because there is a long history of proving that GU makes the NCAA tourney, even in seasons when they do not have their finest teams.
    And most likely contend for a NCAA title while being a top 10 team all year.

“I’m not cutting down again, next is a decision for me,” Banchero told Stockrisers.com.

https://stockrisers.com/2020/06/08/f...is-a-decision/

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    “I’m not cutting down again, next is a decision for me,” Banchero told Stockrisers.com.

https://stockrisers.com/2020/06/08/f...is-a-decision/
    No surprise here. Paolo does not need to trim his list anymore. I would guess he will make a decision before basketball season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    No surprise here. Paolo does not need to trim his list anymore. I would guess he will make a decision before basketball season starts.
    We still in lead?

Sounds like the eastern schools are out of it, Likely between us and UW. AZ got too much on its plate and is recruiting foreign kids. This kid is a good one. Speaks well and from the heart. Bless him. Now we gots to get him!
    Last edited by MDABE80; 06-09-2020 at 01:23 PM.

Kentucky is never out of it. Say what you will, Coach Cal is a master at getting blue-chippers. Cal's success has been recent enough too. There are a lot of KU bigs roaming around the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I would think a great attraction for Paolo would be knowing a great point guard would be at GU to feed him the ball. Obviously there could be multiple benefits for the program to get Nembhard's commitment asap (for the 2021 season).

If I were to handicap this, I would say that Kentucky is the most likely, with Gonzaga/UW in solid position, and Tennessee still a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    If I were to handicap this, I would say that Kentucky is the most likely, with Gonzaga/UW in solid position, and Tennessee still a possibility.
    Based on what? Caldwell has said we’ve been in the lead for awhile now. You know something different?

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    I would think a great attraction for Paolo would be knowing a great point guard would be at GU to feed him the ball. Obviously there could be multiple benefits for the program to get Nembhard's commitment asap (for the 2021 season).
    Step 1 is getting Nembhard to Gonzaga. That said, I am worried we will be disappointed here. I don't know anything but the longer it drags out the more concerned i become. Duke just scares me more than any other team from a recruiting perspective. I like our chances with Paolo going up against both UW and Kentucky more than Nembhard going up against Duke. Now - please understand I know nothing here and I know our leaders give us a good shot.

If you have been reading the Kentucky board, they think they are getting every player in the country. I would not put a lot of juice in what they say. Most of it is just their arrogance coming through. I retired from Kentucky State Penitentiary and have been watching them since 1964,when I am talking about their arrogance, I know what I am talking about. This makes following Kentucky that much harder. That has driven me closer and closer to the Zags. The Zags are run like a family and the Wildcats are run more like a business. The Family atmosphere is much more enjoyable than the business side, at least for me it is.

No 1 seed and no 1 ranking should mean something to Paolo. Plus if he wants to be closer to home ( per CDC), I can't see a lot to support him going elsewhere. And having a family environment in his first stop leaving the nest should be a huge attraction. Also this run of NCAA appearances means more when Sweet 16's or better are counted in the last 5 years. UW is a perennial flub.....even with NBA. But who knows these days. Maybe somebody in the Seattle area might clarify the feeling about GU. DO we still appear to be lil brothers to UW? I cannot imagine that...…….

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Based on what? Caldwell has said we’ve been in the lead for awhile now. You know something different?
    I haven't seen anything recent from Caldwell or Blue on the status of this. I know that we have been in good position, but I hadn't heard we were the leader, maybe I missed where Caldwell said this. As for why I say that, I'm just reading stories like everyone else and that was the feeling I've gotten out of what I've read recently.

EDIT: I have not read anything from a Kentucky board or any other board/site related to the schools, outside of this one.

I haven't seen anything recent from Caldwell or Blue on the status of this. I know that we have been in good position, but I hadn't heard we were the leader, maybe I missed where Caldwell said this. As for why I say that, I'm just reading stories like everyone else and that was the feeling I've gotten out of what I've read recently.

EDIT: I have not read anything from a Kentucky board or any other board/site related to the schools, outside of this one.
    I think Caldwell put it up on this thread a week or two back. He thinks we are leader and Paolo should end up the highest ranked recruit in program history. Paolo knows a GU commitment wouldn’t be well received in Seattle but I think he pulls the trigger and comes here. We check every single box.

Read post #540 of this thread dated May 27, 2020.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

I think this chat would explode if Paolo reclassified and committed to GU for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    Read post #540 of this thread dated May 27, 2020.
    How awesome is it that I'm being told on post #591 to view post #540 on a recruit. That's why it so fun to be a Zag fan, everyone is engaged in all aspects. This thread has an amazing number of posts!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsTilDeath View Post
    I think this chat would explode if Paolo reclassified and committed to GU for next year.
    Let's hope he doesn't reclassify...very little playing time available this year if our three recommit from the draft..."IF" this were to happen don't think GU would be his final destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Let's hope he doesn't reclassify...very little playing time available this year if our three recommit from the draft..."IF" this were to happen don't think GU would be his final destination.
    Sorry - but he would probably be the best player on the team. It wouldn't be him not playing.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    Sorry - but he would probably be the best player on the team. It wouldn't be him not playing.....
    Agreed.

If he is on the team this year, I think the front court rotation minutes would mirror the 2017 FF team, as follows:

Petrusev = Karnowski
    Paolo = J3
    Anton = Collins
    Timme = Tillie
    Ballo = Rui

This would be unfortunate for Timme & Ballo, but my goodness with that depth they could give every opponent 40 minutes of hell on both ends of the court.

Quote Originally Posted by FriarZag View Post
    Agreed.

If he is on the team this year, I think the front court rotation minutes would mirror the 2017 FF team, as follows:

Petrusev = Karnowski
    Paolo = J3
    Anton = Collins
    Timme = Tillie
    Ballo = Rui

This would be unfortunate for Timme & Ballo, but my goodness with that depth they could give every opponent 40 minutes of hell on both ends of the court.
    Paolo would not be a starter over Timme and Ballo is going to get his minutes by hook or crook...Paolo and Anton would have to fight for minutes and if Anton plays the three, then he will split time with CK, Arlauskas and Strawther.

Paolo is an excellent high school player and will probably be an exceptional frosh but reclassifying to 20-21 would not be good for him regarding playing time...21-22 will be his time to shine as Filip, CK, Joel, Suggs, and possibly Watson (all five starters) could all be gone after this coming season, leaving the cupboard bare so he would fit in nicely...

So you think Watson is going to start aver Timme ? I don't, Timme reminds me as the second coming of Kevin McHale. Watson is a fine player, but I don't see him being better than Timme, especially after the way Timme looked at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    So you think Watson is going to start aver Timme ? I don't, Timme reminds me as the second coming of Kevin McHale. Watson is a fine player, but I don't see him being better than Timme, especially after the way Timme looked at the end of the season.
    Watson was starting over Timme last year when he was healthy and Tillie was out. I dont know who is better, but if Petrusev is back I think Watson fits better playing alongside Petrusev than Timme does. I think Watson starts over Timme but their minutes will be almost even.

Timme was not nearly the player at the begining of the season when Watson was playing that he was at the end of the season. Few always plays 2 big men, and Watson is more of a sf Timme has more of a big mans inside game. I think Timme and Petrusev fit the high low game much better than Watson. Just my opinion. Discusing our opinions is what this board is all about is it not ?