Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Paolo Banchero

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsTilDeath View Post
    I think it’s super important these next couple years that we shuttle guys into the league. Not only does that mean we are doing well as a team but it’s attractive to recruits (and definitely helps make room for them on the roster). I think we have a good shot at a lot of top players but they will only come if there is enough space for them. Hopefully all the fringe NBA guys we have now make a simultaneous jump and can all pursue NBA careers.
    Assuming Tillie makes a roster, this will mark the 5th straight NBA draft class that Gonzaga will have a draft entree on a full season NBA roster. 2016, 2017, 2019, and maybe 2020 depending on where Tillie goes, will have 1st rounders.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Holmgren is such a unique player that I don't think the positional depth argument holds as much water as for others. by 2021 I think we will have room for a 3/4 which is where he pencils in with his skillset more than a 4/5 like Banchero. I wouldn't be surprised if Watson is still here, and the Euros arent, so with Kispert graduating there is some wiggle room, although not a ton with Strawther in second year tear-it-up mode by then.
    Hooter, what makes you feel our two rising sophomore Euros will depart after this coming season, if we have a season?

I think they will get much more playing time this season, especially if Filip and CK decide to leave for the NBA/Europe.

Zakarov has the talent to contribute to this program, even with all this talent, hopefully coming in. The other one just doesn't have the physcial tools, or skill set to contribute on a team that we should have. Not being mean or hating on him, that's just the way it is. Zakarov is an excellent athlete for a 7'er he has a nose for rebounding. The light should click on in his head, and he will realize how good he can be. It is just a confidence thing in him. There should always be room for a 7'er with talent. The other guy, lets just say it this way, the talent and skill level is just not there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    Zakarov has the talent to contribute to this program, even with all this talent, hopefully coming in. The other one just doesn't have the physcial tools, or skill set to contribute on a team that we should have. Not being mean or hating on him, that's just the way it is. Zakarov is an excellent athlete for a 7'er he has a nose for rebounding. The light should click on in his head, and he will realize how good he can be. It is just a confidence thing in him. There should always be room for a 7'er with talent. The other guy, lets just say it this way, the talent and skill level is just not there.
    Thanks for your opinion but I can’t agree...I’ve seen both play and think both will have a positive impact at GU...I wonder what the NCAA might do if there isn’t a season, will they still be sophomores for the 2021-2022 season,

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Thanks for your opinion but I can’t agree...I’ve seen both play and think both will have a positive impact at GU...I wonder what the NCAA might do if there isn’t a season, will they still be sophomores for the 2021-2022 season,
    Would you rather have I am not going to say his name stay here instead of bringing in Watson, or Holmgren, or Banchero ? I wouldn't

Completely agree

Would you rather have I am not going to say his name stay here instead of bringing in Watson, or Holmgren, or Banchero ? I wouldn't
    If your talking about the other Euro then those recruits your listing have nothing to do with him...he is listed as a guard but was forced to play out of position some last year due to our lack of depth.

I don't think we should be writing off freshman because they don't look ready to play for us yet. Let them have time to develop. That player has way more potential and tools than some people give him credit for (we wouldn't have recruited him if he didn't). He probably should have redshirted last year, but we couldn't due to depth issues. Our patience with Olynyk paid off, we shouldn't lose patience with player development just because we are getting a couple of top 10 guys now.

Ayayi’s jump comes to mind, although I think his was remarkable and somewhat of an outlier.

Why are you not saying his name? Is he voldemort?

Quote Originally Posted by YankMyZAG View Post
    Why are you not saying his name? Is he voldemort?
    Arlauskas. He's not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzagit View Post
    I guess some people on here don't realize that.

Based on what? He looked solid when he got minutes.. and he was a freshman. Has good size, a decent shooting stroke, can handle the ball, finish in traffic..

What makes you think that in year 3 or 4 he cant be a 10 mpg guy at the 3 spot? Personally i think he would be a very good player for us if he continued to develop.

No he’s not. A last decade Zag talent, at best.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    No he’s not. A last decade Zag talent, at best.
    There's Jazz... Knew I could count on him to rip on one of our very own.

GD I hate trolls and their negative energy

I have to admit that I wasn't impressed with him last year at all - very disappointed with what I saw. That said, he was a fairly highly touted recruit ranked in the top 60 I think so there is some talent there supposedly despite what my eyes showed me. I think Arlo would benefit greatly from taking a redshirt year this year if everyone comes back and we have the proper depth to afford that. I think he would have taken a redshirt year last year but with Tillie's injury, the surprise move by Brock Ravet to leave the team, and Ballo's academic redshirt, the team did not have the appropriate depth for him to do so. Let's not completely write him off since i believe he could take a redshirt year and who knows where his development goes from there.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Based on what? He looked solid when he got minutes.. and he was a freshman. Has good size, a decent shooting stroke, can handle the ball, finish in traffic..

What makes you think that in year 3 or 4 he cant be a 10 mpg guy at the 3 spot? Personally i think he would be a very good player for us if he continued to develop.
    I thought he looked bad in the games I watched. Was he nervous? I'm sure. But no handles, shooting stroke, fluidity. Could be a decent defender with his size, but that's all I saw. He's Jesse Wade, Greg Foster, Bryan Alberts, Luke Mika, Monninghoff, the list goes on and on. Great kid I'm sure, but he can't play here. There's a difference between bagging on a kid and being realistic.

Who would you say is the most likely to commit to UK for 2021-22: Hardy, Bachero, Huntley-Hatfield (assuming a reclassification)

Lastly, Paolo Banchero has often discussed playing in college with Kennedy Chandler. Believe it or not, Tennessee has the best chance of making such a package deal happen. UK is definitely a suitor for both, but if the two go their separate ways chances are Banchero picks Kentucky.

So, I actually think Hardy, Huntley-Hatfield and Banchero will all end up picking Kentucky, but Hardy is the likeliest.
    https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....-michigan-more

Both of the Euros are four year players...“IF WE HAVE A SEASON” we will lose four to five players next year!!! GU isn’t Duke or UK, we need four year players to keep the bus moving in the right direction...there will be enough scholarships to go around for your fab five

Quote Originally Posted by phxfireflames View Post
    Who would you say is the most likely to commit to UK for 2021-22: Hardy, Bachero, Huntley-Hatfield (assuming a reclassification)

Also in the article on the topic of future top 5 players opting to go the pro route

"The college game will roll on. The loss of Jalen Green and Daishen Nix will hurt, but not all prospects will pursue what the G League has to offer. For example, look for Pat Baldwin, Paolo Banchero and Chet Holmgren to eschew the G League experience and opt for college."

Quote Originally Posted by phxfireflames View Post

I also find it comical that national recruiting 'insiders' writers refuse to mention Gonzaga's name in connection to either Banchero or Holmgren.

I thought he looked bad in the games I watched. Was he nervous? I'm sure. But no handles, shooting stroke, fluidity. Could be a decent defender with his size, but that's all I saw. He's Jesse Wade, Greg Foster, Bryan Alberts, Luke Mika, Monninghoff, the list goes on and on. Great kid I'm sure, but he can't play here. There's a difference between bagging on a kid and being realistic.
    I think hes waaaaayyy better than those guys mentioned. THose guys didnt belong. We must have been watching diff games. He didnt look like he didnt belong.

It seems many forget how Ayayi looked his first year. Trying to hard and getting out of position on D. It shows how good Timme was as a Freshman. Able to fit in so well!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zag1203 View Post
    I also find it comical that national recruiting 'insiders' writers refuse to mention Gonzaga's name in connection to either Banchero or Holmgren.
    The national recruiters still don't see Gonzaga as a Blue Blood get them to the pro's factory, like Kentucky and Duke. In fairness, that's not what we are, we are a develop them and then get them to the pro's. We have not had recruits (minus Collins) who showed up on campus and were true one and done guys. Suggs will be another one, Paolo and Chet will follow suit. Only then will the national guys start to realize we are a recruiting power house, not just a power house on the court.