Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Paolo Banchero

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    The more I hear about this one the more I agree.
    You don't say...

The more I read and see of Banchero the more impressed I become. The Whelping Box is a blessing and curse because if he doesn't end up a GU at will be very disappointed. He was at "pipe dream" status in my mind when he was first mentioned. This would be a great get. In his interview he said that he was taking official visits to places far away because he could just check out the close places on his own. A GU official visit is an interesting one to me.

The kid is a baller, has a super high BBIQ, and seems like a hard worker. Still, folks should hold their horses with Paolo. It would be a massive surprise if he ending up coming to GU.

Anyone notice his Mom played at UW? Also kinda admire Wazzou and Montana throwing their hats in. I guess it doesn't cost anything to offer.

https://twitter.com/Pp_doesit/status/918344039493070848

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    With Perry coming in, is this basically a one-or-the-other situation then with Holmgren & Banchero?
    No not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Anyone notice his Mom played at UW? Also kinda admire Wazzou and Montana throwing their hats in. I guess it doesn't cost anything to offer.

https://twitter.com/Pp_doesit/status/918344039493070848
    Yeah both parents went to UW. Honestly they will be hard to beat here, but the fit at GU is a more natural fit for Paolo. Let's just say that GU keeps coming up as a "favorite" in discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    You don't say...

The more I read and see of Banchero the more impressed I become. The Whelping Box is a blessing and curse because if he doesn't end up a GU at will be very disappointed. He was at "pipe dream" status in my mind when he was first mentioned. This would be a great get. In his interview he said that he was taking official visits to places far away because he could just check out the close places on his own. A GU official visit is an interesting one to me.
    He has taken an unofficial visit to us, so the fact he is taking an official as well is huge. I wouldn't put him as a pipe dream that's for sure, he has a legit shot at ending up at GU. A few of the people I talk to in recruiting circles agree, the people within the program I know are very confident as well. Just saying the buzz is growing and basketballzag and I are on the same page!

You've got to love the interaction from our current recruits that happens on twitter as well. Clearly there are some connections being formed, which has to help. I've got no inside information, but based on what's out there, it seems clear that we've got a shot.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Yeah both parents went to UW. Honestly they will be hard to beat here, but the fit at GU is a more natural fit for Paolo. Let's just say that GU keeps coming up as a "favorite" in discussions.
    Great fit. Our track record of developing bigs is huge.

He has taken an unofficial visit to us, so the fact he is taking an official as well is huge. I wouldn't put him as a pipe dream that's for sure, he has a legit shot at ending up at GU. A few of the people I talk to in recruiting circles agree, the people within the program I know are very confident as well. Just saying the buzz is growing and basketballzag and I are on the same page!
    Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    You've got to love the interaction from our current recruits that happens on twitter as well. Clearly there are some connections being formed, which has to help. I've got no inside information, but based on what's out there, it seems clear that we've got a shot.
    I love that Harris is leading a recruiting effort that Strawther and Suggs are embracing. Harris feels like the leader we had in Pangos, NWF, and Perkins, and Suggs continues the narrative explicitly naming Holmgren and Banchero as priority targets. I sure hope we can beat out family ties and big brands to put together a true national title contender.

Perry & Banchero would be Clarke & Hachimura 2.0. Both such perfect fits for our style of play.

With Perry coming in, is this basically a one-or-the-other situation then with Holmgren & Banchero?
    I actually think it improves the odds of getting Holmgren. Holmgren doesn't see himself as a big and even though he's a footer he's not a traditional big. He is going to a program that will help him develop that skillset for the NBA and having a duo like Perry/Paolo should allow the Zags to be more creative with Holmgren.

I think weve seen where two pro level talents can share the court rather well with Sabonis/Wiltjer and Rui/Clarke and one of those three will not be here long. Chet alone needs some time to eat tacos and burgers for at least two years

I like that he was at the Zag game vs UW -- and was able to witness the better team ---- his parents might have gone to UW -- but it doesn't mean he has to follow in their footsteps -- add in the big man program here putting Zags in the NBA and the relationship that our other incoming recruits are building with Paolo --he will get to play with NBA caliber bigs here in Spokane in the offseason ---throw in Hoopfest --- plus get him far enough away from the Seattle area to eliminate some of the distractions --but close enough to visit family/friends when he wants -- it sounds like a win-win-win-win-win situation for everyone involved.

I think that with Chet-- if he sees a school has a good number of big men already in the lineup -- it gives him the green light to be the unique player he wants to be --because he will not be forced to fit into a standard big man mold.

No all of their roles would be different and I'm 100% optimistic that those three will be in that class.

Yep, count me in on the above. My understanding from earlier this week was was Gonzaga and Kentucky lead in this recruitment. Keep in mind though that he is a 2021 recruit and a lot can change between now and commitment time (whenever that is).

Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    I actually think it improves the odds of getting Holmgren. Holmgren doesn't see himself as a big and even though he's a footer he's not a traditional big. He is going to a program that will help him develop that skillset for the NBA and having a duo like Perry/Paolo should allow the Zags to be more creative with Holmgren.

I think that's a very good take, Fanatic.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    No all of their roles would be different and I'm 100% optimistic that those three will be in that class.
    Agree. I think we add a guard to that class as well, there are a few names starting to float around, but those three I am pretty convinced will be in our 2021 class (definitely can change as time goes on though).

Quote Originally Posted by ZagBlue View Post
    Yep, count me in on the above. My understanding from earlier this week was was Gonzaga and Kentucky lead in this recruitment. Keep in mind though that he is a 2021 recruit and a lot can change between now and commitment time (whenever that is).
    Same two leaders I have heard, also can't count out Duke. I think it will be a battle of the Blue Bloods verse the new Blue Blood for Paolo.

Same two leaders I have heard, also can't count out Duke. I think it will be a battle of the Blue Bloods verse the new Blue Blood for Paolo.
    I think we're a shoe-in...IMO our tacos are better than anything Duke or UK can conjure up! Let him eat tacos and all the hot sauce he can handle and he will commit at half-time of the game...take it to the bank!!!

GO ZAGS!!!

Old news on parents - and what I know about this kid is he’s got the NBA squarely in his sights. Given the fit being better at GU and our track record with bigs, Me thinks that puts us at an advantage to UW despite their built in advantages. Caldwell knows best but I would guess he’s 50/50 or maybe even 60/40 GU.

I don’t think he leaves the State either despite ALL the big hitters involved - this kid is proud of his State and wants to rep for it IMO.

3 days till his visit.

Perry, Banchero, Holmgren... That front court would be unstoppable. We would be big time National Title favorites from the start of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    3 days till his visit.

Perry, Banchero, Holmgren... That front court would be unstoppable. We would be big time National Title favorites from the start of the year.
    Man....just imagine if Suggs stuck around for his sophomore season (hah):

PG - Suggs
    SG - Harris
    SF - Watson/Strawther
    F - Timme/Holmgren
    F - Banchero/Perry

That probably has to be the most talented lineup in GU's history

PG - Suggs
    SG - Harris
    SF - Watson/Strawther
    F - Timme/Holmgren
    F - Banchero/Perry

Getting ahead of ourselves here but can take out the probably. Would still fit the description even if Suggs leaves.

PG - Suggs
    SG - Harris
    SF - Watson/Strawther
    F - Timme/Holmgren
    F - Banchero/Perry

Crazy thing about that lineup, with or without Suggs, is Pavel and Ballo are top 50 recruits that are not even listed. Add in Martynas a Top 100 recruit and let's just say that is the most talented lineup in GU history.

Crazy thing about that lineup, with or without Suggs, is Pavel and Ballo are top 50 recruits that are not even listed. Add in Martynas a Top 100 recruit and let's just say that is the most talented lineup in GU history.
    By a mile. Hypothetically, of course.

PG - Suggs
    SG - Harris
    SF - Watson/Strawther
    F - Timme/Holmgren
    F - Banchero/Perry

That is a great group of 8 players...the lack of guard depth is a bit alarming to me however.