• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zag buddy
    Banned
    • Dec 2007

BYU stepping up this year

BYU Basketball Looked Dangerous Against BC Silute In Italy
    BYU basketball played a competitive game against an actual opponent and beat them 92-64 yesterday. No, the game doesn't count and Italian professional team BC Silute isn't
  • LongIslandZagFan
    • Feb 2007

Top end of WCC is going to be TOUGH. Feel bad that the NCAA is going after a kid who RETURNED to school because of stupid paperwork. Rest assured, if Childs played for Koach or Roy... he'd have gotten a pass.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• bartruff1
      Zag for Life
      • Jan 2010

nit

Comment

• DZ
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
        nit
        I'd be carefulll

Whole new coaching corps?

How many years have we talked "If they just played defense they'd be really really …"

Well, maybe the new sheriff in town gets down to defense as a priority?

Perhaps they'd be really really good.

Not saying they will, but they can definitely surprise.
        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
        Mark Twain.

Comment

• bdmiller7
          Zag for Life
          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by bartruff1 View Post
          nit
          This is my guess too, but mostly because of Yoeli's suspension. They'll lose a couple games they would have won with him and it will cost them.

Comment

• ZagRecruitWatch
            Kennel Club Alum
            • Jul 2019

Originally posted by bdmiller7 View Post
            This is my guess too, but mostly because of Yoeli's suspension. They'll lose a couple games they would have won with him and it will cost them.
            Hurts us too on paper

Comment

• bartruff1
              Zag for Life
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
              I'd be carefulll

Whole new coaching corps?

How many years have we talked "If they just played defense they'd be really really …"

Well, maybe the new sheriff in town gets down to defense as a priority?

Perhaps they'd be really really good.

Not saying they will, but they can definitely surprise.
              Your right....new coach...but same old players....Wade a no show.....CBI...

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                • Feb 2007

Honestly, my gut says Rose May have been the problem all along. I’ll take a wait and see but I think you might be eating crow by the end... or I will
                "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• bartruff1
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2010

My gut says Rose was a miracle worker.....it is not what you accomplish in life it is what you overcome....he was there nearly 15 years and won nearly 350 games and won at a 72% clip......with one all American and Jimmer is not in the NBA and I don't think anyone else. is...
                  Last edited by bartruff1; 08-20-2019, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• zagdontzig
                    Zag for Life
                    • Mar 2016

According to Wikipedia, BYU won at least one tournament game (excluding play-ins) five times in the shot-clock era: 1988, 1991, 1993, 2010, 2011. The common element of the last two was Rose, but also Jimmer Fredette, and even then, only got to the Sweet 16 once, and no further advancement until you go back to pre-shot-clock in 1981.

The statistics aren't very threatening. I think Pope is a capable coach who could win any game he coaches (see UVU at UK), but I don't see a consistent program flourishing here after the honeymoon period subsides.

*I hope Wade has a great career there. He's an awesome dude.
                    Originally posted by Reborn
                    Go Zags!!!
                    Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

• BBarton
                      Redshirt
                      • Aug 2015

I think that BYU will surprise many this year. The Childs suspension is going to make it difficult. I suspect that they will split with the Zags and the Gaels. The Zags don't really have the bigs that BYU does. Childs is a beast and Haws is crafty. Petrusev is a good player but scoring 25 points against the lads from Macedonia is not like playing the the MC.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                        Zag for Life
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by BBarton View Post
                        The Zags don't really have the bigs that BYU does

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2010

Um, you must be qualifying that statement with “experienced” bigs. The Zags have a bevy of highly ranked, highly touted bigs coming in.

Comment

• bdmiller7
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jun 2017

Originally posted by BBarton View Post
                            I think that BYU will surprise many this year. The Childs suspension is going to make it difficult. I suspect that they will split with the Zags and the Gaels. The Zags don't really have the bigs that BYU does. Childs is a beast and Haws is crafty. Petrusev is a good player but scoring 25 points against the lads from Macedonia is not like playing the the MC.
                            Hope I'm missing sarcasm here. Childs is good but the other 3 bigs on BYU's roster are Dalton Nixon, Gavin Baxter, and Kolby Lee who in 5 years of college ball combined have scored 446 points. None are over 6'9" either. BYU's frontcourt is their weakness this year and while I think they can be good, the loss of Childs for 9 games is going to kill their NCAA chances.

Comment

• BBarton
                              Redshirt
                              • Aug 2015

I think the combo of Childs and Baxter in the front court is going to be difficult for the the Zags to deal with. Baxter may be the best athlete in the WCC. The Zags will go as far as Tillie takes them. If he can stay healthy then they win the conference, if not St. Mary's could be the winner. Childs vs. Tillie is pretty much a wash. Baxter is better than Petrusev. The X factor is Coach Pope. The environment at BYU is night and day difference with a very hungry staff and players. Coach Rose admitted that he didn't have the drive the past 3 years. It should be interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X