Thread: BYU stepping up this year

Default BYU stepping up this year

BYU Basketball Looked Dangerous Against BC Silute In Italy
    https://247sports.com/college/byu/Ar...aly-134604286/
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

Top end of WCC is going to be TOUGH. Feel bad that the NCAA is going after a kid who RETURNED to school because of stupid paperwork. Rest assured, if Childs played for Koach or Roy... he'd have gotten a pass.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

nit

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    nit
    I'd be carefulll

Whole new coaching corps?

How many years have we talked "If they just played defense they'd be really really …"

Well, maybe the new sheriff in town gets down to defense as a priority?

Perhaps they'd be really really good.

Not saying they will, but they can definitely surprise.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    nit
    This is my guess too, but mostly because of Yoeli's suspension. They'll lose a couple games they would have won with him and it will cost them.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    This is my guess too, but mostly because of Yoeli's suspension. They'll lose a couple games they would have won with him and it will cost them.
    Hurts us too on paper

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I'd be carefulll

Whole new coaching corps?

How many years have we talked "If they just played defense they'd be really really …"

Well, maybe the new sheriff in town gets down to defense as a priority?

Perhaps they'd be really really good.

Not saying they will, but they can definitely surprise.
    Your right....new coach...but same old players....Wade a no show.....CBI...

Honestly, my gut says Rose May have been the problem all along. I’ll take a wait and see but I think you might be eating crow by the end... or I will
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

My gut says Rose was a miracle worker.....it is not what you accomplish in life it is what you overcome....he was there nearly 15 years and won nearly 350 games and won at a 72% clip......with one all American and Jimmer is not in the NBA and I don't think anyone else. is...
    Last edited by bartruff1; 08-20-2019 at 06:26 PM.

According to Wikipedia, BYU won at least one tournament game (excluding play-ins) five times in the shot-clock era: 1988, 1991, 1993, 2010, 2011. The common element of the last two was Rose, but also Jimmer Fredette, and even then, only got to the Sweet 16 once, and no further advancement until you go back to pre-shot-clock in 1981.

The statistics aren't very threatening. I think Pope is a capable coach who could win any game he coaches (see UVU at UK), but I don't see a consistent program flourishing here after the honeymoon period subsides.

*I hope Wade has a great career there. He's an awesome dude.

I think that BYU will surprise many this year. The Childs suspension is going to make it difficult. I suspect that they will split with the Zags and the Gaels. The Zags don't really have the bigs that BYU does. Childs is a beast and Haws is crafty. Petrusev is a good player but scoring 25 points against the lads from Macedonia is not like playing the the MC.

Quote Originally Posted by BBarton View Post
    The Zags don't really have the bigs that BYU does

Um, you must be qualifying that statement with “experienced” bigs. The Zags have a bevy of highly ranked, highly touted bigs coming in.

I think that BYU will surprise many this year. The Childs suspension is going to make it difficult. I suspect that they will split with the Zags and the Gaels. The Zags don't really have the bigs that BYU does. Childs is a beast and Haws is crafty. Petrusev is a good player but scoring 25 points against the lads from Macedonia is not like playing the the MC.
    Hope I'm missing sarcasm here. Childs is good but the other 3 bigs on BYU's roster are Dalton Nixon, Gavin Baxter, and Kolby Lee who in 5 years of college ball combined have scored 446 points. None are over 6'9" either. BYU's frontcourt is their weakness this year and while I think they can be good, the loss of Childs for 9 games is going to kill their NCAA chances.

I think the combo of Childs and Baxter in the front court is going to be difficult for the the Zags to deal with. Baxter may be the best athlete in the WCC. The Zags will go as far as Tillie takes them. If he can stay healthy then they win the conference, if not St. Mary's could be the winner. Childs vs. Tillie is pretty much a wash. Baxter is better than Petrusev. The X factor is Coach Pope. The environment at BYU is night and day difference with a very hungry staff and players. Coach Rose admitted that he didn't have the drive the past 3 years. It should be interesting.

I think the combo of Childs and Baxter in the front court is going to be difficult for the the Zags to deal with. Baxter may be the best athlete in the WCC. The Zags will go as far as Tillie takes them. If he can stay healthy then they win the conference, if not St. Mary's could be the winner. Childs vs. Tillie is pretty much a wash. Baxter is better than Petrusev. The X factor is Coach Pope. The environment at BYU is night and day difference with a very hungry staff and players. Coach Rose admitted that he didn't have the drive the past 3 years. It should be interesting.
    Did you know Gonzaga has four 4-star big men coming in this year? One of them might just do something too.

No doubt the Zags have some very good freshmen big men. One of them will need to step up and make an impact. My bet would be Timme will be the difference maker of the Freshman bigs.

Agree on Tillie and Childs being pretty equal, but I think Petrusev is a better player overall than Baxter. I agree he is athletic and can make a difference on d and catch some lobs and put backs, but his offense is really limited. After those two any combo of Timme, Watson, Ballo, Zakharov are miles ahead of BYU's bench. Nixon and Lee would be walk-ons at GU. With that being said i think BYU is a top 50 team next year and playing in Provo is going to be tough, wouldnt surprise me to lose there. I hope Childs suspension and Seljaas's broken foot dont doom BYU early in the season. Would love to see 3 WCC teams back in the NCAA tourney.

I wonder if Timme and either Zakharov or Ballo (or Watson) play so well and connected that they earn 15mpg together w Tillie and Petrusev playing 25 mpg and dominating.

Whatever big has best low post moves and passing skills that allows Few to surround him w shooters. Ravet, Kispert, Tillie likely to be Zags’ best shooters? Who else...
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

BYU will need good bench minutes next year because GU is deep down low and will wear teams out.

State of the Hoops Program: BYU’s hopes are high with the arrival of the energetic Mark Pope

https://theathletic.com/1200045/2019...tic-mark-pope/