Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I Don't Know

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Seems like the last few years have been slower in general than 5+ years earlier.
    Many people now just read rather than post. Not trying to get into a philosophical discussion about it, but much of it has to do with the negativity of the board. Not conjecture on my part, heard it from many posters privately via PM. Regardless of post numbers... I think the number of visitors has remained steady or increased over the years... but that is more a WAG than fact.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I'd say that's the right guess. I think about 6000 posts of mine were erased during the purge of the OCC.

With companies now wanting to see your social media history as a condition of employment, the reality is closing the OCC was a good thing.

I'm retired now, so it doesn't affect me.
    What is OCC? Sorry I have to ask.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Many people now just read rather than post. Not trying to get into a philosophical discussion about it, but much of it has to do with the negativity of the board. Not conjecture on my part, heard it from many posters privately via PM. Regardless of post numbers... I think the number of visitors has remained steady or increased over the years... but that is more a WAG than fact.
    Thanks for the explanation, LIZF. Appreciate it. It helps in understanding this a little more. Your explanation could
    possibly encourage some bloggers to be a little more positive. I'm all for free speech, but if it's driving people away from posting and participating more by writing on this board, then maybe we need to think twice before posting. I remember someone once said something like that. He said that it's a good thing to read over what we've written before posting because we might want to change a few things.

Have a good one. God bless

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    What is OCC? Sorry I have to ask.
    No problem, Bornie. It stood for Online Crosby Center. It was very active during the GW Bush years, and it could get rather heated at times. The mods did a heckuva job trying to minimize the personal attacks. It served its usefulness, and was accorded a quiet burial.

Engaging in tit-for-tat arguments grows tedious after awhile. Much of it may be generational, such as those of us who graduated long before 1999 vs. those who have never seen the Zags NOT make the Dance.

Neverending, relentless negativity wears me out, and I'll leave it at that.

As you can see, I have been a board member for awhile yet I have seldom posted even though I visit most everyday. My experience with posting has been that I am either ignored or someone attacks my posts which begs the question why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    No problem, Bornie. It stood for Online Crosby Center. It was very active during the GW Bush years, and it could get rather heated at times. The mods did a heckuva job trying to minimize the personal attacks. It served its usefulness, and was accorded a quiet burial.
    More like stealthily... Kinda like coming out of hyperspace and finding Alderan gone. I feel sorry for the hitman/funeral director.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by TheBunnieRancher View Post
    As you can see, I have been a board member for awhile yet I have seldom posted even though I visit most everyday. My experience with posting has been that I am either ignored or someone attacks my posts which begs the question why bother?
    Sounds like most marriages...damned if you do, damned if you don't.

ETA: I scanned the first page of your forum posts. I didn't see anything worthy of being attacked for. I also noticed that many/most of your posts had to do with recruiting/potential recruits, now known as the Whelping Box. Speaking only for myself, I rarely visit the Whelping Box, as I prefer to spend my time on this forum.

My usual advice is to don't take my advice, but if you want to post something, go ahead and post it. Out of my nearly 8400 posts over the past 12 years, it's likely that a few dozen had value, the rest were inane ramblings sprinkled with a few pictures of Big D, my grandson.

More like stealthily... Kinda like coming out of hyperspace and finding Alderan gone. I feel sorry for the hitman/funeral director.
    There was no doubt a disturbance in the Force when the OCC disappeared. Maybe it will be addressed in Star Wars #43.

Welcome back.

Consider this, even if you're not getting comments/replies on some, a lot of people still read and consider.

Regardless, you are appreciated, reading or commenting.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I enjoy watching the recruiting front which is why I opened a Twitter account but I never get to amped about any single recruiting lead until they commit. I also try to give the Freshman a break because they are generally inconsistent as a rule but enjoyable to watch as they explore the college game with new found enthusiasm. We have a lot of young front court players this year which is good because young front court player tend to be foul prone.

I enjoy watching the recruiting front which is why I opened a Twitter account but I never get to amped about any single recruiting lead until they commit. I also try to give the Freshman a break because they are generally inconsistent as a rule but enjoyable to watch as they explore the college game with new found enthusiasm. We have a lot of young front court players this year which is good because young front court player tend to be foul prone.

Great advice and a good idea.

In this day of instant stars like "Zion" it is very easy to get impatient.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Will be interesting to see who Redshirts based on everyone's performances this summer my money is Martynas Arlauskas and Pavel Zahkarov. Martynas looked real green in the FIBA tournament and with as crowded as the Zags front court is either Pavel or Ballo will sit. Ballo looks real strong in the paint so I'd be shocked is Pavel beats him out for that back up center role.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    Will be interesting to see who Redshirts based on everyone's performances this summer my money is Martynas Arlauskas and Pavel Zahkarov. Martynas looked real green in the FIBA tournament and with as crowded as the Zags front court is either Pavel or Ballo will sit. Ballo looks real strong in the paint so I'd be shocked is Pavel beats him out for that back up center role.
    I agree - I think the only way Arlauskas doesn't RS is if the Zags desperately need another ball handler at the 2/3 spot. Ravet or Ayayi's progress could make that a non-issue or a glaring weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I agree - I think the only way Arlauskas doesn't RS is if the Zags desperately need another ball handler at the 2/3 spot. Ravet or Ayayi's progress could make that a non-issue or a glaring weakness.
    Remember we have two grad transfers at Guard and Admon Gilder is going to be a beast next year if he has been putting in the work on the off season. A lot of people forget that Admon was the highest rated grad transfer guard. Ryan Woolridge is also a very capable ball handler averaging a hair under 6 assists last season. I worry about Ryan ability to shoot the ball but he is great at putting the ball on the deck and taking it to the cup.

The problems for me is that Gilder is coming off a serious injury. I think Woolridge is too. And neither of these have played in a Zag uniform. I am pretty high on Gilder, because there have been other grad transfers who have played well at Gonzaga at the guard position. Now concerning Woolridge we have never had a grad transfer play point guard, and as has been said, he is not a good outside shooter. I see Ravet starting because he's deadly from the outside. And we need that to keep offenses honest. Woolridge could be a good backup. I hope so. Ayayi could break out this season, and I"m hoping he is. I think like many of us, we are really hoping he can become a threat to the teams we play. He has experience and has matured. This could be the breakout year for him.

I have a lot of confidence in our Post players. They will be our strength. As I've said before, I believe Arlauskas will play.

But I still don't know!!!

Go Zags!!!

Really depends on what Few is looking for at the point --- in Woolridge "he’s not a great shooter, but is a good slasher, a great distributor, and a very strong defender." In Ravet he can score great --- but not a great defender and not really known as a big assist guy. We should have a good amount of scoring across the board -- is the defense where it makes a difference or a 3 pt shooter Woolridge is a 33.5% 3 pt shooter on his college career -- still waiting to see how Ravets stroke does in the college game. One player has handled D1 presure and ran a D1 team -- one will be learning the next step in his career. I am ok with whoever earns the nod to start at point and it may change by year end.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    In Ravet he can score great --- but not a great defender and not really known as a big assist guy.
    Ravet averaged nine assists for Kittitas. I would say his ball handling and passing are his strongest assets, although that opinion is based on one live viewing last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Really depends on what Few is looking for at the point --- in Woolridge "he’s not a great shooter, but is a good slasher, a great distributor, and a very strong defender." In Ravet he can score great --- but not a great defender and not really known as a big assist guy. We should have a good amount of scoring across the board -- is the defense where it makes a difference or a 3 pt shooter Woolridge is a 33.5% 3 pt shooter on his college career -- still waiting to see how Ravets stroke does in the college game. One player has handled D1 presure and ran a D1 team -- one will be learning the next step in his career. I am ok with whoever earns the nod to start at point and it may change by year end.
    I've seen Ravet play a few times, and I've said this several times, he is a GREAT passer, and a GREAT ball handler. Great!!! But it's just my opinion. When I've seen him play, teams not only double teamed him, two guys waiting for him at half-court, and they COULDN'T stop him, not stop his dribble or stop him from passing to the open player. I've seen him triple teamed and was able to score. I've seen him throw 3/4 length bullet passes to speedy players down court. Our bigs who can run the floor will be happy with Ravet's passing ability. Can a guy coming from a very small school really make it in D-1? It's a good question. My answer is yes!!! If he's a special player.

Default I've got a question

What's the difference between a four star and a five when rating a something that has been posted here?

What's the difference between a four star and a five when rating a something that has been posted here?
    you can rate posts?

I've seen Ravet play a few times, and I've said this several times, he is a GREAT passer, and a GREAT ball handler. Great!!! But it's just my opinion. When I've seen him play, teams not only double teamed him, two guys waiting for him at half-court, and they COULDN'T stop him, not stop his dribble or stop him from passing to the open player. I've seen him triple teamed and was able to score. I've seen him throw 3/4 length bullet passes to speedy players down court. Our bigs who can run the floor will be happy with Ravet's passing ability. Can a guy coming from a very small school really make it in D-1? It's a good question. My answer is yes!!! If he's a special player.
    I'll be interested to see if high schoolers are going to have a hard time adjusting to the new three point line in college. It was already further than the high school line but this year its moving back a foot. I don't know if the college players will adjust to it quicker or if everyone's numbers are going to be worse from downtown.

Remember we have two grad transfers at Guard and Admon Gilder is going to be a beast next year if he has been putting in the work on the off season. A lot of people forget that Admon was the highest rated grad transfer guard. Ryan Woolridge is also a very capable ball handler averaging a hair under 6 assists last season. I worry about Ryan ability to shoot the ball but he is great at putting the ball on the deck and taking it to the cup.
    I'm 100% agreeing with you!

Those two guys, plus Kispert, plus Ayayi, plus (likely) Watson, plus (likely) Ravet will all be ahead of Arlauskas in minutes in the backcourt.

It's why I see Arluaskas as a likely redshirt candidate unless he is a surprisingly capable "2" or "3" and Ayayi/Watson are not.

I'll be interested to see if high schoolers are going to have a hard time adjusting to the new three point line in college. It was already further than the high school line but this year its moving back a foot. I don't know if the college players will adjust to it quicker or if everyone's numbers are going to be worse from downtown.
    I can tell ya there's one guard who won't be bothered at all. Ravet. He loves to shoot it from down town. Have you seen videos yet of him shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I'm 100% agreeing with you!

Those two guys, plus Kispert, plus Ayayi, plus (likely) Watson, plus (likely) Ravet will all be ahead of Arlauskas in minutes in the backcourt.

It's why I see Arluaskas as a likely redshirt candidate unless he is a surprisingly capable "2" or "3" and Ayayi/Watson are not.
    I just can't see any other guard other than Arluaskas redshirting. Few has never run really more than 4 deep on the bench so it seems likely that 2 people will end up redshirting or burning a year of eligibility riding the bench. He's also never had this good of a freshman class so I don't know.