Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 115

Thread: I Don't Know

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I can tell ya there's one guard who won't be bothered at all. Ravet. He loves to shoot it from down town. Have you seen videos yet of him shooting?
    Dudes a stud!! Definitely under recruited and under ranked. I think he is a better player than RaeQuan Battle (commited to UW) and is ranked way lower.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,918

    Default

    Brock could b in Stevens County and still make 3s
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I can tell ya there's one guard who won't be bothered at all. Ravet. He loves to shoot it from down town. Have you seen videos yet of him shooting?

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    I just can't see any other guard other than Arluaskas redshirting. Few has never run really more than 4 deep on the bench so it seems likely that 2 people will end up redshirting or burning a year of eligibility riding the bench. He's also never had this good of a freshman class so I don't know.
    He had Tillie, Collins, Rui, norvell, and Larsen. (Last 2 redshirted)

    If this freshman class is as good as even the first 3, I'll be really amazed.

    But overall I think we agree about Arlauskas as the only backcourt RS candidate. If he redshirts, I wonder if we will ever see a backcourt with 3 of:[ Gilder /Woolridge / Ayayi /Ravet] (my implied question is can Watson or anyone other than Kispert play much at the "3"?)

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    He had Tillie, Collins, Rui, norvell, and Larsen. (Last 2 redshirted)

    If this freshman class is as good as even the first 3, I'll be really amazed.

    But overall I think we agree about Arlauskas as the only backcourt RS candidate. If he redshirts, I wonder if we will ever see a backcourt with 3 of:[ Gilder /Woolridge / Ayayi /Ravet] (my implied question is can Watson or anyone other than Kispert play much at the "3"?)
    And Rui didn't really break out until this last season. But I think this class will be better than that solid group of guys, only time will tell. Shooting Guards can easily slide into the "3" spot. 6 guys for three position is about what you want. When you start getting 7 guys for three spot someone will be forced to take the garbage minutes much like Ayayi and Foster last year. Perkins started at the "3" before he got ninja kicked to the face because he was behind bell and pangos.

    The same thing goes for the bigs. Obviously Tille and Petrusev will get the most minutes, throw in Ballo and Timme and you have five regular subs which is still more than Few likes to play with.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    7,956

    Default

    Brocks most recent season of AAU stats --(8 games) avg 12 pts, 2 boards, 2.88 assists, 35% from three, 39% FG%-- if he hit these numbers his first year of college that would be great-- but I expect he will have a period of acclimating and by the end of the year will probably be a solid contributor.

    https://basketball.realgm.com/player...Summary/132426

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    Perkins started at the "3" before he got ninja kicked to the face because he was behind bell and pangos.

    Wesley started all year. Perkins came off the bench for 20 minutes a game, subbing mostly for Bell and Pangos.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seattle, spokane
    Posts
    3,095

    Default

    tinfoilzag said "One of the biggest stories for GU's off-season this year is injuries (Gilder, Woolridge, Tillie)"
    Did I miss something?
    Is Tillie injured again, or are we talking about lingering injuries from last season?

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Hill
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    tinfoilzag said "One of the biggest stories for GU's off-season this year is injuries (Gilder, Woolridge, Tillie)"

    Did I miss something? Is Tillie injured again, or are we talking about lingering injuries from last season?
    I didn't mean to imply Tillie had another injury besides the ones that kept him out of the regular season, tournament, and combine. Injuries will always be a story with Tillie until he can put a few seasons together without a major one.
    Quit social media. You'll be better for it.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    747

    Default

    With the quality of recruits were are getting this year, we won't get 4 years out of many players. For that reason I think red shirting is a wasted year. With so many new players, we can use all hands on deck to minimize foul trouble. I'm guessing the only possible red shirts this year would be Watson and/or Arlauskus, but I would love to have the depth they offer this year.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Wesley started all year. Perkins came off the bench for 20 minutes a game, subbing mostly for Bell and Pangos.
    Right you are. My mistake.

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    And Rui didn't really break out until this last season.
    The year before that "breakout" (Rui's sophomore year) he was first team all conference, lead the entire team in points during WCC play despite mostly coming off the bench, and also lead the team in points per 40 minutes played all season.


    All 5 top overall scorers that year were within a 1.8 points per game span. But Rui got his points starting just 2 games and averaging far fewer minutes than J3/Melson/Perks/Tillie/Norvell.

    I'd call that a breakout, and would be interested in a definition that would exclude Rui's season.


    Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    6 guys for three positions [1-3] is about what you want.
    GU hasn't had more than 4 guys getting real minutes at the 1-3 spots since 2014-2015 season. Every year since then it's been 4 guys. Last year was sort of "4.5" if you count some of Jones' minutes at the 3.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    The year before that "breakout" (Rui's sophomore year) he was first team all conference, lead the entire team in points during WCC play despite mostly coming off the bench, and also lead the team in points per 40 minutes played all season.


    All 5 top overall scorers that year were within a 1.8 points per game span. But Rui got his points starting just 2 games and averaging far fewer minutes than J3/Melson/Perks/Tillie/Norvell.

    I'd call that a breakout, and would be interested in a definition that would exclude Rui's season.




    GU hasn't had more than 4 guys getting real minutes at the 1-3 spots since 2014-2015 season. Every year since then it's been 4 guys. Last year was sort of "4.5" if you count some of Jones' minutes at the 3.
    Even though Rui played 20 MPG and averaged 12 PPG you could tell he still wasn't there yet. His 3 point shot was abysmal at 19% and was consistently a defensive liability (dropping switches and not boxing out). I consider Rui's breakout season to be this last year because he was finally receiving national attention and figuring the game/language out enough that he could stay on the floor. If you look at his FG% it was pretty consistent over his three years in terms of 2 point percentage it was almost exact. It was Rui's 3 point shooting and defensive improvement that allowed him to earn more minutes ad become the star we witnessed last year.

    That was my point earlier on why I think 2 players will redshirt. Few doesn't run a long bench which means 9 guys usually get all the minutes. I do count Jones last year because he played meaningful minutes. I don't count Foster(who should have redshirted) and Ayayi.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    With the quality of recruits were are getting this year, we won't get 4 years out of many players. For that reason I think red shirting is a wasted year. With so many new players, we can use all hands on deck to minimize foul trouble. I'm guessing the only possible red shirts this year would be Watson and/or Arlauskus, but I would love to have the depth they offer this year.
    The glaciers will grow back to 1970's size before Watson redshirts.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    The glaciers will grow back to 1970's size before Watson redshirts.
    Agreed!

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    747

    Default

    The glaciers will grow back to 1970's size before Watson redshirts.

    I really, really hope you are correct Maynard, but it is being discussed.

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    The glaciers will grow back to 1970's size before Watson redshirts.

    I really, really hope you are correct Maynard, but it is being discussed.
    I don't have inside information on this but it seems really hard to believe Watson is even being considered for a redshirt season. The kid was in the last cut for his age group national team two years in a row. Meaning he is one of the top 20 kids in the country in his class. If the Zags have enough talent to essentially cut him this season, I'll be looking into a ticket to Atlanta come spring.

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Assuming no major injuries - does anyone want to try and guess at the relative ranking of minutes per game? (not absolute minutes)

    Here's my stab:

    1 - Gilder
    2 - Kispert
    3 - Woolridge
    4 - Tillie
    5 - Petrusev

    6 - Timme
    7 - Ayayi
    8 - Watson
    9 - Ballo
    10 -Ravet


    Zakharov
    Arlauskas

    Walkon players

    (Ravet could jump Watson and Ballo if we simply need a backup PG/SG to take some minutes)

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    17,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    I don't have inside information on this but it seems really hard to believe Watson is even being considered for a redshirt season.
    I suspect that's because he's not.

    I mean, I don't have any info, but he's one of the ones people say might be bound for the league. They tend to not sit out a season.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Assuming no major injuries - does anyone want to try and guess at the relative ranking of minutes per game? (not absolute minutes)

    Here's my stab:

    1 - Gilder
    2 - Kispert
    3 - Woolridge
    4 - Tillie
    5 - Petrusev

    6 - Timme
    7 - Ayayi
    8 - Watson
    9 - Ballo
    10 -Ravet


    Zakharov
    Arlauskas

    Walkon players

    (Ravet could jump Watson and Ballo if we simply need a backup PG/SG to take some minutes)
    1 - Kispert
    2 - Gilder
    3 - Ayayi
    4 - Petrusev
    5 - Tillie

    6 - Timme
    7 - Ballo
    8 - Watson
    9 - Woolridge
    10 -Zakharov
    11 -Ravet

    Arlauskas

    Here's what I came up with it. Its actually quite entertaining to think about. I think they are going to limit Tille's minutes as much as possible to try to avoid more injuries... I think Timme will absorb most of these minutes. I see Ravet showing alot of future promise but ultimately picking up most garbage minutes off the bench. Because we only have 12 players on scholarship, Arlauskas will take a redshirt and Pavel and Ballo will be battling for the back up to petrusev five spot but in the end Ballo will win the majority of the minutes. I think Petrusev will lose alot of minutes due to foul trouble.

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Zag Nation, baybee!
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    Here's what I came up with it. Its actually quite entertaining to think about. I think they are going to limit Tille's minutes as much as possible to try to avoid more injuries... I think Timme will absorb most of these minutes.
    I will agree with this 100%. Play Tils 20 minutes and Drew 20 minutes (basically have each one be each others backup).

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Edgewood, WA
    Posts
    1,432

    Default

    I think Tillie came back to make a statement and get a shot at the League. I think they'll turn him loose, not hold him at 20 minutes just to spare him an injury. Being able to play 28 minutes per game + 30 games this next season is probably worth a million to five million dollars for him. If they sit him to avoid injury, they send a bad message and essentially screw him over for coming back.

    1. Kispert
    2. Ayayi
    3. Gilder
    4. Tillie
    5. Timme
    6. Petrusev
    7. Woolridge

    8. Watson
    9. Ravet
    10. Ballo
    11. Sakharov

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    2,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    Assuming no major injuries - does anyone want to try and guess at the relative ranking of minutes per game? (not absolute minutes)

    Here's my stab:

    1 - Gilder
    2 - Kispert
    3 - Woolridge
    4 - Tillie
    5 - Petrusev

    6 - Timme
    7 - Ayayi
    8 - Watson
    9 - Ballo
    10 -Ravet


    Zakharov
    Arlauskas

    Walkon players

    (Ravet could jump Watson and Ballo if we simply need a backup PG/SG to take some minutes)
    Fun speculating about minutes w all this talent but as Rebornís OP points out: the lack of any insider info all summer long about who looks good in scrimmages, who is even on campus and working out together + info about how all the key pieces coming back from injuries (Tillie; Gilder; Woolridge) are doing (are they all even cleared to play and scrimmage yet) makes it even more of a guessing game than usual.

    Having said that, I like your guesstimated top 10 guys for minutes this season but hope Ravet proves ready to be more in the 6-8 range. My understanding is Woolridge and Ravet are only true PGs on the roster (Gilder could maybe help there but definitely not his best role, and I donít see Ayayi being an answer at PG...ever). Ravet needs to earn regular minutes if this team doesnít want itís entire season to hinge on a single PG coming off a major injury (Woolridge).
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Fun speculating about minutes w all this talent but as Rebornís OP points out: the lack of any insider info all summer long about who looks good in scrimmages, who is even on campus and working out together + info about how all the key pieces coming back from injuries (Tillie; Gilder; Woolridge) are doing (are they all even cleared to play and scrimmage yet) makes it even more of a guessing game than usual.

    Having said that, I like your guesstimated top 10 guys for minutes this season but hope Ravet proves ready to be more in the 6-8 range. My understanding is Woolridge and Ravet are only true PGs on the roster (Gilder could maybe help there but definitely not his best role, and I donít see Ayayi being an answer at PG...ever). Ravet needs to earn regular minutes if this team doesnít want itís entire season to hinge on a single PG coming off a major injury (Woolridge).
    Agreed about PG mins probably going to Woolridge+Ravet.

    It makes me wonder about the prediction from Mgadfly which has neither in the top 6. Maybe he's thinking or hoping gilder converts to PG.

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Fun speculating about minutes w all this talent but as Reborn’s OP points out: the lack of any insider info all summer long about who looks good in scrimmages, who is even on campus and working out together + info about how all the key pieces coming back from injuries (Tillie; Gilder; Woolridge) are doing (are they all even cleared to play and scrimmage yet) makes it even more of a guessing game than usual.

    Having said that, I like your guesstimated top 10 guys for minutes this season but hope Ravet proves ready to be more in the 6-8 range. My understanding is Woolridge and Ravet are only true PGs on the roster (Gilder could maybe help there but definitely not his best role, and I don’t see Ayayi being an answer at PG...ever). Ravet needs to earn regular minutes if this team doesn’t want it’s entire season to hinge on a single PG coming off a major injury (Woolridge).
    I can promise you that all the freshman are on campus. New student orientation started on the 23rd and classes begin on the 27th. I would imagine all the other players are on campus putting in work in the gym but if they aren't they will be tomorrow.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,520

    Default

    Right now about all I can say is I'm glad we have twelve very good players. Let's see! How many players are coming off injuries? Tillie, Gilder, Woolridge, Arlauskas. Are these players going to be able to play at the 100% level? How long will they be able to play before they are reinjured?

    The other confusing thing about LTownzag's question regarding playing time is "does he mean the playing time at the beginning of the season?" Or does he mean "minutes played by the end of the OOC schedule?" Or "minutes played by the end of the year?" I mention this because I believe that the "average minutes played" is going to change several times between the beginning of the year, by the beginning of conference play, and by the beginning of the conference tournament. If there ever was a year that the "minutes played" at the beginning of the year was insignificant, it is this year. It really doesn't matter how we rank them right now because I can almost guarantee you that it's going to change probably several times.

    Because of the number of players who are coming off injuries, I don't think anyone will red-shirt. I'm really not sure how Few is going to manage the minutes played, but I'm thinking they all will be playing at some point and in some games. It's one thing to perform in practice and another to perform in real games. So I think all of the players will be given a chance to play in games. I also don't know how much of a difference there is between Timme and Ballo, or Ballo and Zakharov? Or the difference between Arlauskas and Watson?

    Having said all of this, here are my guesses (My guesses are only for the minutes played in our OOC games):

    Kispert, Watson, Gilder, Timme: Between 25-30 minutes
    Tillie, Petrusev, Woolridge around 20 minutes
    Ayayi, Ravet around 15 minutes
    Ballo, Arlauskas, Zacharov ten minutes.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •