• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

I Don't Know

I don't think that I've ever been this much "in the dark" about any previous Gonzaga team since 2000. There are 7 new guys who will be playing for GU this year, and yet it seems like no one who blogs here on GUBoards has ever seen any of them play since they've been at Gonzaga this summer. I am lost when it comes to understanding why there has really only been one post by someone on this board that tells us about these guys. For me, this forum, this summer, has been the most boring (by far) then I've ever seen it. There seems to be as much reporting about St Mary's as there is about the Zag players. I don't understand why threads about St Mary's or about the WCC logo have made there way onto the Gonzaga Men's Basketball Forum. Articles about St Mary's, BYU, or even the WCC NEED to be put onto forums where they belong. If I want to read threads about St Mary's or BYU, I'd go to other forums to read about them. But there is so LITTLE written about our boys, that it now seems we have to read about our rivals on OUR forum.

I'm sorry for this negative vibe about something that I've come to love over the years. But I just feel that putting information about other WCC teams on the Gonzaga Men's Basketball Forum just deludes the greatness that this forum has been for so many years. I'm not sure why no one over in Spokane has written about watching the boys play during the summer camps. I believe that this is a first. I'm not sure what this means. Is it a lack of interest? I mean, there are so many new players that it would have been nice to have been able to read about how these guys look, while they're at Gonzaga playing together. We've all seen so much tape of them playing for their high schools or AAU teams, or FIBA. But it's different to see them live at Gonzaga playing against each other. I imagine that The Kraziness in The Kennel this year will be jam packed because it'll probably be the first time anyone has seen them play at Gonzaga. I'm talking about scrimmages.

ps I wish ZagNative's post on the Scholarship Table for June '19 could be put of the Sticky Board so it is easy to access and we are able to look up the information this table provides for us. I like to refer to this Table often, and I have to look for it, and sometimes that takes a long time to find it.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • strikenowhere
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2009

Yeah completely agree...the news about pretty much anything directly related to Gonzaga basketball has slowed to a trickle...I was definitely at least hoping for some scrimmage reports!

On a related note, when is the basketball dinner thingy? I believe that is normally a source of some useful staff info regarding the status of the players.

Comment

• Zags11
      Banned
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
      Yeah completely agree...the news about pretty much anything directly related to Gonzaga basketball has slowed to a trickle...I was definitely at least hoping for some scrimmage reports!

On a related note, when is the basketball dinner thingy? I believe that is normally a source of some useful staff info regarding the status of the players.
      You mean the banquet at end of year? They didnt have it this yr. If you mean something else then idk.

Yes the news has been slow and i wonder if it is because people think this team isnt that good? However its summer and people are outside more so it could be anything.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2009

It has only been a handful of people that have been able to attend summer pickup games and report in the past, so it seems sort of coincidental that no one could make it this summer. If hundreds of people used to go and repoirt and it went to nothing, I could see the issue. But that doesn't seem to be the case imo.

As to discussion of conference rivals, I enjoy seeing that stuff, especially during the slow time of year, and think the mods do a good job of moving it when appropriate.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

What's with the 1 star? That's BS!!!

Comment

• willandi
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
            What's with the 1 star? That's BS!!!
            I agree. I think with Timme, Kispert and Ballo we will have at least 3 stars, and could easily have 7-8! LOL
            Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• basketballzag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

I agree with Reborn--the trickle of info that everyone is used to has dried up. The AD better start finding a way to let some info out to excite the masses otherwise the fans will turn to something else to capture their attention and neglect the basketball program entirely.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2010

Sure, it’s be nice to have inside intel on the team, scrimmages, etc. However, the idle talk about the WCC and SMC is because of a lack of other pertinent information. Would you rather have utter silence from the forum along with stale threads? It’s not as though these semi off-topic threads are preventing other information from being disseminated. I, for one, see no problem with the presence of these threads until such time as there is something better to talk about. Right now, there isn’t.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
                  Sure, it’s be nice to have inside intel on the team, scrimmages, etc. However, the idle talk about the WCC and SMC is because of a lack of other pertinent information. Would you rather have utter silence from the forum along with stale threads? It’s not as though these semi off-topic threads are preventing other information from being disseminated. I, for one, see no problem with the presence of these threads until such time as there is something better to talk about. Right now, there isn’t.
                  I'm sure 99% of the board relishes it when there's utter silence from the Lone Star State.

Comment

• zag buddy
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2007

You are right, it should be a very exciting year. For myself I would blame golf and old age. I have great intentions to go watch in the morning and by evening my energy level has disappeared. I could make a good case for more drugs for old folks. Maybe I will just wander out on the ice.

Comment

• zagbeliever
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                      I don't think that I've ever been this much "in the dark" about any previous Gonzaga team since 2000. There are 7 new guys who will be playing for GU this year, and yet it seems like no one who blogs here on GUBoards has ever seen any of them play since they've been at Gonzaga this summer. I am lost when it comes to understanding why there has really only been one post by someone on this board that tells us about these guys. For me, this forum, this summer, has been the most boring (by far) then I've ever seen it. There seems to be as much reporting about St Mary's as there is about the Zag players. I don't understand why threads about St Mary's or about the WCC logo have made there way onto the Gonzaga Men's Basketball Forum. Articles about St Mary's, BYU, or even the WCC NEED to be put onto forums where they belong. If I want to read threads about St Mary's or BYU, I'd go to other forums to read about them. But there is so LITTLE written about our boys, that it now seems we have to read about our rivals on OUR forum.

I'm sorry for this negative vibe about something that I've come to love over the years. But I just feel that putting information about other WCC teams on the Gonzaga Men's Basketball Forum just deludes the greatness that this forum has been for so many years. I'm not sure why no one over in Spokane has written about watching the boys play during the summer camps. I believe that this is a first. I'm not sure what this means. Is it a lack of interest? I mean, there are so many new players that it would have been nice to have been able to read about how these guys look, while they're at Gonzaga playing together. We've all seen so much tape of them playing for their high schools or AAU teams, or FIBA. But it's different to see them live at Gonzaga playing against each other. I imagine that The Kraziness in The Kennel this year will be jam packed because it'll probably be the first time anyone has seen them play at Gonzaga. I'm talking about scrimmages.

ps I wish ZagNative's post on the Scholarship Table for June '19 could be put of the Sticky Board so it is easy to access and we are able to look up the information this table provides for us. I like to refer to this Table often, and I have to look for it, and sometimes that takes a long time to find it.
                      I pretty much agree with everything in this post. I really wish we had a few tidbits on how the new team is clicking personally and with practice. Also there is a section for other teams in the WCC. I don't like them on our main board but that is jmho, no offense intended to those of you who do.

Comment

• RenoZag
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                        It is pinned to the top of "The Whelping Box" forum.
                        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• RenoZag
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by basketballzag View Post
                          I agree with Reborn--the trickle of info that everyone is used to has dried up. The AD better start finding a way to let some info out to excite the masses otherwise the fans will turn to something else to capture their attention and neglect the basketball program entirely.

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• RenoZag
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post

In seasons past, there have been late fall gatherings sponsored by various Alumni chapters which have featured comments from coaches on the upcoming season that make their way to the GUB. Those events typically happen closer to the start of the season.

Comment

• GonzaGAW
                              Zag for Life
                              • Aug 2012

- reborn, response too 2 points you make.
                              - #1, lack of posts about gu, and much about the wcc and other teams........agree. this summer has been rather dry in information and or discussion excitement.
                              - #2, in the dark about this team, more so than since 2000, what with seven new players coming in this season. I point you to our 2016-17 national runner up team.
                              - we had 10 players who had not seen a Gonzaga basketball court the year before.
                              - karnowski had missed all but a few games from the year before, question was would he be the same player he had been before the back surgery. we had jw3 and nwg eligible after sitting out one year, we had super transfer Jordan Matthews coming on board. we had 5 new freshman, Collins, Tillie, larsen, rui and norvell (yes Larsen and norvell redshirted, but going into the season we did not know that). plus we had jeremy jones as a walk on. that is 10 new faces, not playing the year before.
                              - I personally see this years team, much as I did the 2016-17 team......i.e. lots of new faces, but lots of excitement about great possibilities. I recall most of the pundits saying coach few had his most talented team ever and that was before the first tip off.
                              - unknowns with this team, sure but, what do we know? we know what gilder and woolridge can bring, they have a proven track record. albeit both coming off injury (like karnowski).
                              - ravet and Watson are home grown, we know very much what skills they have. will it transfer to div. 1? the unknown. but we are not in the dark as to what they have done on the court.
                              - ballo and others have been seen extensively in this summers world u-18 tournament, and come with top 50-60 rankings.
                              - timmie has lots of tape, most fans believe we have a game changer and all wcc player and perhaps more in him.

- so yes lots of unknowns, who will start? who will redshirt? are injuries behind us? how will team mesh together?...........but I think this team could be coach few's most talented team, or as talented as the 2016-17 team.

- I'm excited, what are we like 50 days of so until craziness in the kennel? bring it on!

Comment

Working...
                              X