• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Markburn1
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by amaronizag View Post
    The glaciers will grow back to 1970's size before Watson redshirts.

I really, really hope you are correct Maynard, but it is being discussed.
    I don't have inside information on this but it seems really hard to believe Watson is even being considered for a redshirt season. The kid was in the last cut for his age group national team two years in a row. Meaning he is one of the top 20 kids in the country in his class. If the Zags have enough talent to essentially cut him this season, I'll be looking into a ticket to Atlanta come spring.

Comment

• LTownZag
      Banned
      • Mar 2017

Assuming no major injuries - does anyone want to try and guess at the relative ranking of minutes per game? (not absolute minutes)

Here's my stab:

1 - Gilder
      2 - Kispert
      3 - Woolridge
      4 - Tillie
      5 - Petrusev

6 - Timme
      7 - Ayayi
      8 - Watson
      9 - Ballo
      10 -Ravet

Zakharov
      Arlauskas

Walkon players

(Ravet could jump Watson and Ballo if we simply need a backup PG/SG to take some minutes)

Comment

• DZ
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Markburn1 View Post
        I don't have inside information on this but it seems really hard to believe Watson is even being considered for a redshirt season.
        I suspect that's because he's not.

I mean, I don't have any info, but he's one of the ones people say might be bound for the league. They tend to not sit out a season.
        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
        Mark Twain.

Comment

• ZagRecruitWatch
          Kennel Club Alum
          • Jul 2019

Originally posted by LTownZag View Post
          Assuming no major injuries - does anyone want to try and guess at the relative ranking of minutes per game? (not absolute minutes)

Here's my stab:

1 - Gilder
          2 - Kispert
          3 - Woolridge
          4 - Tillie
          5 - Petrusev

6 - Timme
          7 - Ayayi
          8 - Watson
          9 - Ballo
          10 -Ravet

Zakharov
          Arlauskas

Walkon players

(Ravet could jump Watson and Ballo if we simply need a backup PG/SG to take some minutes)
          1 - Kispert
          2 - Gilder
          3 - Ayayi
          4 - Petrusev
          5 - Tillie

6 - Timme
          7 - Ballo
          8 - Watson
          9 - Woolridge
          10 -Zakharov
          11 -Ravet

Arlauskas

Here's what I came up with it. Its actually quite entertaining to think about. I think they are going to limit Tille's minutes as much as possible to try to avoid more injuries... I think Timme will absorb most of these minutes. I see Ravet showing alot of future promise but ultimately picking up most garbage minutes off the bench. Because we only have 12 players on scholarship, Arlauskas will take a redshirt and Pavel and Ballo will be battling for the back up to petrusev five spot but in the end Ballo will win the majority of the minutes. I think Petrusev will lose alot of minutes due to foul trouble.

Comment

• SorenTodd45
            Banned
            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
            Here's what I came up with it. Its actually quite entertaining to think about. I think they are going to limit Tille's minutes as much as possible to try to avoid more injuries... I think Timme will absorb most of these minutes.
            I will agree with this 100%. Play Tils 20 minutes and Drew 20 minutes (basically have each one be each others backup).

Comment

• mgadfly
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

I think Tillie came back to make a statement and get a shot at the League. I think they'll turn him loose, not hold him at 20 minutes just to spare him an injury. Being able to play 28 minutes per game + 30 games this next season is probably worth a million to five million dollars for him. If they sit him to avoid injury, they send a bad message and essentially screw him over for coming back.

1. Kispert
              2. Ayayi
              3. Gilder
              4. Tillie
              5. Timme
              6. Petrusev
              7. Woolridge

8. Watson
              9. Ravet
              10. Ballo
              11. Sakharov

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Here's my stab:

1 - Gilder
                2 - Kispert
                3 - Woolridge
                4 - Tillie
                5 - Petrusev

6 - Timme
                7 - Ayayi
                8 - Watson
                9 - Ballo
                10 -Ravet

Zakharov
                Arlauskas

Walkon players

Fun speculating about minutes w all this talent but as Reborn’s OP points out: the lack of any insider info all summer long about who looks good in scrimmages, who is even on campus and working out together + info about how all the key pieces coming back from injuries (Tillie; Gilder; Woolridge) are doing (are they all even cleared to play and scrimmage yet) makes it even more of a guessing game than usual.

Having said that, I like your guesstimated top 10 guys for minutes this season but hope Ravet proves ready to be more in the 6-8 range. My understanding is Woolridge and Ravet are only true PGs on the roster (Gilder could maybe help there but definitely not his best role, and I don’t see Ayayi being an answer at PG...ever). Ravet needs to earn regular minutes if this team doesn’t want it’s entire season to hinge on a single PG coming off a major injury (Woolridge).
                Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• LTownZag
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2017

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
                  Fun speculating about minutes w all this talent but as Reborn’s OP points out: the lack of any insider info all summer long about who looks good in scrimmages, who is even on campus and working out together + info about how all the key pieces coming back from injuries (Tillie; Gilder; Woolridge) are doing (are they all even cleared to play and scrimmage yet) makes it even more of a guessing game than usual.

Having said that, I like your guesstimated top 10 guys for minutes this season but hope Ravet proves ready to be more in the 6-8 range. My understanding is Woolridge and Ravet are only true PGs on the roster (Gilder could maybe help there but definitely not his best role, and I don’t see Ayayi being an answer at PG...ever). Ravet needs to earn regular minutes if this team doesn’t want it’s entire season to hinge on a single PG coming off a major injury (Woolridge).
                  Agreed about PG mins probably going to Woolridge+Ravet.

It makes me wonder about the prediction from Mgadfly which has neither in the top 6. Maybe he's thinking or hoping gilder converts to PG.

Comment

• ZagRecruitWatch
                    Kennel Club Alum
                    • Jul 2019

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post

I can promise you that all the freshman are on campus. New student orientation started on the 23rd and classes begin on the 27th. I would imagine all the other players are on campus putting in work in the gym but if they aren't they will be tomorrow.

Comment

• Reborn
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2007

Right now about all I can say is I'm glad we have twelve very good players. Let's see! How many players are coming off injuries? Tillie, Gilder, Woolridge, Arlauskas. Are these players going to be able to play at the 100% level? How long will they be able to play before they are reinjured?

The other confusing thing about LTownzag's question regarding playing time is "does he mean the playing time at the beginning of the season?" Or does he mean "minutes played by the end of the OOC schedule?" Or "minutes played by the end of the year?" I mention this because I believe that the "average minutes played" is going to change several times between the beginning of the year, by the beginning of conference play, and by the beginning of the conference tournament. If there ever was a year that the "minutes played" at the beginning of the year was insignificant, it is this year. It really doesn't matter how we rank them right now because I can almost guarantee you that it's going to change probably several times.

Because of the number of players who are coming off injuries, I don't think anyone will red-shirt. I'm really not sure how Few is going to manage the minutes played, but I'm thinking they all will be playing at some point and in some games. It's one thing to perform in practice and another to perform in real games. So I think all of the players will be given a chance to play in games. I also don't know how much of a difference there is between Timme and Ballo, or Ballo and Zakharov? Or the difference between Arlauskas and Watson?

Having said all of this, here are my guesses (My guesses are only for the minutes played in our OOC games):

Kispert, Watson, Gilder, Timme: Between 25-30 minutes
                      Tillie, Petrusev, Woolridge around 20 minutes
                      Ayayi, Ravet around 15 minutes
                      Ballo, Arlauskas, Zacharov ten minutes.
                      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• LTownZag
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Reborn View Post

The other confusing thing about LTownzag's question regarding playing time is "does he mean the playing time at the beginning of the season?" Or does he mean "minutes played by the end of the OOC schedule?" Or "minutes played by the end of the year?"

Because of the number of players who are coming off injuries, I don't think anyone will red-shirt. I'm really not sure how Few is going to manage the minutes played, but I'm thinking they all will be playing at some point and in some games. It's one thing to perform in practice and another to perform in real games. So I think all of the players will be given a chance to play in games. I also don't know how much of a difference there is between Timme and Ballo, or Ballo and Zakharov? Or the difference between Arlauskas and Watson?

Having said all of this, here are my guesses (My guesses are only for the minutes played in our OOC games):

I'm asking and predicting entire season average MPG assuming no big injuries.

You predict 220 to 240 Zag minutes per game.
                        Let's hope for some great OT wins!

Comment

• Bogozags
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                          Right now about all I can say is I'm glad we have twelve very good players. Let's see! How many players are coming off injuries? Tillie, Gilder, Woolridge, Arlauskas. Are these players going to be able to play at the 100% level? How long will they be able to play before they are reinjured?

The other confusing thing about LTownzag's question regarding playing time is "does he mean the playing time at the beginning of the season?" Or does he mean "minutes played by the end of the OOC schedule?" Or "minutes played by the end of the year?" I mention this because I believe that the "average minutes played" is going to change several times between the beginning of the year, by the beginning of conference play, and by the beginning of the conference tournament. If there ever was a year that the "minutes played" at the beginning of the year was insignificant, it is this year. It really doesn't matter how we rank them right now because I can almost guarantee you that it's going to change probably several times.

Reborn,

Minutes is a topic about which we can all speculate and I'd imagine that in the first couple of weeks it will be a learning process to absorb Few's offence and defence style. Once that is accomplished and actually during this learning process, players will be constantly evaluated to see which of the eight new players adjust the quickest and show the most promise. As you stated practice and game play will be completely different and the latter will determine PT as the season progresses.

Just my speculation but with Ballo's upside, he could well be getting more minutes than some would think. I have stated before IMO he will be the surprise of the season...his ability to LEARN to play "D" at this level - keeping out of foul trouble, will be key in earning PT.

It took Rui about 1.5 seasons to learn how to play within the system on both ends of the court and I'm hoping that with Ballo, the language difference will not have that intense of an effect on his development, especially with two other players speaking/translating for him - he should be able to pick things up pretty quickly...fingers are crossed!

Comment

• ZagRecruitWatch
                            Kennel Club Alum
                            • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
                            Reborn,

Minutes is a topic about which we can all speculate and I'd imagine that in the first couple of weeks it will be a learning process to absorb Few's offence and defence style. Once that is accomplished and actually during this learning process, players will be constantly evaluated to see which of the eight new players adjust the quickest and show the most promise. As you stated practice and game play will be completely different and the latter will determine PT as the season progresses.

Just my speculation but with Ballo's upside, he could well be getting more minutes than some would think. I have stated before IMO he will be the surprise of the season...his ability to LEARN to play "D" at this level - keeping out of foul trouble, will be key in earning PT.

It took Rui about 1.5 seasons to learn how to play within the system on both ends of the court and I'm hoping that with Ballo, the language difference will not have that intense of an effect on his development, especially with two other players speaking/translating for him - he should be able to pick things up pretty quickly...fingers are crossed!
                            Great points. I think Ballo's "D" will not only be key but the kid has a natural ability to rebound the rock. Of course he had his 30 point-30 rebound game but if people saw the FIBA tournament he was always in the right spot and battling for a rebound. He really is built freakishly like Shaq I guess hence the name baby Shaq.

Comment

• soccerdud
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jul 2009

I'm asking and predicting entire season average MPG assuming no big injuries.

You predict 220 to 240 Zag minutes per game.
                              Let's hope for some great OT wins!
                              mine:

PG - Woolridge (25 mpg), Gilder (10 mpg), Ravet (5 mpg)

SG - Gilder (20 mpg), Ayayi (20 mpg), Ravet (spot duty)

SF - Kispert (28 mpg), Watson (12 mpg), Gilder (spot duty)

PF - Tillie (18mpg), Timme (17 mpg), Watson (5 mpg)

C - Petrusev (22 mpg), Ballo (12 mpg), Tillie (6 mpg)

Redshirt - Arlauskas, Zakharov.

Gilder, Kispert are top 2 and Few's security blanket. Bigs are a fairly fluid rotation allowing for matchups, foul trouble, etc-- but with Tillie clearly leading the way. Don't see us playing much of Kispert at the 2 or Tillie/Timme at the 3, as some have been suggesting.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
                                Reborn,

I don't think that the staff will worry about Ballo staying out of foul trouble, there's so many quality bigs on this year's team. What will definitely accelerate his development is having two French speaking teammates who know what Few wants.

Comment

Working...
                                X