Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I Don't Know

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post

The other confusing thing about LTownzag's question regarding playing time is "does he mean the playing time at the beginning of the season?" Or does he mean "minutes played by the end of the OOC schedule?" Or "minutes played by the end of the year?"

Because of the number of players who are coming off injuries, I don't think anyone will red-shirt. I'm really not sure how Few is going to manage the minutes played, but I'm thinking they all will be playing at some point and in some games. It's one thing to perform in practice and another to perform in real games. So I think all of the players will be given a chance to play in games. I also don't know how much of a difference there is between Timme and Ballo, or Ballo and Zakharov? Or the difference between Arlauskas and Watson?

Having said all of this, here are my guesses (My guesses are only for the minutes played in our OOC games):

Kispert, Watson, Gilder, Timme: Between 25-30 minutes
    Tillie, Petrusev, Woolridge around 20 minutes
    Ayayi, Ravet around 15 minutes
    Ballo, Arlauskas, Zacharov ten minutes.
    I'm asking and predicting entire season average MPG assuming no big injuries.

You predict 220 to 240 Zag minutes per game.
    Let's hope for some great OT wins!

Right now about all I can say is I'm glad we have twelve very good players. Let's see! How many players are coming off injuries? Tillie, Gilder, Woolridge, Arlauskas. Are these players going to be able to play at the 100% level? How long will they be able to play before they are reinjured?

The other confusing thing about LTownzag's question regarding playing time is "does he mean the playing time at the beginning of the season?" Or does he mean "minutes played by the end of the OOC schedule?" Or "minutes played by the end of the year?" I mention this because I believe that the "average minutes played" is going to change several times between the beginning of the year, by the beginning of conference play, and by the beginning of the conference tournament. If there ever was a year that the "minutes played" at the beginning of the year was insignificant, it is this year. It really doesn't matter how we rank them right now because I can almost guarantee you that it's going to change probably several times.

Because of the number of players who are coming off injuries, I don't think anyone will red-shirt. I'm really not sure how Few is going to manage the minutes played, but I'm thinking they all will be playing at some point and in some games. It's one thing to perform in practice and another to perform in real games. So I think all of the players will be given a chance to play in games. I also don't know how much of a difference there is between Timme and Ballo, or Ballo and Zakharov? Or the difference between Arlauskas and Watson?

Having said all of this, here are my guesses (My guesses are only for the minutes played in our OOC games):

Kispert, Watson, Gilder, Timme: Between 25-30 minutes
    Tillie, Petrusev, Woolridge around 20 minutes
    Ayayi, Ravet around 15 minutes
    Ballo, Arlauskas, Zacharov ten minutes.
    Reborn,

Minutes is a topic about which we can all speculate and I'd imagine that in the first couple of weeks it will be a learning process to absorb Few's offence and defence style. Once that is accomplished and actually during this learning process, players will be constantly evaluated to see which of the eight new players adjust the quickest and show the most promise. As you stated practice and game play will be completely different and the latter will determine PT as the season progresses.

Just my speculation but with Ballo's upside, he could well be getting more minutes than some would think. I have stated before IMO he will be the surprise of the season...his ability to LEARN to play "D" at this level - keeping out of foul trouble, will be key in earning PT.

It took Rui about 1.5 seasons to learn how to play within the system on both ends of the court and I'm hoping that with Ballo, the language difference will not have that intense of an effect on his development, especially with two other players speaking/translating for him - he should be able to pick things up pretty quickly...fingers are crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Reborn,

Minutes is a topic about which we can all speculate and I'd imagine that in the first couple of weeks it will be a learning process to absorb Few's offence and defence style. Once that is accomplished and actually during this learning process, players will be constantly evaluated to see which of the eight new players adjust the quickest and show the most promise. As you stated practice and game play will be completely different and the latter will determine PT as the season progresses.

Just my speculation but with Ballo's upside, he could well be getting more minutes than some would think. I have stated before IMO he will be the surprise of the season...his ability to LEARN to play "D" at this level - keeping out of foul trouble, will be key in earning PT.

It took Rui about 1.5 seasons to learn how to play within the system on both ends of the court and I'm hoping that with Ballo, the language difference will not have that intense of an effect on his development, especially with two other players speaking/translating for him - he should be able to pick things up pretty quickly...fingers are crossed!
    Great points. I think Ballo's "D" will not only be key but the kid has a natural ability to rebound the rock. Of course he had his 30 point-30 rebound game but if people saw the FIBA tournament he was always in the right spot and battling for a rebound. He really is built freakishly like Shaq I guess hence the name baby Shaq.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post

mine:

PG - Woolridge (25 mpg), Gilder (10 mpg), Ravet (5 mpg)

SG - Gilder (20 mpg), Ayayi (20 mpg), Ravet (spot duty)

SF - Kispert (28 mpg), Watson (12 mpg), Gilder (spot duty)

PF - Tillie (18mpg), Timme (17 mpg), Watson (5 mpg)

C - Petrusev (22 mpg), Ballo (12 mpg), Tillie (6 mpg)

Redshirt - Arlauskas, Zakharov.

Gilder, Kispert are top 2 and Few's security blanket. Bigs are a fairly fluid rotation allowing for matchups, foul trouble, etc-- but with Tillie clearly leading the way. Don't see us playing much of Kispert at the 2 or Tillie/Timme at the 3, as some have been suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Reborn,

I don't think that the staff will worry about Ballo staying out of foul trouble, there's so many quality bigs on this year's team. What will definitely accelerate his development is having two French speaking teammates who know what Few wants.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I don't think that the staff will worry about Ballo staying out of foul trouble, there's so many quality bigs on this year's team. What will definitely accelerate his development is having two French speaking teammates who know what Few wants.
    Tiille especially will be nice to have around even though him and Ballo play completely different styles.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post

I'm suggesting these averages based on an understanding that in some games there will be players who play more than their average and in some games they will play less than their average. And in some games some players may not play at all because of injuries. Or they may not play at all because of the team they are playing (let's say North Carolina for example). Few may only play eight guys vs North Carolina for example. Because some players didn't play that particular game should not be used to describe minutes per game. I do have a feeling that we will see players sitting out some because of injuries this year. Some out of conference games will be easier than others where players who are banged up won't have to play as much or not play at all. In a normal season I would not have the total minutes up to 220-240, but in terms of injuries I don't think this is going to be a normal season. Thus, that's why I said I'm glad we have twelve really good players, all who will play this year. No redshirts.
    Last edited by Reborn; 08-25-2019 at 04:03 PM.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I'm suggesting these averages based on an understanding that in some games there will be players who play more than their average and in some games they will play less than their average. And in some games some players may not play at all because of injuries. I do have a feeling that we will see players sitting out some because of injuries this year. Some out of conference games will be easier than others where players who are banged up won't have to play as much or not play at all. In a normal season I would not have the total minutes up to 220-240, but in terms of injuries I don't think this is going to be a normal season. Thus, that's why I said I'm glad we have twelve really good players, all who will play this year. No redshirts.
    Bornie, I don't expect to see many more redshirts, except for medical reasons. We really haven't had many over the past 5-6 years. Seems like a good chunk of our players are here on the three year plan, Josh and Karno being the exceptions, and both were medical redshirts. With the growth overseas basketball, there are many more professional opportunities available today.

Rui was on a 3 year plan from the start. He's turned me into a Cup Noodles fan, the beef teriyaki flavor is pretty tasty, and a bargain at 78 cents. lol, considering all the money we've been shelling out for my son's upcoming wedding, I'll be subsisting on Cup Noodles until Christmas.

[QUOTE=TexasZagFan; considering all the money we've been shelling out for my son's upcoming wedding, I'll be subsisting on Cup Noodles until Christmas.[/QUOTE]

This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

During the FIBA U19 tournament this summer, Arlauskas was described as a good defender who can make the 3 and doesn't make mistakes while starting for his national team and playing major minutes as a forward. He may here to be a glue guy like Jones, Hart and Dranginis. Maybe that role has him playing this year. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBunnieRancher View Post
    During the FIBA U19 tournament this summer, Arlauskas was described as a good defender who can make the 3 and doesn't make mistakes while starting for his national team and playing major minutes as a forward. He may here to be a glue guy like Jones, Hart and Dranginis. Maybe that role has him playing this year. Food for thought.
    I see Kispert as the main glue guy for the next couple years. Who knows though we could see a sharp rise in Kisperts scoring numbers as he steps into a bigger role this season.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagRecruitWatch View Post
    I see Kispert as the main glue guy for the next couple years. Who knows though we could see a sharp rise in Kisperts scoring numbers as he steps into a bigger role this season.
    Kispert might be a 2nd or third option in the offense this year and Arlauskas probably will redshirt but it didn't seem like anybody could figure out a role for him thus the redshirt so I thought I would share what I heard about his game.

Because I know so little, I've got to trust the analysts who rate the incoming players. Arlauskas and Zakharov were ranked 44th and 46th respectively, which was higher than Timme. So that's why I predict they will NOT redshirt.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Because I know so little, I've got to trust the analysts who rate the incoming players. Arlauskas and Zakharov were ranked 44th and 46th respectively, which was higher than Timme. So that's why I predict they will NOT redshirt.

Go Zags!!!
    247 ranks Aroauskas i44, but they also list his composite as 135, so there's some difference of opinion. And Timme's composite is better than his 247 ranking, 41 if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    247 ranks Aroauskas i44, but they also list his composite as 135, so there's some difference of opinion. And Timme's composite is better than his 247 ranking, 41 if I recall.
    I have watched all of these guys play in depth and even some of them in person. IMO Timme is the most college ready recruit we have followed by Ballo. Arlauskas is by far the most green player I have seen this summer. He shows a lot of promise but his jumper is inconsistent and his defense on and off the ball leaves something to be desired. Arlauskas could really benefit from a redshirt because right now I see him as a 4 year guy who will get drafted in his junior year if he takes a year to work on his body and shot. As for Pavel, I don't think redshirts but ends up losing all important minutes to Ballo.