Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did you know that the WCC just got a new logo?

I think giving it a 'meh' might be a bit generous.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I hadn't seen your comment or I would've included you. You have serious background in all this branding stuff, communications stuff.
    Yup, more than a little.

It gets decent marks for being safe and uncontroversial, not much in the way of bold and cutting edge.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

To me, the color scheme and overall design is a bit early 2000s and sleepy.

It doesn't look to me as if the money we are bringing to them is being used very wisely....just sayin' (snarky)

Smile ...finally...

Kiddwell's been waiting and waiting for just the right time to get that first tattoo!

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

I'd like to see what Woohoo could have come up with in MSPaint.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I'd like to see what Woohoo could have come up with in MSPaint.
    Does he do those, or is Francis the genius behind them?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Kiddwell's been waiting and waiting for just the right time to get that first tattoo!

I hope it has more staying power than those barbed wire ones in the late 90’s/early 2000’s

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post

I'm not getting mine until the Zags win the title!!!

Better hurry, too, because I've been seen shaking hands with Thomas Jefferson, and he looks younger than me!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Didn’t they move away from the oldest logo when BYU joined the league? Was it too awkward to add a star for Provo somewhere in the first C?
    I am with this, first thing I noticed was the absence of BYU in provo, UT.
    but from the point of view of the WCC, its basketball only, BYU does not other competing with WCC teams other than basketball teams, is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilGolfZag View Post
    To me, the color scheme and overall design is a bit early 2000s and sleepy.
    That’s the first thing I thought, who picked that color? The one thing they got right was the decision to actually change the logo. Because the last one, in my best Bill Walton, was just awful.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

The design is better than the old. It's the color that I dont like. Many other color options better than what was chosen.
    America's Team!

"WCC" from Raise's post is easily the cleanest and identifiable. Elegant and non pretentious. Sometimes flashy and "artistic" are to be avoidedSimple is better.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    "WCC" from Raise's post is easily the cleanest and identifiable. Elegant and non pretentious. Sometimes flashy and "artistic" are to be avoidedSimple is better.

No idea you went to Art Center College of Design in Pasadena?

I used to work at the Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena looking at blood flow mathematics. But I did drive by the Art Institute there once. ….once. Just not my thing.…..back then

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I used to work at the Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena looking at blood flow mathematics. But I did drive by the Art Institute there once. ….once. Just not my thing.…..back then
    Call it osmosis, then. Marvelous place, Art Center. Knew the longtime prexy there, David Brown, very well.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    I am with this, first thing I noticed was the absence of BYU in provo, UT.
    but from the point of view of the WCC, its basketball only, BYU does not other competing with WCC teams other than basketball teams, is that right?
    I believe they compete in the WCC in all sports with the exception of football of course. I know for certain they compete in women's volleyball and are a powerhouse. The WCC was already strong in that sport and BYU has added to that. Generally considered the best non P5 conference.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Milton Glaser is turning over in his grave. And he’s still alive at 90.
    Nice!

Huge Glaser fan right here. I always like those crabby old legends of design. Saul Bass is right there, too. 'Course he's pining for the fjords...
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    Nice!

Huge Glaser fan right here. I always like those crabby old legends of design. Saul Bass is right there, too. 'Course he's pining for the fjords...
    So you must be familiar with U&LC, the bible of mid-century font design that involved so many power designers such as Herb Lubalin, Bass, Glaser, George Lois, et al. I knew most of them. Glaser was/is a pizzer as is George.

So you must be familiar with U&LC, the bible of mid-century font design that involved so many power designers such as Herb Lubalin, Bass, Glaser, George Lois, et al. I knew most of them. Glaser was/is a pizzer as is George.
    Yep! Oh man, that is so cool! I am a pro letterer these days (a term that would be utterly unknown to the greats you just listed), and find most of my direction in the work of the past. These days it is Ken Barber carrying the torch of the masters, guiding the kids to do it right with pencils and practice. After attending a workshop of his this past June in SLC, Mrs. Phish and I are working to find a way out to Cooper Union to take another class of his next year. I miss NYC and can't wait to see it with a designer's eye and more time.

Five stars for the Lubalin reference.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Cooper was the epicenter for the power designers, but don’t sleep on Parsons, SVA, RISD, Art Center and Pratt. Let’s talk. Who was the great female designer who worked with Herb?

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    Yep! Oh man, that is so cool! I am a pro letterer these days (a term that would be utterly unknown to the greats you just listed), and find most of my direction in the work of the past. These days it is Ken Barber carrying the torch of the masters, guiding the kids to do it right with pencils and practice. After attending a workshop of his this past June in SLC, Mrs. Phish and I are working to find a way out to Cooper Union to take another class of his next year. I miss NYC and can't wait to see it with a designer's eye and more time.

Five stars for the Lubalin reference.

Cooper was the epicenter for the power designers, but don’t sleep on Parsons, SVA, RISD, Art Center and Pratt. Let’s talk. Who was the great female designer who worked with Herb?
    I don't know! I'm intrigued.

That guy was cool in 900 different ways. Norman Rockwell painted him redesigning the Saturday Evening Post type!

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    It's kind of ugly...
    My first thought!

It doesn’t look contemporary.

Done by an intern with no design background? I like the blue-green color range, but that choice is too much in the middle and too saturated. It also doesn’t describe West Coast waters.
    Parlez-vous français?

Unhappy So I'm lookin' in the mirror,...

...tattoos go on foreheads, right?

:[
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!